Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

An email I received -- Bodrum Airport

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• An email I received -- Bodrum Airport

Subject: Bodrum airport

Hello,

I just wanted to put some information out there. Last night we flew back from Turkey after spending a week on holiday outside of Bodrum. At the airport in the waiting area for passengers there are several posters hung up around the seating area about the "ficticious" Armenian genocide. I was shocked to see these posters at the airport. The posters were put up by the T.C. Bodrum Kaymakamligi (I'm not sure what this is exactly.)

One of the posters has a replication of a painting of skulls and it says that the painting is used by the Armenian genocide committee, which alludes that the painting is of the massacre of Armenians when in fact it is a painting about a war fought some 45 years earlier. Here I quote that the Armenian genocide committee uses it to represent "Armenians killed during the fictitious genocide....they are creating false propaganda as there are no real evidence. The reason is it simple [sic] did not happen."

The other poster is of Ataturk with some of his dogs. Then another picture of Ataturk with the corpse of a emaciated, dead child at his feet. The text says that the Armenian genocide committee is manipulating digitally images as there never was a picture of Ataturk with this dead child and this proves that the Armenians are lying and they want to blacken the name of Ataturk, who was one of the world's greatest humanitarians.

I didn't take a photo as I wasn't sure if this was possible in the waiting area.

I'm not sure if this is useful to the group, but I for one was really surprised at the finding of these posters at the beginning of high season for tourism in the area.

Best,
    Michelle Kelso

Originally posted by notjustarmenian View Post

Hello,

I just wanted to put some information out there. Last night we flew back from Turkey after spending a week on holiday outside of Bodrum. At the airport in the waiting area for passengers there are several posters hung up around the seating area about the "ficticious" Armenian genocide. I was shocked to see these posters at the airport. The posters were put up by the T.C. Bodrum Kaymakamligi (I'm not sure what this is exactly.)

One of the posters has a replication of a painting of skulls and it says that the painting is used by the Armenian genocide committee, which alludes that the painting is of the massacre of Armenians when in fact it is a painting about a war fought some 45 years earlier. Here I quote that the Armenian genocide committee uses it to represent "Armenians killed during the fictitious genocide....they are creating false propaganda as there are no real evidence. The reason is it simple [sic] did not happen."

The other poster is of Ataturk with some of his dogs. Then another picture of Ataturk with the corpse of a emaciated, dead child at his feet. The text says that the Armenian genocide committee is manipulating digitally images as there never was a picture of Ataturk with this dead child and this proves that the Armenians are lying and they want to blacken the name of Ataturk, who was one of the world's greatest humanitarians.

I didn't take a photo as I wasn't sure if this was possible in the waiting area.

I'm not sure if this is useful to the group, but I for one was really surprised at the finding of these posters at the beginning of high season for tourism in the area.

Best,
    Michelle Kelso

I'm not suprised. When I was last in Istanbul I noticed that the bookstores in the airport have an entire section dedicated to genocide denial books.
    General Antranik (1865-1927): “I am not a nationalist. I recognize only one nation, the nation of the oppressed.”

Comment

Originally posted by Joseph View Post
      I'm not suprised. When I was last in Istanbul I noticed that the bookstores in the airport have an entire section dedicated to genocide denial books.
      I have been to Istanbul airport dozens of times, the last being this April, and have seen no such thing.
      Plenipotentiary meow!

Comment

One of the posters has a replication of a painting of skulls and it says that the painting is used by the Armenian genocide committee, which alludes that the painting is of the massacre of Armenians when in fact it is a painting about a war fought some 45 years earlier. Here I quote that the Armenian genocide committee uses it to represent "Armenians killed during the fictitious genocide....they are creating false propaganda as there are no real evidence.
        Co-incidentally, regarding that painting - it appears in this book published in 1907. The book is, I presume, about the massacres that took place in (what is now) Azerbaijan the previous year. As far as I know, it is the earliest use of the painting in literature connected to the massacre of Armenians. Can someone here translate the caption that is underneath it?
        Book on ebay - Gift of immortal memory of Armenian national heroes
        Plenipotentiary meow!

Comment

No need to answer. The words in bold are the name of the painter - so I guess the itialics are the name of the painting. I.e. clearly there was no intent in misrepresenting it as a real scene of a real massacre. So when did such misrepresentation first occur?
          Plenipotentiary meow!

Comment

Originally posted by bell-the-cat
            I have been to Istanbul airport dozens of times, the last being this April, and have seen no such thing.
            My wife and I saw it with our own eyes in June 2005. Not only did we see a good 4 to 5 rows of books dedicated to the "false Armenian Genocide"; when we stood there in somewhat of a shock, a lady who was browsing the section started up a conversation with my wife about how all of the books should be in every Turkish bookstore (they probably already are ) and should be translated in every language for everyone to see. I'll never forget the rancor in her voice and the look in her eyes.
            General Antranik (1865-1927): “I am not a nationalist. I recognize only one nation, the nation of the oppressed.”

Comment

Originally posted by bell-the-cat View Post
              No need to answer. The words in bold are the name of the painter - so I guess the itialics are the name of the painting. I.e. clearly there was no intent in misrepresenting it as a real scene of a real massacre. So when did such misrepresentation first occur?
              The painting was circulated in the 1910's and 1920's as a photographic postcard depicting the human devastation of the Armenian Genocide but was originally an 1871 oil on canvas painting "The Apotheosis of War" by Vasily Vereshchagin as you know. It has also been used sporadically in contemporary subject literature on the Armenian Genocide: see Tessa Hofmann's volume Der Völkermord an den Armeniern vor Gericht: der Prozess Talaat Pascha [The Genocide of Armenians in Court: The Process of Talaat Pasha]"

Comment

The painting was circulated in the 1910's and 1920's as a photographic postcard depicting the human devastation of the Armenian Genocide but was originally an 1871 oil on canvas painting "The Apotheosis of War" by Vasily Vereshchagin as you know. It has also been used sporadically in contemporary subject literature on the Armenian Genocide: see Tessa Hofmann's volume Der Völkermord an den Armeniern vor Gericht: der Prozess Talaat Pascha [The Genocide of Armenians in Court: The Process of Talaat Pasha]"

Prove that it was circulating as a postcard in the 1910s. Where have you seen such a card from that period?

My question is when was it first explicitely used by Armenians in publications as an image purporting to be a real photograph of a real scene connected to the Armenian Genocide? I suspect the 1950s. Photographic cards from the immediate post war period are, I think, souvenirs produced to be sold to Allied soldiers and tourists. I have never seen any with Armenian writing on them.
                Plenipotentiary meow!

Comment

T.C. Bodrum Kaymakamligi (I'm not sure what this is exactly.)
                  Well if you were asking about the Turkish meaning of "Bodrum Kaymakamligi" it roughly translates I believe as a governmental branch, which makes it quite grave as this means that these posters were put up by the government themselves. It is of course everyone's personal decision to believe in the genocide or not but to try and impose a belief on others and in such a shallow and degrading way is quite frankly sickening.

Comment

Originally posted by bell-the-cat View Post
                    Prove that it was circulating as a postcard in the 1910s. Where have you seen such a card from that period?

My question is when was it first explicitely used by Armenians in publications as an image purporting to be a real photograph of a real scene connected to the Armenian Genocide? I suspect the 1950s. Photographic cards from the immediate post war period are, I think, souvenirs produced to be sold to Allied soldiers and tourists. I have never seen any with Armenian writing on them.
                    I have the postcard and I have also seen other copies of it sell numerous times to collectors. I did not claim Armenians were responsible for the postcard's circulation.

Comment

Working...
                    X