Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

PBS Forced Producer By Harut Sassounian

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PBS Forced Producer By Harut Sassounian

California Courier Online, March 23, 2006

Commentary
    PBS Forced Producer to Revise
    Content of Genocide Documentary
    By Harut Sassounian
    Publisher, The California Courier

The Ombudsman for PBS, Michael Getler, revealed in a commentary last week
    that unnamed "top PBS officials" were involved in editing and revising the
    content of Andrew Goldberg's documentary on the Armenian Genocide that most
    PBS stations plan to air on April 17.

Getler quoted these PBS officials as saying: "We worked with the producer
    [Goldberg] through his final editing to ensure that the program met our
    standards. We, through Oregon Public Broadcasting, vetted its content with
    a historian and journalist unconnected with the show." These officials were
    also quoted as saying that they "were in contact with him [Goldberg]
    requesting script revisions" as he "was finishing" the documentary.
    This alarming revelation becomes even more ominous when coupled with the
    fact that PBS officials decided to supplement the show with a 25-minute
    debate on the Armenian Genocide with the participation of two genocide
    deniers.

These PBS officials and producer Goldberg should disclose to the public
    which segments of the documentary were added, deleted or altered as a
    result of such outside intervention. Could it be that the two Turkish
    denialists who were interviewed within the documentary were added at the
    insistence of PBS? What else was changed due to the censorship of the work
    of an independent producer? Furthermore, PBS should reveal the names of the
    "historian and journalist unconnected with the show" who "vetted" the
    documentary. Who are these two individuals and what changes did they
    recommend?

Getler stated in his lengthy commentary (4 times as long as this column)
    that PBS has received more than 6,000 e-mails protesting the panel
    discussion. More than 18,000 individuals have also objected by signing an
    online petition. As a result, Getler reported that PBS stations in 8 of the
    10 largest American cities do not plan to air the panel. This proves that
    the executives running the largest PBS stations nationwide disagree with
    those at PBS headquarters who decided that there was a need for such a
    panel! The programming directors of these major PBS stations said that the
    panel discussion did not add anything to the documentary.

The Ombudsman made one serious factual error in his commentary. He wrongly
    claimed that "a resolution [on the Armenian genocide] has not made its way
    through the full House or the U.S. Senate." Both in 1975 and 1984 the full
    House adopted resolutions to observe "a day of remembrance for all the
    victims of genocide, especially the 1.5 million people of Armenian ancestry
    who were the victims of the genocide perpetrated in Turkey between 1915 and
    1923."

Jacoba Atlas, the Senior Vice President of PBS programming, and her
    colleagues, by insisting on the airing of the panel discussion, have caused
    significant damage to the reputation and operations of PBS, making it the
    target of criticism by members of Congress, major newspapers such as the
    New York Times, the Washington Post, and the Los Angeles Times, TV
    stations, and tens of thousands of viewers who signed petitions and sent
    letters and e-mails to PBS.

On March 9, the Los Angeles Times published a commentary by Aris Janigian
    titled: "PBS' Perverse Genocide Debate." He accused Atlas and PBS of being
    "complicit in a murderous lie" by providing airtime and a forum to
    "deniers" and "falsifiers" of the Armenian Genocide. The L.A. Voice
    published an editorial on March 9, ridiculing both Atlas and PBS for
    treating the Armenian Genocide as a myth.

Current magazine published a lengthy article in its March 6 issue, titled:
    "Panel show riles rather than soothes genocide furor." The magazine quoted
    Atlas as making yet another nonsensical statement as to why the panel
    discussion was necessary: "Our own presidents - both Bush and Clinton - did
    not call it genocide. Because they have declined to call it genocide, it
    raises questions. The Turkish government does not call it genocide." This
    is the same official who recently announced that PBS considers the Armenian
    Genocide "settled history!" If PBS acknowledges the facts of the Armenian
    Genocide, why then question it and put on the air deniers who say that it
    is a myth? Regarding statements made by U.S. presidents on the Armenian
    Genocide, one wonders why Atlas is ignoring the fact that Pres. Ronald
    Reagan issued a Presidential Proclamation in 1981 in which he used the term
    "Armenian Genocide"? Must every U.S. president utter the words Armenian
    Genocide before Ms. Atlas is satisfied
    that it is genocide? So what if the Turkish government does not call it
    genocide? The President of Iran does not recognize the Holocaust. Is that
    enough reason for Atlas to dispute the facts of the Holocaust and air a
    debate on PBS with neo-Nazis?

