Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

Daddy believed in tolerance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Daddy believed in tolerance

Winchester, MA

Daddy believed in tolerance

By By Elizabeth Kurkjian-Henry/Special to the Star
    GateHouse News Service
    Thu Jun 14, 2007, 03:48 PM EDT

Winchester - My father died almost three years ago at the age of 91. He escaped the Armenian Genocide at the hands of the Turkish government at age three by walking across the desert with his mother, an aunt, and a sister and brother. His siblings did not survive. He arrived in Boston in 1915, was raised in Watertown, became a successful commercial artist, married and brought up three children.

Daddy was the kindest man I’ve ever met. Lots of children say that about their fathers, but this is true. He was soft-spoken, gentle and wise. None of us children will ever be as kind although my brother comes closest.

My brother, Stephen recently retired from The Boston Globe. He was a writer for the newspaper for more than 30 years. In 1993, he took my father back to his birthplace, which is now in Turkey. We have the video of my father at the site of his long-gone home, next to Lake Van, tearfully blessing each and every person in his family and thanking God that he had been allowed to see his home again.

We also have lots of pictures of Daddy in the villages that they visited. Not uncharacteristically, he is often surrounded by children. When he came back from Turkey, he talked most about the children. Their often-impoverished lives really bothered him and he said he had kept his pockets filled with loose change and gum wherever he went.

Growing up and hearing about the Turks’ mistreatment of the Armenians, the mass killings, rapes and enforced slavery, made us children naturally hate Turkish people. To be honest, we didn’t meet many Turks, but our grandmother had told us that if we ever did meet one, we were to spit on him.

We were too polite, of course, any of us, to ever do that and I don’t think we ever had the opportunity, but the hate was a part of our lives. If I remember correctly, it was actually kind of exciting to be a child and to hate “the Turks” so vociferously, but without ever having to act on it.

But Daddy never spoke of hating Turks. He never spoke of hating anyone. When questioned, he would always answer, “There’s good and bad in all people.”

When he came back from his trip to Turkey, he seemed even more non-violent, more accepting of the people who had killed so many of his countrymen, his own father included, and driven him and his family out of their homeland.

One Easter, a few years before he died, we had a lively discussion over the roast lamb. Some of us Kurkjians railed mightily against the Turks of yesterday and today, condemning them for not admitting that genocide had ever occurred and vowing once again to hate “the Turks” until the day we died.

Daddy, however, spoke in peaceful words.
    “It was a long time ago,” he said. “We need to move on. We cannot allow hate to rule our hearts.”

He continued in this spirit for the rest of his days and never spoke an ill word against the people who had caused him — and us by blood — so much pain.

I teach seventh grade English in a Boston middle school. Most of my students are Hispanic or African Ameican, from single parent or grandparent households, and poor.

Last week, I needed to send a circular around to teachers and staff to get a count on how many were planning to attend a retirement party for three teachers who are leaving at the end of the year.

Minda and Baiyan, who I don’t teach and know only through hall passing, begged to be allowed to help so I gave them the clipboard and the check sheet. When they returned at the end of period there were a few minutes left so we sat and chatted before the next class.

“Baiyan” I asked. “’Baiyan’ — what kind of name is that?”
    “Turkish,” she replied.
    “Turkish?” I said, surprised. “Where were you born?”
    “Istanbul,” she answered. “We came here so my mother could get doctor’s help for her heart problems.”

I was bowled over. I asked her if she knew about Armenians. I showed her an article that my brother had recently written for an Armenian publication about the assassination of an Armenian journalist in Istanbul.

“My mother’s father always referred to them,” she said, pointing to pictures in the magazine, “as ‘those people.’But then my mother came to know ‘those people’ in Istanbul better as she grew up and she said they are kind and nice and just like us.”

We continued to discuss our shared cultures — because, truly there are more similarities than differences, especially in food and music — for the rest of the period.

Excitedly, we made plans to have lunch together on Wednesday when she’ll bring in yalanche (grape leaves) and kufta (lamb meatballs). As we walked to the door I smiled and lightly stroked her hair.

And then it struck me — Father’s Day is Sunday.
    And although I feel his presence with me all the time, this time Daddy took more overt action. He sent Baiyan to me, to remind me that there is no room for hate or bitterness or revenge.

From beyond, he sent a messenger to remind me that there is “good and bad in everyone,” and when the good comes to you, embrace it and enjoy it, for you are the chosen one.
    "All truth passes through three stages:
    First, it is ridiculed;
    Second, it is violently opposed; and
    Third, it is accepted as self-evident."

Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

I'm not racist, but I do believe in justice. I believe that what comes around goes around.

While Turks are building pipelines and railroads to deliberately impoverish the Armenians on what's left of your homeland you're giving your pockets full of coin to Turkish children living on land and in homes stolen from your nation. Which one of those kids will grow older to be the next Ogun Samast or murderer of bible publishers? Sorry, but I don't think this makes you a peaceful person - on the contrary, it rewards and encourages the crime they deny was ever committed. If you wanted to be a peaceful person take each one of those kids a copy of "The Burning Tigris", only through recognition and reparation can there ever be any form of peace between Turks and Armenians.

Comment

oh come now the article was beautiful...! - and the kids are in seventh grade by the way - the "raising awareness" part can come later

Comment

Originally posted by Jade View Post
        oh come now the article was beautiful...! - and the kids are in seventh grade by the way - the "raising awareness" part can come later
        For how many children was the seventh grade, or earlier, their last?
        Unfortunately, their awareness was raised without their, or their parents, agreement.

Comment

Originally posted by Hovik View Post
          I'm not racist, but I do believe in justice. I believe that what comes around goes around.

While Turks are building pipelines and railroads to deliberately impoverish the Armenians on what's left of your homeland you're giving your pockets full of coin to Turkish children living on land and in homes stolen from your nation. Which one of those kids will grow older to be the next Ogun Samast or murderer of bible publishers? Sorry, but I don't think this makes you a peaceful person - on the contrary, it rewards and encourages the crime they deny was ever committed. If you wanted to be a peaceful person take each one of those kids a copy of "The Burning Tigris", only through recognition and reparation can there ever be any form of peace between Turks and Armenians.
          Actually, it is hard not to visit Turkish (or in that case, Kurdish) villages without leaving with good memories of the children, who are mostly very charming when in small numbers.

But one can still be aware of how things got that way. I remember on one occasion I visited a Kurdish village with a group of American Armenians, one elderly woman amongst the group had bags of sweets to give out, and was immediately surrounded by dozens of kids, products of the typical ten-children Kurdish families. Observing their quantity and voracity, she said "I'm sure the Turks probably now think 'we got rid of the wrong lot' ".

If the author's father had been alive today and had gone to eastern Turkey now, I doubt if he would have had the same good experiences with the children. Things have change a lot in 15 years. In most places the children there are now as unpleasant as in any other country, and - unlike most other countries - there are a hell of a lot of them.
          Plenipotentiary meow!

Comment

Working...
          X