Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

The Assassination of Hrant Dink

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Taner Akcam threatened repeatedly

AZG Armenian Daily #035, 24/02/2007

Scientist Pursued for Recognizing the Genocide

TANER AKCAM PROFESSOR IS VICTIM OF CAMPAIGN OF INTIMIDATION

Taner Akcam, an expert on the Armenian Genocide and a visiting
    professor at the University of Minnesota's Center for Holocaust and
    Genocide Studies, was detained in Montreal by Canadian customs
    officials Friday. He was held for more than four hours while officials
    investigated a charge of terrorism leveled against him by unknown
    persons.

Akcam had been invited to speak at a human-rights symposium at McGill
    niversity Law School. A Canadian customs officer showed him copies of
    reviews of his new book on the Armenia tragedy, "A Shameful Act," from
    Wikipedia.com and Amazon.com that said Akcam was a member of a
    terrorist organization.

While being questioned, Akcam was contacted on his cell phone by his
    host, McGill professor Payam Akhavan, when he failed to pass
    customs. Akhavan called the office of Jason Kenney, secretary of state
    for multiculturalism, and Stockwell Day, the minister of public
    safety. Akcam's release followed almost immediately.

Akcam, who is a Turk, believes this was part of "a campaign against me
    by the Turkish authorities" for speaking out on the Armenian
    genocide. "When I was at New York University recently as part of my
    book tour, the autograph session was broken up by Turkish
    nationalists. They distributed a flier labeling me a terrorist and
    claiming that I was responsible for the deaths of Americans in
    Turkey."

The same thing happened in December at the Benjamin N. Cardozo Law
    School in New York, but with a twist. When e-mails suggested the same
    group was going to break up a conference on genocide and law, the
    sponsors called the Turkish Consulate in Manhattan to complain. The
    next day, Akcam said, a consular official called Cardozo to say there
    would be no demonstration. There wasn't.

Akcam said that because of the campaign of intimidation against him he
    is fearful for his life when he travels outside the United States. "I
    have been forced to cancel five international appearances at academic
    conferences, " he said. "Under the guise of freedom of speech, certain
    groups are causing me great physical and material harm. It is very
    difficult to do my work."
    General Antranik (1865-1927): “I am not a nationalist. I recognize only one nation, the nation of the oppressed.”

Comment

3 more suspects in Dink murder detained

3 more suspects in Dink murder detained

/PanARMENIAN.Net/ Three more suspects were detained on Saturday for their suspected participation in the murder of Armenian weekly Agos editor-in-chief Hrant Dink on Jan. 19. After a court in Istanbul arrested a ninth suspect involved in the murder on Friday, police took two people from Trabzon and one from Istanbul into custody, sending the two from Trabzon to Istanbul early on Sunday, Turkish Daily News reports. Thus, the number of suspects reached 12. Earlier, university student Veysel Toprak was charged with "aiding and abetting a criminal organization" and "protecting a criminal."

Comment

Tough words from such a pushover...

Real inciters of Dink's assassination have not been found, Mesrob II says

/PanARMENIAN.Net/ The patriarch of Turkey’s Armenians, Mesrob II, said yesterday that the murder of Turkish-Armenian journalist Hrant Dink has not been fully resolved, as mourners gathered at an İstanbul church to commemorate him. Mourners laid flowers at Hrant Dink’s grave on the 40th day after his killing. Dink, the editor of the bilingual Agos daily, was gunned down on Jan. 19 outside his office in downtown Istanbul by 17-year-old Ogun Samast. “It is extremely saddening and thought-provoking that the real inciters of this assassination have not been found over the past 40 days,” Mesrob II said, reports Today’s Zaman.

Comment

"te Deum" Service In Dink’s Memory

"TE DEUM" SERVICE IN DINK’S MEMORY
          [09:12 pm] 05 March, 2007
          [ http://www.a1plus.am/en/?page=issue&iid=46255 ]

On March 4 under the blessing of His Holliness Garegin II, the Supreme Patriarch and Catholicos of All Armenians, a Te Deum service was held in the he Mother See of Holy Echmiadzin, in memory of Hrant Dink, editor-in-chief of “Akos” weekly.

Prior to the ceremnony archiibishop Arshak Khachatryan addressed the presentees with an opening speech. He dwelt on Hrant Dink’s activity and urged to pray for the rest of Hrant Dink’s soul.

The representatives of the Armenian community of Polis, as well as the monks of the Mother See of Holy Echmiadzin were present at the ceremony.

Comment

Working...
          X