Prof. Dennis Papazian, who initially was reluctant to support the campaign
    against the panel discussion, sent the following e-mail to this writer
    after watching the tape of the debate between Omer Turan and Justin
    McCarthy (genocide deniers) and Peter Balakian and Taner Akcam: "I have
    just previewed the post documentary discussion and it made me sick to my
    stomach to see Justin McCarthy and the Turks come out with blatant lies and
    deceptive assertions. I thought Taner and Peter 'won the debate,' but the
    denialists undoubtedly would plant doubt in the minds of innocent American
    viewers." He then told this writer: "You did right to lead the attack
    against the showing of the 'discussion.' I personally would rather have
    neither shown than to show the discussion."
    In a new twist to his long-standing denialist views, Prof. McCarthy was
    quoted by WNBC-TV in New York City as saying on March 1 that he would
    classify the events of 1915 as "mutual genocide," with both sides killing
    each other. McCarthy has gone from being completely wrong to being half
    right! He is for the first time accusing the Turkish leaders of committing
    genocide against the Armenians! One wonders what his Turkish handlers would
    think of his new admission?

Two weeks ago, in an e-mail to this writer, Wayne Godwin, the then Acting
    President and Chief Operating Officer of PBS, made a lame, but
    understandable, attempt to come to the defense of Ms. Atlas, claiming that
    the decision on the panel was reached by "the entire senior content team."
    If that is true, then "the entire senior content team" at PBS has made a
    grave error, thus making it even more problematic than a mistake by a
    single executive.

Finally, around 20 members of Congress have signed a joint letter to PBS
    asking that the panel discussion not be aired. As Congress provides a
    significant portion of the PBS budget, PBS executives can ill afford to
    ignore such letters from those who hold the purse strings.
    Please continue to sign the online petition and circulate it to everyone in
    your e-mail address book or organization. Here is the link to the petition:
    http://www.PetitionOnline.com/pbspanel. Also, send an e-mail to Ms. Atlas
    at: [email protected] as well as to the new president of PBS: Paula Kerger at:
    [email protected].
    "All truth passes through three stages:
    First, it is ridiculed;
    Second, it is violently opposed; and
    Third, it is accepted as self-evident."

Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

Professor Peter Balakian Responds To The Pbs Ombudsman

March 22, 2006 Dear Mr. Getler, I would like to correct the misrepresentation of my involvement with the Armenian Genocide documentary in your Ombudsman column of 3/11, “ Coming Soon to Viewers Like You: “The Armenian Genocide.” You write “PBS threatened to pull the documentary if he [Balakian] and another genocide scholar declined to participate in the panel discussion.” That is false. What I have told several journalists in the past month is the following: I was told (in fact three times) by Oregon PBS producer David Davis that PBS would not run the documentary if a post-show panel with deniers were not made. Mr. Davis made it clear that this was the direct word from Jacoba Atlas at national headquarters. (I had sent her a letter in November appealing to her to drop the idea of a post-show on ethical and historical grounds.) I never said nor implied that the documentary would not air if I—personally—were not on the panel. That would be, of course, absurd. Naturally, PBS would find someone else to take my place. I decided to go forward with the “debate” after all my efforts to convince PBS to not make it failed because I have experience on TV and radio with this subject and felt I could help shape the conversation in an ethical way –and perhaps a way that would expose Turkish denial more fully for what it is. The fact remains that PBS would not run a fair and rich documentary about the Armenian Genocide-- one that included nearly a dozen Turkish voices--without running what many in the genocide studies consider to be an unethical privileging of denial. This is not a free speech issue—as much of the scholarly community has made clear. The deniers are free in this country to express themselves without fear of prosecution or harm—but this does not guarantee them right to an elite forums. The leading authority on Holocaust and genocide denial, Professor Deborah Lipstadt has written: “Denial of genocide—whether that of the Turks against the Armenians, or the Nazis against the Jews—is not an act of historical reinterpretation. Rather, the deniers sow confusion by appearing to be engaged in a genuine scholarly effort. The abundance of documents and testimonies that confirm the genocide are dismissed as contrived, coerced, or forgeries and falsehoods. The deniers aim at convincing innocent third parties that there is ‘another side of the story.’ Free speech does not guarantee the deniers the right to be treated as the ‘other side of a legitimate debate,’ when there is no credible ‘other side’; nor does it guarantee the deniers space in the classroom or curriculum, or in any other forum.” Like many others, I fear that PBS resorted to the post-show panel as a kind of fire insurance because of the negative experience of harassment it had with the Turkish government in 1988 after airing an Armenian Genocide documentary, as you note in your column. While this was no doubt an uncomfortable experience, many of us hoped that PBS would not feel that sense of intimidation this time. Many institutions and organization around the world in recent years have ceased paying attention to Turkish harassment. Lastly, I find Ms. Atlas’ explanation for the post-show program a bit disingenuous. She claims that its goal was not to provide a “platform for those who deny the genocide,” but to “explore how serious historians do their work and look at evidence.” However, by inviting two professional deniers (who have worked closed with the Turkish government) on to PBS, a large platform was provided for the repulsive lies, known as denial. And, in the twenty-five minutes we had there was not even a remote possibility that the show could explore how historians work. As fine a job as Scott Simon did hosting it, the post show is a staged “bake-off” and sadly a forum that abused the reality and memory of one of the major human rights crimes of our time. Having made these points, I still applaud PBS for putting on “The Armenian Genoicde,” which is a landmark documentary. Sincerely, Peter Balakian

