Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

Armenian Church attacked: Kayseri

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Armenian Church attacked: Kayseri

AN ASSAULT TO ARMENIAN CHURCH IN KAYSERI

ISTANBUL (DIHA) -While the door of Kayseri Surp Krikor Lusavoric church
    was shot 10 times it was learnt that slogans against christianity
    were shouted.

In the written statement made by Turkey Armenians Patriarch it was
    stated that the reactions of muslims against caricatures published in
    a magazine in Denmark are continuing. In the statement which said that
    the reactions are extensified on the agencies of the western states ,
    the assaults against religious communities have been increased. In
    the statement it was said that the events of killing of catholic
    nun Andrea Santoro, teasing of catholic nun Martin Kmered in Izmir,
    writing slogans to the walls of 2 christian churchs in Istanbul are
    continuing as against the west and christianity.

According to information quoted by members of Armenian community to
    the Armenian Patriarch, persons who are not identified had shot 10
    times on the door of Kayseri Surp Krikor Lusavoric Church. It was
    stated that they shouted slogans against christianity.
    General Antranik (1865-1927): “I am not a nationalist. I recognize only one nation, the nation of the oppressed.”

GROUP CHANTING ANTI-CHRISTIAN SLOGANS FIRES SHOTS AT ARMENIAN CHURCH IN CENTRAL TURKEY
    Selcan Hacaoglu

AP Worldstream
    Feb 15, 2006

A group of people chanting "God is Great!" in Arabic and shouting
    anti-Christian slogans fired shots at an Armenian church in central
    Turkey, the Armenian Patriarchate in Turkey said Wednesday.

Monday's shooting was the third reported attack against Christians
    in predominantly Muslim Turkey this month after the killing of an
    Italian Catholic priest and an attack on another Catholic priest. No
    one was injured in Monday's shooting.

The attacks coincided with outrage in the Muslim world against the
    publication of caricatures depicting Islam's Prophet Muhammad.

The shooting Monday occurred in the city of Kayseri, where St.

Gregory the Illuminator _ founder of the Armenian church _ was baptized
    in the church that still bears his name.

The church now holds just two or three services a year and less than
    a dozen Armenians now live in the city.

"According to members of the tiny Armenian community in Kayseri,
    unknown people fired 10 times at the door of the church," chanting
    "Allah Akbar," as well as anti-Christian slogans, the Istanbul-based
    patriarchate said in a statement.

The governor's office immediately took security measures around the
    church and placed police officers on duty in the church's garden,
    the patriarchate said.

"It is their most natural right for pious Muslims to express their
    resentment in the face of provocative caricatures published in Denmark,
    but I can't understand actions of violence against the worship places
    of Christian citizens in our country," said Mesrob II, the Armenian
    patriarch.

On Feb. 5, Rev. Andrea Santoro, a 60-year-old Italian, was shot dead
    as he knelt in prayer at his church in the Black Sea city of Trabzon.

A 16-year-old boy has been charged with murder.

Four days later, a group of young men attacked and threatened another
    Catholic priest in the Aegean port city of Izmir.
    General Antranik (1865-1927): “I am not a nationalist. I recognize only one nation, the nation of the oppressed.”

Comment

I'm sure the EU will love to hear about this.

Comment

They will ignore it like they always do.

Comment

Originally posted by AzatHayrenik
          They will ignore it like they always do.
          After this cartoon hurricane against the European countries, one would think that those nations and the EU will think twice before allowing almost 100 million muslims into the EU ...

But I personally, agree with you. They ignored grosser acts against "Human Rights", and many flaws in the Turkish constitution and penal code that are in total contradiction with EU guiding rules and EU members countries constitutions.

For God's sake, they accepted Turkey while it's STILL REFUSING to recognized "Cyprus" which will be a fellow member in the EU !!!

Comment

I think those events should make EU think twice not to allow Turkey in EU. Accepting Turkey into EU will heal this kind of division in the world. What you are suggesting is EU to have more skeptic/racist stance towards Muslim in general. I dont think it will help Armenians to benefit from the current division between east and west.

Those events are ugly but Turkish police government and state has a firm stance toward such actions. And religous groups in Turkey are against those kind of ugly events.

