Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

Toronto Armenians: Put McFarty in Jail!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Toronto Armenians: Put McFarty in Jail!

Urgent action required

On March 29, 2007 the University of Toronto is hosting a lecture entitled
    "Why did the Ottomans Relocate the Armenians?" organized by the Anatolian Turkish Association featuring Dr. Justin McCarthy, a notorious denier of the Armenian Genocide.

On March 22, 2007 members of the Armenian Student's Association and Armen Karo will
    be meeting with Student Affairs at U of T to request that the University not provide a platform for Genocide deniers.
    The Armenian National Committee of Toronto is requesting that you show your support and complete the ANC T action alert condemning attempts to propagate hatred and urge the University of Toronto to refrain from providing a forum for Genocide deniers.
    Click on this link to complete the action alert www.armenian.ca <http://www.armenian.ca/> : http://www.armenian.ca <http://www.armenian.ca/>
    Published by the Armenian National Committee of Toronto
    45 Hallcrown Place, Toronto, Ontario M2J 4Y4
    Tel: (416) 491-2900, Fax: (416) 491-2211, E-mail: [email protected] :
    <mailto:[email protected] <mailto:[email protected]> > Web: www.armenian.ca <http://www.armenian.ca/> : http://www.armenian.ca/

WARNING : The information in this e-mail and in any attachments is intended for the above-mentioned addressees only. It may contain privileged or confidential information the review, dissemination or disclosure of which is strictly prohibited. If you have received this e-mail by error, please destroy it. In this case, you are not authorized to disclose, copy, distribute, or retain this message or any part of it. Thank you.

Don't use their two standards letters, the language is inappropriate and screwed up send the one below that also includes the demand to put him in jail:

Dear Sir:

I am writing to express my profound dismay over a lecture organized by the Anatolian Turkish Association at the University of Toronto scheduled for March 29th 2007 by Dr. Justin McCarthy entitled "Why did the Ottomans Relocate the Armenians?" (http://ata.sa.utoronto.ca/).

McCarthy is a well-known denier of the Armenian Genocide. Allowing such a denier on campus would be similar to providing a platform for a Holocaust denier to voice their “opinions” at a reputable university. The incontestable historical truth of the Armenian Genocide is by no means subject to debate. By providing a forum for genocide deniers, you are legitimizing the Turkish government's shameful campaign of denial and encouraging a culture of hate to permeate throughout campus. Additionally, his writings also violate Canadian law against publishing and distributing hate propaganda. The man should immediately be placed under arrest. A precedent for such action already exists in the case of Ernst Zundel.

Hate speech must not find protection in the academic communities of this country. A person's right to speak must be balanced against another person's right not to be the target of hateful speech. I want to ensure that the University of Toronto will not provide an academic platform to anyone who would peddle in hate and denial. The Armenian Students Association (ASA) will be meeting with Students Affairs to discuss this issue. I am requesting that you support the ASA and cancel this attempt to propagate hatred and condone genocide denial.

Genocide denial is a vicious obscenity and the leading edge of fostering hate and racism. The Armenian Genocide has been officially identified in Canada as ‘an historically recognized act of genocide’ and your action in this case will send a critical message that Genocide denial is unacceptable in Canada.

I appreciate your consideration of my views and would welcome a response addressing my concerns at the earliest convenience. If you would like to discuss this further, a member of the Armenian National Committee of Toronto can be reached at [email protected].

I don't see an e-mail address to send this letter to...

Comment

You have to send it through www.armenian.ca

It works like the webfaxes at the ANC, it goes through them.

Comment

Thank you, I've had about 10 webfaxes sent so far, I'll keep working on it...

Comment

Coward Knew His was gonna get arrested

Notice:

This is to inform everyone that the conference dated for March 29, 2007 with Justin McCarthy has been cancelled due to a sudden illness in his family. He extends his sincerest apologies to all those that would have been attending. We, the Anatolian Turkish Association at the University of Toronto are very saddened by this outcome as we had; advertised in 'Canadaturk', 'Bizimanadolu', 'The Varsity', 'Turkuaz TV', as well as planned to have a 'teleconference' with the University of Michigan.In addition, we had booked the conference room, worked out the details of McCarthy's stay, sought sponsorship, arranged for security, and organized catering for our sponsors and guests.

We would like to take this opportunity to offer our sincerest thanks to our very generous sponsors for their kind donations. All donations will be promptly returned to our sponsors. We also would like to inform you that ATA's president, did everything in her power to find a way to work around this unexpected cancellation
          including; writing a letter to Turkey's Foreign Affairs Minister, Abdullah Gul as well as tried to find suitable replacement speakers such as Professor Guenter Lewy, Professor Fuat Keyman, Professor Kemal Kirisci, and Mr. Ed Erickson. We apologize for any
          inconvenience we may have caused.

This is the email our president received from Professor Justin McCarthy:

I am sorry to say that we will have to cancel the speech in Toronto. I cannot make it. I know that you have put much work into the arrangements, as have I. I had written the speech and was ready to deliver it. Unfortunately,something has come up that
          will keep me from traveling to Toronto at that time. I hope to be able to make it to speak in Toronto or near by sometime soon. Again, my heartfelt apologies. I wish this had worked out another way.
          Best wishes,
          --Justin McCarthy

Please accept our sincerest apologies,
          Anatolian Turkish Association Executive

Comment

Coward is right!
            He better put his tongue
            where the sun don't shine.
            "All truth passes through three stages:
            First, it is ridiculed;
            Second, it is violently opposed; and
            Third, it is accepted as self-evident."

Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

Comment

He probably does already keep his tongue there!
              Accounts for all the sh*t coming out of his mouth.

Comment

Working...
              X