First, it is ridiculed;

Comment

I'm wondering how popular is this Horut Sumsukyan among the diasporan Armenians, and how popular is his revenge-calling extremist style.

I search for the internet for his name, his name showed up with some terror events in US, firebombing Turkish consulate etc an ex-Asala. I'll be suprised if that militant Haut and this Calfornia Courier's Sumsukyan are different individuals.

Originally posted by Gavur
      California Courier Online, March 23, 2006

Commentary
      PBS Forced Producer to Revise
      Content of Genocide Documentary
      By Harut Sassounian

[email protected].

Comment

Originally posted by TurQ
        I'm wondering how popular is this Horut Sumsukyan among the diasporan Armenians, and how popular is his revenge-calling extremist style.

I search for the internet for his name, his name showed up with some terror events in US, firebombing Turkish consulate etc an ex-Asala. I'll be suprised if that militant Haut and this Calfornia Courier's Sumsukyan are different individuals.
        TurQ, if telling it like it is means being militant, then he's militant. But in my view, just because you don't sugar coat something doesn't mean that you are militant.

You should be surprised that so many Armenians are meek and relatively quiet in the face of 90 years of Turkish denial. You should be surprised that not more of us are like Harut.

Comment

He is not only telling, look at his style, he has more intentions than telling, I think I have read quite of his (press release like)articles, he's more than telling his ideas.

Look at this (From Rand Corporation)

MIPT Terrorism Knowledge Base

"...Justice Commandos for the Armenian Genocide attacked Diplomatic target (Jan. 28, 1982, United States)

".....
          The group, which has claimed responsibility for other terrorist attacks against Turkish diplomats, is based in Beirut where Harry Sassounian was born. Harry Sassounian's brother, Harout Sassounian, is also in custody charged with the October 6, 1980, firebombing of Arikan's Bel-Air home. The federal indictment charges him with using Molotov xxxxtails to firebomb Arikan's home...."

Originally posted by phantom
          TurQ, if telling it like it is means being militant, then he's militant. But in my view, just because you don't sugar coat something doesn't mean that you are militant.

You should be surprised that so many Armenians are meek and relatively quiet in the face of 90 years of Turkish denial. You should be surprised that not more of us are like Harut.

Comment

Thats good to know Phantom

His style is really bothering sort, more like slogans etc. and he openly advocates for taking eastern Anatolia. I think he prefers the problems to continue between Turks and Armenians in order to attract more readers.

You should be surprised that not more of us are like Harut.

Comment

Originally posted by TurQ
              Thats good to know Phantom

His style is really bothering sort, more like slogans etc. and he openly advocates for taking eastern Anatolia. I think he prefers the problems to continue between Turks and Armenians in order to attract more readers.
              I'm confused. Do you have a problem with his style now, or are you complaining about what he may have been doing 25 years ago?

I think he is just frustrated like many of us Armenians about Turkish government barbarity as it stands today. Example: requiring Turkish primary school children to do reports on why it was not Genocide, even in Armenian private schools. This is a government that should be apologizing, at the very least. Instead, it is unimaginable resources on denial and on blaming the victims.

Comment

Well from his articles it is obvious that he is not condemning his past, so I think it is normal to complain about it.
                Yes his revenge-calling style just sounds like a press release of a terrorist group.

I'm confused. Do you have a problem with his style now, or are you complaining about what he may have been doing 25 years ago?