HAving said that these events in Turkey can not be a fraction of events happening in Europe towards muslims. Just look at the racism report of EU, and look at the number of hate crimes and attacks towards muslims in Holland, France Germany, Sweden, UK and Denmark. When you compare those hate crimes, these incidents are just a fraction. But for me they are not tolerable, and should be punished. I think those people probably thought that there were missionaries in that Chruch, cause in general people have an idea that Churches are centers of missionary activity. It could be true for newly built protestant ones owned by far right christian groups. But these historic churches are definetly not for missionary activity. People in Turkey does not know this have an opposite idea/feeling.

Anyways, division and exclusion is not a solution, I think thats what you are suggesting. It'll always be counter productive and increase racism in West. HAving healthy relations and dialogue between Muslims and Christians is essential in order to overcome clashes of civilizations.

Originally posted by maral_m79
            After this cartoon hurricane against the European countries, one would think that those nations and the EU will think twice before allowing almost 100 million muslims into the EU ...

But I personally, agree with you. They ignored grosser acts against "Human Rights", and many flaws in the Turkish constitution and penal code that are in total contradiction with EU guiding rules and EU members countries constitutions.

For God's sake, they accepted Turkey while it's STILL REFUSING to recognized "Cyprus" which will be a fellow member in the EU !!!

Comment

The EU will ignore this, it ignores every Turkish Atrocity.

Comment

Originally posted by TurQ
                I think those events should make EU think twice not to allow Turkey in EU. Accepting Turkey into EU will heal this kind of division in the world. What you are suggesting is EU to have more skeptic/racist stance towards Muslim in general. I dont think it will help Armenians to benefit from the current division between east and west.

Those events are ugly but Turkish police government and state has a firm stance toward such actions. And religous groups in Turkey are against those kind of ugly events.

HAving said that these events in Turkey can not be a fraction of events happening in Europe towards muslims. Just look at the racism report of EU, and look at the number of hate crimes and attacks towards muslims in Holland, France Germany, Sweden, UK and Denmark. When you compare those hate crimes, these incidents are just a fraction. But for me they are not tolerable, and should be punished. I think those people probably thought that there were missionaries in that Chruch, cause in general people have an idea that Churches are centers of missionary activity. It could be true for newly built protestant ones owned by far right christian groups. But these historic churches are definetly not for missionary activity. People in Turkey does not know this have an opposite idea/feeling.

Anyways, division and exclusion is not a solution, I think thats what you are suggesting. It'll always be counter productive and increase racism in West. HAving healthy relations and dialogue between Muslims and Christians is essential in order to overcome clashes of civilizations.
                I agree with you. I think the only way to bridge the cultural gap is continue the dialog and bring Turkey closer to the West than the East. Isn't it ironic, though, that Turks are shooting at an Armenian church, even though the Armenian community in Turkey was the first to condemn the cartoons? Likewise, the Armenian patriarchs in Jerusalem and Iran were among the first to come out against these cartoons. Perhaps if the Turkish press had done more to report the Armenian response to the cartoons, the Turkish people would reconsider their view of us as pariahs.

Comment

When it comes to Turks you guys use the easily the words "atrocity" "barbaric". I think this shows the racism in your national sub-councious.
                  Anyways EU should deal with their own hate crimes. Turkey takes swift measures against such crimes.

Also as a Greek you should deal with hatred towards Albanians and Turks/Pomaks in Greece.

Originally posted by Gondorian
                  The EU will ignore this, it ignores every Turkish Atrocity.

Comment

I know
                    Masrob Mutafyan was among the first to protest and condemn it. People dont know it. Assyrian Priest was in a rally a few days ago that protested the cartoons and he gave a speech.
                    Eastern Christians are in general are sensitive to religous feelings.

I appriciate the works of Armenian and Assyrian church in Turkey.

Originally posted by phantom
                    I agree with you. I think the only way to bridge the cultural gap is continue the dialog and bring Turkey closer to the West than the East. Isn't it ironic, though, that Turks are shooting at an Armenian church, even though the Armenian community in Turkey was the first to condemn the cartoons? Likewise, the Armenian patriarchs in Jerusalem and Iran were among the first to come out against these cartoons. Perhaps if the Turkish press had done more to report the Armenian response to the cartoons, the Turkish people would reconsider their view of us as pariahs.

Comment

Working...
                    X