Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

Article: It's time for the Bush Administration to put Turks in their place

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1.5 million
    replied
    I have to agree - even though I sympathize with the spirit of the article - it is full of a great many falsehoods. And its not a neo-con postion at all - its a Kurdish position (and I don't blame them for trying). The fact of the matter is that the US is and has always supported much worse nations/dictators etc then Turkey...and these factors are not at the top of the list of considerations - inconvienient as they are - for US policymakers. Bottom line is that as long as Turkey is lucrative for business (and keeps buying arms & munitions etc) the relationship will remain - particularly when one considers Turkey as a bulwark against Islamic extremism. However if the Islamisists really take hold and "turn" the country away from the West I imagine it might be a very different story.

Leave a comment:

• bell-the-cat
    replied
    Originally posted by Joseph View Post
    The author is Kurdish I believe. Generall neo-cons support Turkey over Kurds, Armenians, Greeks, Assyrians, so I do not think he is a neo-con.
    Neocons don't support anyone except themselves!

As a few articles elsewhere have been saying, the neocons have mostly abandoned the Bush regime. Their interest now is using their near total control of media outlets to spread their propaganda directly to the American people, bypassing a lame-duck president.
    That article, because it is so full of such obvious errors, lies, and exagerations, is typical neo-con propaganda intended for an ignorant but politically-sympathetic American audience who seem to never tire of believing in false things.
    I doubt whether it reflects any real policy intent on their part regarding Turkey, but it is in the neocons' interests to make out to Americans that there has been one positive outcome to their invasion of Iraq (and also to throw a few bones to the Kurdish dogs).

Leave a comment:

• Steph
    replied
    Originally posted by Joseph View Post
    The author is Kurdish I believe. Generall neo-cons support Turkey over Kurds, Armenians, Greeks, Assyrians, so I do not think he is a neo-con.
    I understand that he's an Iraqi Kurd.

Leave a comment:

• Joseph
    replied
    Originally posted by chinchilla View Post
    Seems to be neo-con propaganda.

Though the author's name sounds Turkish to me.

Leave a comment:

• chinchilla
    replied
    Seems to be neo-con propaganda.

Though the author's name sounds Turkish to me.

Leave a comment:

• Article: It's time for the Bush Administration to put Turks in their place

It’s time for the Bush Administration to put Turks in their place

Rauf Naqishbendi
    June 30, 2007

A friendship between America and Turkey has been a liability for America since the beginning, due to Turkey’s notoriously dirty human rights record. During the Cold War Turkey’s strategic location propelled America to seek a close relationship with Turkey. Thankfully, all that changed when the Iron Curtain fell pronouncing Turkey a triviality. Moreover, the Iraq War has proved Turkey’s uselessness to America. While the Turks continue their human rights abuses and threaten to cause trouble in Iraq, the Bush administration has not put the Turks in their place, as justice demands.

Since the Iraqi Liberation mission, Turkey has been opposing the notion of an independent Kurdistan, fearing that once the Kurds in Iraq are free and democratic, their counterparts on the other side of the border will demand the same. Clearly they are of the opinion that, in order for the Turks to justify their violation of Kurdish human rights in their country, Kurds ought to be abused everywhere in the world.

It is bewildering why America would want to support and befriend a regime such as Turkey’s with all their atrocities against humanity, not only against Kurds but also Serbs, Greeks, Assyrians and Armenians. The United States’ apathy is overwhelming; for decades they have generously provided assistance to Turkey without considering the country’s human rights record. Common sense and common justice has been rare with American leaders regarding their relationship with Turkey. Think of the Armenian genocide committed by Turks, yet America ignored the plight of Armenians demanding Turks to acknowledge their atrocities.

And reaching the height of absurdity, American leaders and politicians have been calling Turkey a great democracy in the Middle East, in order to justify the United States’ immense support of Turkey, citing the Turkish elections and constitution as proofs. While it’s true that election is a vital pillar of democratic establishment which reflects fair representation, and fair representation requires a sound and moral constitution; these pillars of democracy need to be genuine, otherwise their casual application will weaken the foundation of the institution. A constitution is vital to democracy, but it needs to be moral and apply consistently to every citizen. But Turkey’s constitution excludes all non-Turks who live in Turkey by a simple declaration that all citizens of Turkey are Turks. This is a moral predicament since one third of Turkey’s population is Kurds, and there are also Arabs, Assyrians and Armenians. Where is justice and morality in a constitution that is privileging one portion of the population and demonizing the rest?

Turkey has been a violent country for decades as the Kurdish rebel P.K.K has been fighting for an equitable system of justice and equality for all. During this period Turkey’s rulers usually have been civilians on the surface, but military at heart. Thus the rule of army and violence has made democracy in Turkey scarce, for under the rule of army and bloody violence there is no democracy. Additionally, Turkey is not a pristine democracy; rather, it is a corrupted country with bribery, favoritism and cronyism ubiquitous. These attributes encumber the glory of democracy, and go against its true essence. As one can see, these arguments contradict any proclamation that Turkey is a democracy. If anyone claims that it is, that person either does not have a true knowledge of Turkey or does not understand the true meaning of democracy.

President Bush would display a new degree of enlightenment if he were to address the prime minister of Turkey, Recep Tayyip Erdogan in his next visit to Washington as follows:

“Mr. Erdogan, we have heard enough of your exploitation of the Kurds, and your opposition to the inspiration of the world’s biggest nation without statehood to obtain their independence. I feel compassion for the Kurds because of what they have suffered in your country; we let your leaders be as intolerant as they desired for a long time. We lavished you with monetary, political and military assistance, and you utilized it as fodder for your prejudice and pride. These are unfounded in today’s world and are just relics of your past. We have gone as far as arguing the case for your membership in the EU, even though we knew your nation doesn’t resemble Europeans.

You know it has been an established tradition of our presidency for the US president not to apologize, and I shall not violate this tradition, but were I permitted to break that tradition, I would proffer the Kurds in your country an earnest apology for our support to your government and that of your predecessors that they have turned to abuse against the Kurds.

The Kurds have been our faithful ally in our war against Saddam and terrorism, and America is looked upon as respectable and popular among the Kurdish; on the other hand, the degree of anti-American sentiment amongst your people is shamefully high. Therefore, we are not going to forsake our faithful friends, the Kurds, to please an old friend who has proven perfidious.

A free and independent Kurdistan is imminent for it is the will and determination of the Kurdish nation. The will of a nation is impassable and neither you nor anyone else can hinder it. That leaves you with no choice but to accept and put aside your bigotry towards the Kurds. A free and independent Kurdistan will be beneficial to you and your people, therefore I ask you not to merely tolerate it but rather to welcome it wholeheartedly. I will join you and your people in celebrating the birth of a free and independent country, Kurdistan, with its waving flag visible from your border. We should let this new nation prosper and bloom; we should all help these great people who are good friends of ours. I assure you, they too will be your
Working...
X