I think he is just frustrated like many of us Armenians about Turkish government barbarity as it stands today. Example: requiring Turkish primary school children to do reports on why it was not Genocide, even in Armenian private schools. This is a government that should be apologizing, at the very least. Instead, it is unimaginable resources on denial and on blaming the victims.

Comment

I think Turq got his sassounians mixed those 2 are not the same persons.
                  First, it is ridiculed;

Comment

VP Leaves PBS after Providing Airtime to Genocide Deniers

Publié le : 20-06-2006

By Harut Sassounian

The New York Times reported on June 14 that Jacoba Atlas, the Senior Vice President of Programming at PBS (Public Broadcasting Service), would be leaving her post at the end of this month. She told the newspaper that she “did not know what she would do next.”

Her departure should not come as a surprise to those who have been following the recent controversial developments at PBS. As Senior Vice President of Programming, Ms. Atlas was the PBS executive that arranged the airing of a debate on the Armenian Genocide with the participation of two genocide denialists after the broadcast of Andrew Goldberg’s documentary on the Armenian Genocide on April 17.

By doing so, Ms. Atlas not only raised questions about the veracity of the Armenian Genocide, but also caused serious harm to PBS itself by antagonizing a large number of its viewers and supporters as well as many members of Congress who provide a major portion of its budget.

Ms. Atlas completely mishandled this highly controversial situation. When more than 30,000 viewers sent e-mails and signed a petition asking her not to provide a national platform to genocide deniers, she ignored them. When a major Armenian-American organization -- the ANCA – wrote her asking for a meeting in order to discuss this serious matter, she turned down its request. When 30 members of Congress sent a joint letter expressing their strong objection to the airing of the panel discussion, she dismissed their concerns, knowing full well that the Congress could cut the millions of dollars it provides in federal funding to PBS every year. She also ignored the dozens of articles on this nationwide controversy that appeared in the Washington Post, the New York Times, the Los Angeles Times, and many other publications.

All attempts to explain to Ms. Atlas that it was wrong to put genocide denialists on the air in order "to balance" a documentary on the Armenian Genocide, fell on deaf ears. Goldberg’s documentary did not need any balancing, as it already included comments by notorious denialists Yusuf Halacoglu and Gunduz Aktan. Furthermore, as the PBS Ombudsman revealed in a lengthy report, "top PBS officials," most probably including Ms. Atlas, were involved in editing and revising the contents of the documentary and “requesting script revisions.”

If Ms. Atlas was truly interested in further exploring the issue of the denial of the Armenian Genocide by the Turkish government, all she had to do was to convene a panel of experts who could have intelligently explained why and how mass murderers engage in the denial and cover up of crimes against humanity!

Finally, in early March, out of exasperation, this writer called for the dismissal of Ms. Atlas from PBS after she insulted the victims of the Armenian Genocide by stating that the Armenian and Jewish genocides were "not analogous." She made that offensive comment in response to persistent questions on whether she would also organize a debate on the Holocaust that would include Neo-Nazis or Holocaust revisionists to be aired after the broadcast of a documentary on the Holocaust!

According to reliable PBS sources, Ms. Atlas was let go after top management at PBS concluded that she mishandled the panel discussion and the resulting controversy, alienating many longtime PBS viewers and supporters.

To make matters worse, the House Appropriations Committee voted last week to substantially cut federal funding for Public Broadcasting for 2007 and none at all for 2009. Even though the Committee took this action mostly due to partisan politics, nevertheless, it was not helpful to PBS that one of its top executives had antagonized more than 30 members of Congress at a time when PBS is in desperate need of every single congressional vote and every dollar of revenue.

Following the departure of Ms. Atlas, Armenian-American community leaders should meet with Paula A. Kerger, the newly installed president of PBS, and patch up their differences. PBS provides a valuable service to the community at large and deserves to be fully supported. The poor judgments of a former executive should not leave a lasting rift between the Armenian-American community and public broadcasting. After all, most PBS viewers ended up not seeing the panel discussion that Ms. Atlas had gone out of her way to put together. The programming directors of most PBS stations nationwide, and particularly those in the largest cities, felt that the panel was unnecessary and did not add anything to the documentary!

After relations with PBS are patched up, the Armenian-American community should ask the Congressional Caucus on Armenian Issues -- more than 150 House members -- as well as the U.S. Senate, to reinstate the budget for public broadcasting when the proposed bill involving this issue reaches the House and Senate floors.
                    First, it is ridiculed;

Comment

Working...
                    X