Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

Armenian Community Of Istanbul Shrinking

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Armenian Community Of Istanbul Shrinking

YEREVAN, FEBRUARY 15, ARMENPRESS: The Armenian community of Istanbul, Turkey, numbering between 70,000 to 80,000 people is shrinking and though there are Armenian schools and churches the community is losing its role.
    Ruben Safrastian, head of Turkish division at the Institute of Oriental Studies, an affiliation of the National Academy of Sciences, says the majority of Istanbul Armenians speak and write more Turkish than Armenian. Istanbul along with Tbilisi, the capital of Georgia, were the main hubs of Armenian culture, art and press. Some three hundred Armenian language newspapers, magazines and other periodicals were published in Istanbul since 1832. Today there are six Armenian newspapers and magazines.
    "The main condition for preserving once identity is the native language and if an Armenian does not speak it, he does not fit perfectly into his or her national identity," he says. But as an important trend he pointed out the community's invigorated involvement in the country's public and political processes after decades of cautious behavior after the 1915 genocide. This trend has been sparked largely by developments regarding Hrant Dink, chief editor of a bilingual Turkish-Armenian weekly Agos, who has been advocating for years that Turkey must recognize the genocide of Armenians, but the government continues its denialist policy.
    Safrastian says recently tens of books were published in Turkish about the role and place of Armenians in the Ottoman empire, about their immense contribution to development of Turkish culture and art. He says works of Armenian writers are being published in Turkish, an unprecedented thing, but Safrastian attributes it to Turkey's softening of its policy on national minorities after it began talks on EU accession.
    Despite these positive trends, Safrastian says it is still a difficult thing to be an Armenian in Turkey. "If a man declares himself Armenian in Turkey he has to be very courageous," he says.
    "All truth passes through three stages:
    First, it is ridiculed;
    Second, it is violently opposed; and
    Third, it is accepted as self-evident."

Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

Armenian-turkish Editor Says Turkey Must Learn Its History

ISTANBUL, FEBRUARY 14, ARMENPRESS: In an interview to the Turkish daily Radical, Hrant Dink, the chief editor of Istanbul-based bilingual (Turkish and Armenian) weekly Agos said now was time for Turkey to start examining its past in order to learn the truth about what had happened to Armenians in 1915 and several years later.
    "Without talking to itself on this subject Turkey will not be able to talk about it to Armenians," Dink said, adding that opening of borders between the two countries and establishment of diplomatic relations would become a strong impetus, the driving force for resolving all existing sensitive problems, spoiling relations of the tow nations. "People do not want to dig deep in the history and remain there. The most important thing is to save the future of both nations," Dink said,. Dink was acquitted earlier this month by a Turkish court. He was on trial for saying the Turkish national anthem and a national oath were discriminatory. Dink was facing charges for remarks he made at a human rights conference in 2002 in southeastern Turkey criticizing Turkey's national anthem and an oath taken by Turkish schoolchildren each day in which they say, "Happy is the one who says, 'I am a Turk.'"
    A court in the southeastern city of Sanliurfa acquitted Dink, a Turkish citizen and editor of the bilingual Armenian-Turkish newspaper Agos. Dink did not attend the trial. In October, Dink was convicted of "insulting Turkishness" and received a six-month suspended sentence. The case had become one of several prominent prosecutions over speech that prompted questions about Turkey's dedication to democracy from officials of the European Union, which Turkey is trying to join. Dink appealed that sentence and said he would leave the country unless his conviction was overturned.
    Separately, a Turkish prosecutor filed new charges against Dink in December for insulting the "Turkish judiciary" with his comments. That trial will start in Istanbul on May 16.
    "All truth passes through three stages:
    First, it is ridiculed;
    Second, it is violently opposed; and
    Third, it is accepted as self-evident."

Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

Comment

Originally posted by Gavur
      "If a man declares himself Armenian in Turkey he has to be very courageous," he says.
      I've done this quite frequently (with some discretion...though not always...amazing how many supposed Turkish people I ended up finding out were Kurds...who then wanted to tell me their stories of discrimination and cultural supression...etc...in earlier days in very hushed tones while looking about to make sure no one else was listening...more recently proudly and loudly...)....only ever resulted in violence ocne...the fight was broken up before the rather drunk Turk was subjected to severe bodily punishment...most Turks however expressed condolences and mentioned good things about Armenians...though once a really cute girl (whom I suspect was not a natural blond...) wouldn't talk to me anymore (after her repeatedly not understanding when I explained I was "Ermeni"...and having to get it explained to her in Turkish...)...lol...so it goes...and she seemed so interested when I told her how my grandparents had once lived in Istanbul and how I'd had recently visited one of their old homes..."no they are no longer alive and i have no other relatives left in Anatolia...why is that?...well I have a story to tell you..." ...lol

Comment

Working...
      X