Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

France feels the heat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• France feels the heat

BBC World Service.

Last Updated: Thursday, 5 April 2007, 11:50 GMT 12:50 UK

Genocide' row threatens pipeline
    Turkish protests in Ankara

Turkey has suspended talks with Gaz de France over a key gas pipeline, in protest at a French bill about the killing of Armenians in World War I.

The planned pipeline would carry natural gas from the Middle East and Central Asia to Austria through Turkey.

The French Parliament is considering a law that would make it an offence to deny that Ottoman Turks committed genocide against Armenians.

The draft law was approved by the National Assembly in October.

It will be considered by the Senate next and then return to the lower house before it becomes law.

Turkish denials

The 4.6bn euro ($6.1bn; £3.1bn) Nabucco pipeline project is supposed to reduce the European Union's reliance on Russian gas.

It also passes through Bulgaria, Romania and Hungary, which have already reached agreement with Gaz de France.

The Turkish government denies that as many as 1.5 million Armenians were killed in systematic killings between 1915 and 1917 under the Ottoman Empire.

It says that thousands of Turks and Armenians were killed when Armenians sided with Russian troops invading the empire, but many countries have since recognised the killings as genocide.

The Nabucco pipeline also passes through Bulgaria, Romania and Hungary, which have already reached agreement with Gaz de France.

I think this is a non-issue
    France wil negotiate with Armenia for the iranian pipline delivery and russia.
    "All truth passes through three stages:
    First, it is ridiculed;
    Second, it is violently opposed; and
    Third, it is accepted as self-evident."

Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

Comment

Turkey aims to pressure Europe over Nabucco natural gas pipeline

Prime Minister Ferenc Gyurcsany of Hungary called Nabucco "an old dream."

By Judy Dempsey
      Published: April 5, 2007

Russia has already built the Blue Stream natural gas pipeline that reaches Turkey by running under the Black Sea. Gazprom now plans to extend this pipeline up through Romania and Serbia into Hungary with Hungarian support, even though Hungary is a member of the Nabucco consortium.

Ferenc Gyurcsany, the prime minister of Hungary, and Vladimir Putin, Russia's president, agreed last June to extend the Blue Stream pipeline up through southeastern Europe to Hungary.

During an interview last month, Gyurcsany said Nabucco was "a dream. An old dream. We cannot heat apartments with dreams." He also said that an extended Blue Stream project was much better organized.

Turkey has made threats against France before. After the vote in the National Assembly, Turkey's armed forces said that they would freeze bilateral ties with its NATO ally. But officials at NATO say that there has been no sign of any change in French-Turkish relations.
      First, it is ridiculed;

Comment

Originally posted by Gavur View Post
        I'm not too certain about it for a few reasons (though I hope you are correct):

1. I believe the purpose of the Nabucco pipeline was to latch on to Baku-Ceyhan and avoid Russia altogether.
        2. Russia has not signaled yet whether they will link up to the Armenian-Iranian gas pipeline (which would have to traverse Georgia and we know very well that both countries cannot even agree on what day it is); Russia is still miffed that Armenia went against them and linked up with Iran.
        3. The French company will most certainly pressure the government not to pass the resolution which will certainly play a factor.

That being said, Turkey could be crying wolf. Seven years after offical recognition of the Armenian Genocide, French-Turkish trade has tripled. It could be an idle threat. Why cut off your nose to spite you face, Turkey?
        General Antranik (1865-1927): “I am not a nationalist. I recognize only one nation, the nation of the oppressed.”

Comment

It's fake news
          Our reliable secular media at work again
          France was suposed to be the money man as a 6th partner in this scheme anyways.
          France being the male figure in this deal can spend its money with any females she wants lol!
          First, it is ridiculed;

Comment

I agree that France will take the Iranian Gas and make Turkey's pressure attempt be blown to the wind ...

Comment

Russia would be the worst possible supplier of energy for any country, witness the recent hikes in prices forced by Gazprom.
              Gazprom has intimated that unless it is allowed to buy certain Western European utility companies, prices will rise again or supplies even cut off.
              What an excellent choice to have to make....turkish or Iranian supplies....I can hear the fiddles starting up for the first chorus of the dance.

Comment

Originally posted by Gavur View Post
                In as much as France is concerned, probably.
                However, the threats made by turkey are heard by the international diplomatic/business community and can/will deter other possible recognisers.
                I wish, for example, that the UK had the fortitude of the French in these (and other) matters.
                The beauty of the French is that once they make a stance, they tend to stick by their guns unlike the UK and US who will sway in the breeze.
                Therefore, it is probably still an issue.

Comment

Turkey denies halting gas talks with France

http://www.todayszaman.com/tz-web/de...8131&bolum=106
                  Turkey has not officially suspended talks with Gaz de France over the Nabucco pipeline project to bring Caspian gas to Europe, the energy minister said on Wednesday, but energy officials said Ankara had also begun talks with other firms on joining Nabucco.

Senior Turkish energy officials had said last week talks with the French company had been halted in protest at a French bill making it a crime to deny genocide was committed against Armenians at the hands of Ottoman Turks during World War One.

"Nabucco is an extremely important project for us and the process is continuing normally. Gaz de France has not been suspended from the project," Energy Minister Hilmi Guler told reporters. But he said economic, strategic and political issues, including the French bill, would be taken into account when selecting the sixth partner for the project. A senior Turkish energy official, who declined to be named, told Reuters the government had been pressured to tone down its statement on GDF following political and diplomatic lobbying. "Turkey, which is seeking European Union membership, looked favourably at companies from Germany and Ukraine which want to join the project as Nabucco's sixth member instead of GDF," the official said.

The 4.6 billion euro ($6.14 billion) project envisages transporting natural gas from Turkey to Austria, passing through Bulgaria, Romania and Hungary and would reduce Europe's dependency on Russian gas. The four other countries have already approved a partnership with Gaz de France in the project. Austrian oil and gas group OMV heads the consortium planning to build the pipeline. Bulgargaz, Transgaz from Romania, MOL of Hungary and Turkey's Botas are also partners in the project. The planned pipeline -- a project backed by the EU and the United States -- would reduce Europe's dependency on Russian gas but has already hit several hurdles. If construction of the 3,300 km (2,050 mile) pipeline starts in 2008, it could begin operating in 2011. It could transport annually 25.5 to 31 billion cubic metres of gas by 2020. Turkey remains angry at the French national assembly's approval last year of a bill making it a crime to deny that the mass killings of Armenians during World War One amounted to genocide. The bill has not become law. Ankara rejects claims by Armenia and other countries that Ottoman Turks committed a systematic genocide against 1.5 million Arme-nians during World War One.

Reuters Ankara
                  Comments | Send to Print | Send to My Friend
                  First, it is ridiculed;

Comment

Touche, Gavur.
                    I had to smile when I read this article, knowing that you would probably post it here.
                    However, I still feel that any threats, real or paper, by turkey, can have an adverse effect on states considering Genocide Recognition.
                    turkey plays to the gallery as well as any country, always has and always will.

Comment

Working...
                    X