Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

Atom Egoyan's Ararat To Be Screened In Turkey

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Atom Egoyan's Ararat To Be Screened In Turkey

ANKARA, MARCH 30, ARMENPRESS: Turkish CanalTurk will screen a film by Canadian Armenian director Atom Egoyan-Ararat- which is about the 1915 Armenian genocide. Before making this decision the company had conducted a survey among 21,000 Turks. Some 18,000 said they would like to see the film.
    The Turkish daily Milliyet writes that a Turkish company that wanted to screen the film in Turkey a couple of years ago had to revise its decision after receiving threats from a youth extremist organization. The CanalTurk, however, has cut off some scenes depicting massacres of Armenians by Turkish soldiers.
    "All truth passes through three stages:
    First, it is ridiculed;
    Second, it is violently opposed; and
    Third, it is accepted as self-evident."

Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

I watched it since it was in circulation long before on screen in Turkey. I think it is not the best movie that Egoyan made, but it was interesting to watch.

Comment

I think it was few years back, I heard that one of his movie will be shown in HBO, I was curious and watched a bit. I think the guy is kind of a sexual pervert. I am wondering if the conservative Armenians are proud of him or not

Originally posted by ScythianVizier
      I watched it since it was in circulation long before on screen in Turkey. I think it is not the best movie that Egoyan made, but it was interesting to watch.

Comment

Originally posted by TurQ
        I think it was few years back, I heard that one of his movie will be shown in HBO, I was curious and watched a bit. I think the guy is kind of a sexual pervert. I am wondering if the conservative Armenians are proud of him or not
        I don't like his movies. I don't find them particularly entertaining. But I am proud of him, because he is an accomplished director and there are many that love his cerebral and artistic (even if unentertaining) movies.

Comment

Egoyan is an artist - he is brilliant. And he is a unique talent and an increble filmaker. Unfortunatly Ararat is an intellectual movie (perhaps can even be described as quirky) with a great deal of subtlty & deapth (layers)...that most will not fully appreciate. IMO it is a masterpiece. It is not the do all and end of the Genocide - not by any means - and maybe it isn't the "movie of the Genocide" per se (though I doubt there is such a movie that can do it all and be commercially viable at the same time - though I have a concept that I will explore/am exploring which will be some of both I think - but that is another subject alltogether). Ararat is a very important movie. It was really made for Armenians - though certain Turks and others - with some concept beyond the basic/obvious should be able to benefit from the film as well.

BTW - I am not surprised that the first thing from TurQ concerning this film is an attempt at character assasination. pathetic.

Comment

I have not watch ARARAT.

I have watched another movie that was in HBO by Egoyan, it was Hotel Exotica.
            Obviously he has some obsessions that why I thought he is sort of a sexual pervert.

Originally posted by 1.5 million
            Egoyan is an artist - he is brilliant. And he is a unique talent and an increble filmaker. Unfortunatly Ararat is an intellectual movie (perhaps can even be described as quirky) with a great deal of subtlty & deapth (layers)...that most will not fully appreciate. IMO it is a masterpiece. It is not the do all and end of the Genocide - not by any means - and maybe it isn't the "movie of the Genocide" per se (though I doubt there is such a movie that can do it all and be commercially viable at the same time - though I have a concept that I will explore/am exploring which will be some of both I think - but that is another subject alltogether). Ararat is a very important movie. It was really made for Armenians - though certain Turks and others - with some concept beyond the basic/obvious should be able to benefit from the film as well.

BTW - I am not surprised that the first thing from TurQ concerning this film is an attempt at character assasination. pathetic.

Comment

I did watch Egoyan movies like Exotica, Felicia's Journey, The Sweet Hereafter, and Ararat. He is fine, but Ararat did not appear to me as if it was the best, but surely it was an interesting one to watch since it was about Turkey, Turks and Armenia and the Armenians.

Comment

Vezir
                His own 7 month pregnant wife(Khanjian) was one of the leading characters(I think she was the owner of the some striptease club or something?) and she was having gay relationship with the underage highschool girl.
                I was pretty much disturbed.

Originally posted by ScythianVizier
                I did watch Egoyan movies like Exotica, Felicia's Journey, The Sweet Hereafter, and Ararat. He is fine, but Ararat did not appear to me as if it was the best, but surely it was an interesting one to watch since it was about Turkey, Turks and Armenia and the Armenians.

Comment

Originally posted by 1.5 million
                  Egoyan is an artist - he is brilliant. And he is a unique talent and an increble filmaker. Unfortunatly Ararat is an intellectual movie (perhaps can even be described as quirky) with a great deal of subtlty & deapth (layers)...that most will not fully appreciate.
                  I don't understand how you can think of saying that about a movie that had no sublety or depth at all, and which had an almost deliberate lack of intelligence.

But I suppose it is better than Egoyan's own defense, which went along the lines "the bits in it that are bad are actually deliberately bad". In other words, "bad art" is never really "bad art" if the artist says he just wanted it to appear to be bad art.

I wish that defense would work in other scenarios, like: "hey, I know I failed the exam, but I only failed because I wanted to fail so really I didn't fail at all and you should give me an A-grade pass!".
                  Plenipotentiary meow!

Comment

Originally posted by bell-the-cat
                    I don't understand how you can think of saying that about a movie that had no sublety or depth at all, and which had an almost deliberate lack of intelligence.

But I suppose it is better than Egoyan's own defense, which went along the lines "the bits in it that are bad are actually deliberately bad". In other words, "bad art" is never really "bad art" if the artist says he just wanted it to appear to be bad art.

I wish that defense would work in other scenarios, like: "hey, I know I failed the exam, but I only failed because I wanted to fail so really I didn't fail at all and you should give me an A-grade pass!".
                    Can't help it that you don't "get it" - suffice to say that you don't. I had never heard this statement of Egoyan's but I understand what he is saying completely - it is obvious even...

Comment

Working...
                    X