Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

İncirlik

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• İncirlik

İncirlik shop owners moved to U.S. base in Iraq
    Saturday, April 28, 2007

Turkish Daily News: Explore the latest Turkish news, including Turkey news, politics, political updates, and current affairs. Council of Foreign Ministers of Turkic States Organization Convened - 17:59

İncirlik has turned into a ghost town after the Turkish Paliament refused permission for the base to be used for entering Iraq from the north by U.S. troops on April 1, 2003. Seventy percent of 380 shop owners have moved to a U.S. base in Iraq. The luxury shops and restaurant-bars were intended to only serve Americans

ALPARSLAN AKKUŞ
    ADANA- Turkish Daily News

The fate of İncirlik town changed after the establishment of the U.S. air base in 1951. It was established to counter the Soviet threat during the cold war era and since then, it is perceived as the most important political bargaining tool on the table in Turkish-U.S. relations. However, the importance of the U.S. base in İncirlik has constantly changed according to hot spots both in Russia and the Middle East. Most recently the base left its mark on the agenda, on April 1, 2003 when the then newly elected Turkish Parliament headed by the Justice and Development Party (AKP) refused permission to use the base for the war in Iraq. Since then, daily life in İncirlik has changed drastically.

The economy of the town, depending solely on the existence of the U.S. base, had experienced a golden era with its luxury shops, restaurants and bars targeting American consumers and with increasing rental revenues. During those days, when 12,000 American soldiers were present on the base, $ 300,000 was flowing to the town from the base daily. A single shop was making at least $1,000 in sales revenue in a one day. Americans were giving heart not only to tradesmen in İncirlik, but also to all those shop owners on the shoreline stretching from Mersin to Silifke, where they stopped by during weekends. Newly established luxury entertainment centers targeting the Americans appeared in those seaside towns, but İncirlik was the most special case of them all. The tradesmen of İncirlik tried to show their gratitude by placing black badges during the second anniversary of 9/11. The very basis of existence for İncirlik shops as a whole was the U.S. base and its economy was bound to existence of the U.S. base. Nowadays, the reduced number of American soldiers at the base is not enough for the town to prosper.

I went to İncirlik to see the current situation on a Saturday night, expected to be the most crowded time of the week. We were faced with the “welcome arch” at the entrance to the renowned İncirlik street. The whole road right up to the U.S. base was illuminated; street lights, shops' outdoor signs, flashing neon's of bars and lights hung over the trees... as if it were the 5th Avenue of Adana. The only missing thing was, the people! The whole street was totally deserted. The luxury shops, which do not target local town residents, were waiting for a couple of Americans to leave the base. I witnessed that most of the shops were shut as I walked along the street. Many of the shop owners had moved to a U.S. base in Iraq. Now, there are more than 200 Turkish shops at the Forward Operating Base Marez in Mosul, Iraq and most of them are those who left İncirlik.

Shop owners are about to go bankrupt

The best place to show the present condition in İncirlik is Müjdat's restaurant. Hundreds of photographs hang on the walls of the restaurant, famous American pop singers, top level army and state officials and even George W. Bush is seen. Now there is just one American soldier, eating dinner with his Turkish girlfriend, left from those good old days. The restaurant owner Turgay Akçınar said they could not meet the costs but refrain to close down since they have a reputable brand name. They even have English-speaking waiters; for instance Ali Kahvecioğlu, 24, has learned English at the Turkish-American Association in Adana. Akçınar, faces difficulties even to pay the salaries, said that they came up with the solution to open up a branch in Iraq.

When we headed to Cheers Bar, that has a 200 meter-square sheltered area and a 60 meter-square terrace, we faced a worse situation: loud music is blaring and the disco lights are flashing but there is nobody inside. Jashua, the owner of the bar, is playing billiards on the terrace with his friends. He said they make YTL 1,500 YTL a month at the most, which is not enough to run the bar. He has also opened a souvenir shop in Iraq.

I noticed vivacity in a shop right next to the bar and went there. An American woman happened to be there following up on her furniture order. Erdinç, the owner of Freedom Furniture, said they produce furniture based on advance orders and sell approximately three or four bedrooms a month, earning about $5,000 – 7,000. Mostly those Americans, whose term has ended and are preparing to return to the U.S., buy furniture.

The President of İncirlik Merchant's Association Abdülkerim Estetik

3,000 new U.S. soldiers to come

Estetik holds the parliament, which refused permission on April 1, as solely responsible for the situation of the tradesmen in İncirlik. After refusing permission, the U.S. force has downsized from a brigade to a regiment and the number of soldiers has reduced to 1,200. There were 380 shops operating here. During the last three years, 40 tradesmen have gone bankrupt and the remaining 70 percent have moved to the U.S. base in Iraq. Now there are only 105 shops left here and all of them are about to go bankrupt. Saying that he is in continuous contact with top military officials from the U.S. base, Estetik claimed that those officials, whom he cannot name, said that if the Armenian genocide bill does not pass in the U.S. Senate, the U.S. would send 2,000 or 3,000 more soldiers to İncirlik.
    Attached Files
    "All truth passes through three stages:
    First, it is ridiculed;
    Second, it is violently opposed; and
    Third, it is accepted as self-evident."

Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

Turkey Again Rejects U.s. Military Request

ANKARA [MENL] -- The government of Prime Minister Recep Erdogan was said to have again rejected a Pentagon request to expand U.S. training rights in Turkey.

Turkish sources said Erdogan dismissed two U.S. requests for expanded air training in Turkey. They said the requests would have enabled U.S. combat training in central and southeastern Turkey at all times.

"The requests would have required a complete revision of current defense agreements," a Turkish source said.

The United States has landing and basing rights at the Incirlik air force base near the Turkish border with Iraq and Iran. The 1980 NATO agreement enabled the U.S. Air Force to station up to 48 aircraft and train during daylight hours in the Konya province.
    Attached Files
    "All truth passes through three stages:
    First, it is ridiculed;
    Second, it is violently opposed; and
    Third, it is accepted as self-evident."

Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

Comment

Originally posted by Gavur View Post
      I went to İncirlik to see the current situation on a Saturday night, expected to be the most crowded time of the week. We were faced with the “welcome arch” at the entrance to the renowned İncirlik street. The whole road right up to the U.S. base was illuminated; street lights, shops' outdoor signs, flashing neon's of bars and lights hung over the trees... as if it were the 5th Avenue of Adana. The only missing thing was, the people! The whole street was totally deserted. The luxury shops, which do not target local town residents, were waiting for a couple of Americans to leave the base. I witnessed that most of the shops were shut as I walked along the street.
      Looks even worse during the day. It actually is just one long road leading from the main Adana highway right up to the entrance to the base. It all looked really tacky and run-down, and the street layout appears as if it was designed to resemble what (I imagine) the main street of a small provincial US town would look like. All the signs there are in English, and it seems that the range of shops/resturants/etc that are there are intended to ensure that no American has to ever leave the immediate vicinity of the base. The carpet shops had some of the most awful-looking carpets I've ever seen in Turkey, in spite of them being advertised as "souvenirs" they all looked machine-made and the sort you could buy in any big furniture shop in Europe and America. The furniture shop (maybe there are two because I didn't notice the "Freedom Furniture" name) sold a lot of weird-looking pine furniture - "don't the Americans have pre-furnished accommodation?", I thought at the time.
      When I saw it this April the street was deserted and maybe 25% of the shops were obviously empty. No great loss, I think.
      Plenipotentiary meow!

Comment

Originally posted by bell-the-cat View Post
        Looks even worse during the day. It actually is just one long road leading from the main Adana highway right up to the entrance to the base. It all looked really tacky and run-down, and the street layout appears as if it was designed to resemble what (I imagine) the main street of a small provincial US town would look like. All the signs there are in English, and it seems that the range of shops/resturants/etc that are there are intended to ensure that no American has to ever leave the immediate vicinity of the base. The carpet shops had some of the most awful-looking carpets I've ever seen in Turkey, in spite of them being advertised as "souvenirs" they all looked machine-made and the sort you could buy in any big furniture shop in Europe and America. The furniture shop (maybe there are two because I didn't notice the "Freedom Furniture" name) sold a lot of weird-looking pine furniture - "don't the Americans have pre-furnished accommodation?", I thought at the time.
        When I saw it this April the street was deserted and maybe 25% of the shops were obviously empty. No great loss, I think.
        Sounds even worse than a typcial military base/town in the U.S.
        General Antranik (1865-1927): “I am not a nationalist. I recognize only one nation, the nation of the oppressed.”

Comment

Originally posted by Joseph View Post
          Sounds even worse than a typcial military base/town in the U.S.
          I was living in Germany when the Gulf War began and as the US troops deployed to Saudi there was a similar desolation in the small towns near the Air Bases.

Comment

Originally posted by steph View Post
            I was living in Germany when the Gulf War began and as the US troops deployed to Saudi there was a similar desolation in the small towns near the Air Bases.
            Same thing probably happened when America closed down a lot of bases in Britain after theend of the cold war.

But, there is nothing new in it all. When archeologists excavate Roman forts in Britain they always find just outside the walls the remains of little settlements that grew up to serve the needs of those stationed within the forts.
            Plenipotentiary meow!

Comment

It's like an American city planted on Anatolian soil. All it's missing is a McDonald's and about five gas stations.

Comment

Originally posted by chinchilla View Post
                It's like an American city planted on Anatolian soil. All it's missing is a McDonald's and about five gas stations.
                Don't know about a McDonalds, but there are two gas stations at the start of the street.
                Plenipotentiary meow!

Comment

Working...
                X