Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

Skeletons of massacred found in Turkey

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by samarkeolog View Post
    Archaeologists and forensic scientists agreed on the interpretation of the, albeit limited, but still convincing, material available early on.
    There is now no evidence to make any interpretation on anything, and there never was any evidence available. And now the whole incident is now a non-event. I don't doubt we will see garbled accounts of it in Armenian sources in the coming years but that's it and nobody in the real world bothers about Armenian sources. Go down this cul-de-sac if you want but I've got better and more useful things to do.
    Plenipotentiary meow!

Comment

There was a lot of evidence and there still is some, although it is clearly no longer pristine; then again, the absence of evidence is, in this case, evidence in itself, as we can show how recently and actively that absence was created.

(That is to say, given we can *see* what evidence there used to be, in the photographs and given we can see how recently and how thoroughly that evidence was erased, we can still work out the basic information about the tomb.)

Comment

Look at this. about a recent visit by David Gaunt to the Turkish archives. The little snippets of historical information are interesting. But what most caught my eye was, quote, "he headed for Turkey for five days", and, quote "the list of eleven thousand documents he had prepared to consult was rejected by the staff working with the Ottoman Archives in Istanbul". All this is just more evidence questioning the academic abilities of Gaunt. No serious scholar would ever seek to examine 11,000 original documents in only 5 days (actually, it was probably only 3 days unless he was heading straight to the library from the airport, and straight from the library to the airport). Nor would any archive library anywhere in the world consent to supply a researcher with 11,000 of their documents in so short a time-period.
        Plenipotentiary meow!

Comment

I agree, it doesn't sound good.

Originally posted by bell-the-cat View Post
          Look at this about a recent visit by David Gaunt to the Turkish archives.... But what most caught my eye was, quote, "he headed for Turkey for five days", and, quote "the list of eleven thousand documents he had prepared to consult was rejected by the staff working with the Ottoman Archives in Istanbul"....
          I agree that no-one can study 11,000 documents in half-a-week and I certainly agree - or at least hope - that,
          Nor would any archive library anywhere in the world consent to supply a researcher with 11,000 of their documents in so short a time-period.
          The full line was, however, that 'he headed for Turkey for five days, between February 6 and 10 to try to confirm the promises made by the Turkish minister'. That brief visit was a preparatory visit to find out whether it was worth Gaunt taking more (sufficient) time away from the University of Södertörn. The list of 11,000 documents sounds like his wish list, to find out which of those 11,000 are available (so, if all 11,000 were available, he would arrange a long stay, but if only 11 were, he would be in and out in a day).

The article said that, '[a]ccording to the regulations established around the use of the Ottoman Archives he was allowed to consult 25 documents per day. This made it possible for Prof. G[au]nt to return to Sweden with 79 pages of documents.' So, the Archives used "consult 25 documents per day" to mean "have access to 25 documents per day" and it looks like Gaunt was using that access to copy them, so that he had his own copies of the original documents to "consult" them in the way that you meant, to "read and study in-depth", back at his university in Sweden.

If your reading is correct, it is damning; but, if he was finding out how much material was accessible and how long he would need to take away from his current work to research that material, then using the reasonable, standard access policy to copy the material so that he could devote the time necessary to researching it at his place of work, where he has all of his existing materials, etc., it sounds like he was behaving in a responsible, scholarly manner.

Comment

I agree that no-one can study 11,000 documents in half-a-week and I certainly agree - or at least hope - that,

The full line was, however, that 'he headed for Turkey for five days, between February 6 and 10 to try to confirm the promises made by the Turkish minister'. That brief visit was a preparatory visit to find out whether it was worth Gaunt taking more (sufficient) time away from the University of Södertörn. The list of 11,000 documents sounds like his wish list, to find out which of those 11,000 are available (so, if all 11,000 were available, he would arrange a long stay, but if only 11 were, he would be in and out in a day).

The article said that, '[a]ccording to the regulations established around the use of the Ottoman Archives he was allowed to consult 25 documents per day. This made it possible for Prof. G[au]nt to return to Sweden with 79 pages of documents.' So, the Archives used "consult 25 documents per day" to mean "have access to 25 documents per day" and it looks like Gaunt was using that access to copy them, so that he had his own copies of the original documents to "consult" them in the way that you meant, to "read and study in-depth", back at his university in Sweden.

If your reading is correct, it is damning; but, if he was finding out how much material was accessible and how long he would need to take away from his current work to research that material, then using the reasonable, standard access policy to copy the material so that he could devote the time necessary to researching it at his place of work, where he has all of his existing materials, etc., it sounds like he was behaving in a responsible, scholarly manner.
            I agree !
            "All truth passes through three stages:
            First, it is ridiculed;
            Second, it is violently opposed; and
            Third, it is accepted as self-evident."

Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

Comment

11,000 documents in obsolete Ottoman Turkish script would take years to study!

I think you'll agree that the article uses the information about Gaunt's rejected 11000 documents list as a reason to be critical of Turkey. However, the Turkish library actually seems to have been behaving perfectly reasonably. Allowing access to only 25 documents a day is a restriction, but not an uncommon one: most libraries don't allow open access to everything and have limits on what staff and services can be provide to one person at one time.

While Gaunt did not write the article, he must have had a reason to tell its author about the list of 11000 documents and that it was rejected. Your explanation does not address the question of why Gaunt would make such a list and then invite the article to use the list's rejection as a reason to attack Turkey. The article gives no indication that your interpretation - that it was just a list made to see which of the 11000 documents were available - is correct. If you are correct, why did Gaunt not explain the reason for the list's creation in a similar way?

