Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

Turkish Man Arrested After Group Disrupts Book Reading

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Jade View Post
    Talaat pasha society? Never heard of that (how embarassing!)...Will definitely look into it...
    Set up by none other than Doğu Perinçek and Rauf Denktaş

General Antranik (1865-1927): “I am not a nationalist. I recognize only one nation, the nation of the oppressed.”

Comment

Turkish govermant has sucesfully mobilized some portions of turkish diaspora against the Armenians and their supporter's blood will flow in all continents as this dispute escalates egged on by politicians.
      "All truth passes through three stages:
      First, it is ridiculed;
      Second, it is violently opposed; and
      Third, it is accepted as self-evident."

Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

Comment

International Herald Tribune

U.S. author heckled by people denying Armenian genocide
        By James Barron

Thursday, May 3, 2007
        NEW YORK: As a first-time author, Margaret Ajemian Ahnert hoped that her appearance at a Barnes & Noble store here would draw attention to her new book, "The Knock at the Door," which deals with the Armenian genocide.

Her reading and question-and-answer session Tuesday drew attention, to be sure, but not the kind she expected.

A man in the audience was arrested after he and several other people disrupted the reading by shouting and passing out leaflets denying that the genocide occurred. Ahnert's 209-page book tells, among other things, how her mother survived the genocide as a teenager during World War I and eventually came to the United States.

Ahnert said Wednesday that she did not mean "The Knock at the Door" to be a political narrative.

"Here I was trying to tell the story of my mother, not making a political statement," she said. "It's a mother-daughter story, it's how it affected my life. It's not just about the Armenian genocide, it's about my mother growing up, my life, and events in her life that affected me. It's a mother-daughter memoir. I'm not making any historical statements."

Many historians say that the Ottoman Empire was responsible for the death of more than one million people around 1915 in a campaign intended to eliminate the Armenian population throughout what is now Turkey.

Ahnert said the disruption came as she answered a question from the crowd. Some of those who attended her talk were friends, including a former governor, Hugh Carey, and the Manhattan district attorney, Robert Morgenthau, whose grandfather, Henry Morgenthau, was ambassador to the Ottoman Empire from 1913 to 1916.

"Someone in the middle of the back of the room stood up and said, 'That's not so,' " Ahnert said. "Five or six men started to pass out fliers of denial. I thought, oh, my goodness sakes, it's like Holocaust deniers. I was completely taken aback."

Mary Occhino, who was in the audience, said some of the people were shouting, "This is a lie, this is a lie, this never happened."

"I got up and said, 'Enough,' " said Occhino, the host of a call-in program on Sirius satellite radio. "Her mother lived through the genocide - that's all she said. They said, 'That's a lie, that's a lie, that never happened.' But this story is not about genocide; it's about a mother's love for her daughter."

The man who was arrested, identified by the police as Erdem Sahin, 41, of Staten Island, was charged with resisting arrest, a misdemeanor punishable by up to a year in jail, and faced lesser charges including disorderly conduct.

At a hearing Wednesday in Manhattan Criminal Court, Judge Rita Mella adjourned the charges in contemplation of dismissal. That means that the case will be dropped in six months if Sahin is not arrested again.

Sahin said afterward that he and the other protesters were angry that France had "made it illegal to say there was no genocide." The French National Assembly approved the legislation last fall.

"We realize that if we don't do something, we will soon have no rights," he said. "We are fighting for freedom of speech."

When asked about his views on the Armenian genocide, he said, "Honestly, I'm not a historian, but historians say there is no genocide."

The subject is largely taboo in Turkey, and in recent years, Turkish writers who have referred to genocide have faced reprisal. A legal claim against the novelist Elif Shafak was dropped last fall, but she cut short a six-city U.S. tour promoting her sixth novel, "The Bastard of Istanbul," which includes Armenian characters.

Orhan Pamuk, who won the 2006 Nobel Prize in Literature, was also sued by a nationalist group for referring to genocide in a Swiss interview, and in January, Hrant Dink, a newspaper editor who had challenged the official Turkish version of the genocide, was fatally shot as he left his office in Istanbul.

A spokeswoman for the Barnes & Noble chain said that it was unusual for a reading to be disrupted. Passing out pamphlets violated the company's no-solicitation policy, she said, adding: "They were asked to stop passing out leaflets. They refused. They were jeering the author. They were asked to sit down and they refused." That was when the police were called, she said.

Ahnert said she had appeared on college campuses and at a literary festival in Florida without any problems. "This is something I hope I don't have to look forward to," she said.
        General Antranik (1865-1927): “I am not a nationalist. I recognize only one nation, the nation of the oppressed.”

Comment

Look's like Armenian's are the one's that will have to fight for our freedom of speech under Turkophile Bush administration and the Jewish lobby!
          "All truth passes through three stages:
          First, it is ridiculed;
          Second, it is violently opposed; and
          Third, it is accepted as self-evident."

Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

Comment

Working...
          X