A worst-case scenario is that Gaunt got the promise from Turkey that he could see whatever he wanted, and then, rather than use that promise constructively, he put together a list of materials he wants to see that was so long that it would be certain to be refused. And he did it so that he could later do some grandstanding and accuse Turkey of making false promises.
              Plenipotentiary meow!

Comment

Puting in a hold on materials is not uncommon There was no reason for the Turkish goverment to deny this privilege unless they had the need to carefully diciphire a document before deciding to release or not.
                You witch hunt is starting to annoy me,because you're sounding more and more like a Turkish apologist!
                First, it is ridiculed;

Comment

Originally posted by Gavur View Post
                  Puting in a hold on materials is not uncommon There was no reason for the Turkish goverment to deny this privilege unless they had the need to carefully diciphire a document before deciding to release or not.
                  You witch hunt is starting to annoy me,because you're sounding more and more like a Turkish apologist!
                  The article says nothing about "puting a hold on materials", nor does it say there was anything in the archives he was told he could never see.

I know I'm on the right lines when Armenians start to accuse me of acting for Turks. (And it works the other way around too, of course. )
                  Plenipotentiary meow!

Comment

The article says nothing about "puting a hold on materials", nor does it say there was anything in the archives he was told he could never see.

I know I'm on the right lines when Armenians start to accuse me of acting for Turks. (And it works the other way around too, of course. )

Hmmm,but it also say's nothing about after Turkish promises to accomadate and invite him Turks reaction of at least conferming the consulability of the said documents.A request of availabality conformation is definitly different then on demand presentation,which is another issue,This is not the first time the Turks try to play a shell game ,of course with confimation of 11,000 doc's that is impossible to do .And thats what I infer from this article like any non-biased person would with any knowledge at all with the situation at hand .
                    First, it is ridiculed;

Comment

Yes, 11,000 Ottoman documents would take years to study: how does that fail to suggest to you that finding out how many documents are available and what types of documents the available ones are (e.g. (more quickly-read) orders and notes or (more laborious) letters and accounts) would be a good idea? I would be more concerned about him - as a person as well as a scholar - if he didn't ask and prepare. indeed.

I think you'll agree that the article uses the information about Gaunt's rejected 11000 documents list as a reason to be critical of Turkey.
                      Yes, I do agree, but he can't absolutely control the tone of the journalist.

However, the Turkish library actually seems to have been behaving perfectly reasonably. Allowing access to only 25 documents a day is a restriction, but not an uncommon one: most libraries don't allow open access to everything and have limits on what staff and services can be provide to one person at one time.
                      I agree - that's why I called it a 'reasonable, standard access policy'.

While Gaunt did not write the article, he must have had a reason to tell its author about the list of 11000 documents and that it was rejected. Your explanation does not address the question of why Gaunt would make such a list and then invite the article to use the list's rejection as a reason to attack Turkey. The article gives no indication that your interpretation - that it was just a list made to see which of the 11000 documents were available - is correct. If you are correct, why did Gaunt not explain the reason for the list's creation in a similar way?
                      Perhaps he thought the reason for the list's creation was too painfully obvious to merit comment. He might have thought that explaining to people why he'd told the Archives which documents he wanted to see would insult their intelligence. He might have thought that if he didn't say which documents he wanted to see, the Archives would shrug their shoulders in bemusement as to how they were supposed to read his mind and people like you would also find that a reason to question his professionalism and scholarship.

The article said that '[t]he list of eleven thousand documents he had prepared to consult was rejected by the staff working with the Ottoman Archives in Istanbul'. He may not have said anything; he may have provided the journalist with a copy of the list. He may have told the journalist to help educate the public as to how much information there was to be accessed and studied - precisely to emphasise how much work and time was necessary. He may have told the journalist simply because he had no reason not to - to be open with his information.

The article gives no indication of your interpretation. In fact, we know that he was going to Turkey 'to try to confirm the promises [to provide him with 'everything he wants from us'] made by the Turkish minister'; we know that he was going to Turkey to find out how much material he could access, whether he would have an assistant as promised, etc.

Thus, he was going to work out how much time was needed to copy the available material at the Archives (whether he would be copying on his own or with an assistant halving the time, if there were an assistant, whether the assistant would continue the copying whilst he was away, or only be provided when he was present, etc.) and to study it once he had returned home. So, even if he did tell the journalist to give him something to criticise the Archives for, the fact that the Archives rejected the list is a reason to criticise them, isn't it?

A worst-case scenario is that Gaunt got the promise from Turkey that he could see whatever he wanted, and then, rather than use that promise constructively, he put together a list of materials he wants to see that was so long that it would be certain to be refused. And he did it so that he could later do some grandstanding and accuse Turkey of making false promises.
                      Neither the article nor the history of this case gives any indication of that or even a hint of that possibility. Now you seem to be offering hypothetical examples in the hope that the back-of-the-mind memory of them will remain and taint Gaunt and his work, despite them being groundless.

We all know that the Genocide happened and that there is yet more evidence to be accessed to reaffirm that knowledge. If Gaunt wanted either to grandstand or to make Turkey look bad, he would try to get that evidence and use it to reaffirm the falsehood and immorality of Turkey's genocide denial. Then again, as with everything else, you would also use that to condemn him for deciding that genocide was "cool" or accessing and publishing the material to promote himself.

I'm curious - if he chose to reduce his contribution to global warming by taking short-haul flights, would you condemn him for putting air stewardesses out of work?

I admire you playing the if-both-sides-criticise-me-I-must-be-right card, but just because both sides tell you you're wrong, doesn't mean you're right.

Comment

Working...
                      X