Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

Dr. Stephen Feinstein

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dr. Stephen Feinstein

Stephen Feinstein died doing what he loved best
    Samuel M. Edelman

March 12th 2008
    Los Angeles

Tuesday March the 4th Dr. Stephen Feinstein, director of the University of Minnesota’s Center for Holocaust and Genocide Studies, died of an aortic aneurism that led to cardiac arrest while he was speaking at the Jewish Film Festival. Steve was 65. He died doing what he loved, what he was passionate about, what consumed him. He died talking about the Holocaust. His death leaves us, his family, his colleagues, and his friends, his students breathless, bereft, and stunned.

Steve was such a presence for all of us. He encouraged us; he supported us with positive ideas with suggestions of resources with exciting collaborations. His research and writing on art and literature of the Holocaust, getting recognition of the Armenian Genocide, on Darfur, on developing teaching materials on genocide was critical. His emails and his sharing of ideas and concerns with colleagues all over the world will be missed. He was the ultimate information source. Never to see his daily emails again is painful.

Most important of all was his gentle sense of humor and his smile. Steve was working with a group of us from the US and Poland to prepare to teach about the Holocaust to Polish teachers this summer. His death is an unbelievable loss not only to his wife and children, his colleagues, friends and students at the University of Minnesota but to all of us struggling to fight against the indifference and hate that leads to the greatest scourge of humanity—genocide.

Samuel M. Edelman, Ph.D. is dean of the College of Arts and Sciences, American Jewish University
    (formerly University of Judaism) and Co-director, State of California Center of Excellence for the Study of the Holocaust, Genocide, Human Rights and Tolerance.
    General Antranik (1865-1927): “I am not a nationalist. I recognize only one nation, the nation of the oppressed.”

Significant Lives
    A Great Expert on Genocide Dies on the Job

Edwin Black
    March 12th 2008

Stephen Feinstein

Of one America’s most knowledge experts on genocide suddenly passed away a few days ago.

Historian Stephen Feinstein, 65, died on the job last week during a presentation at the Minneapolis Jewish Film Festival. Feinstein lapsed mid-sentence during his remarks. His wife reportedly rushed to his side and summoned paramedics. But at the hospital nothing could be done to repair what was close to an aortic aneurism. The loss to his family, to his friends, to the community and to scholarship will be permanent.

As the founder and director the University of Minnesota's Center for Holocaust and Genocide Studies, Feinstein was a expert on the unlimited darkness surrounding humanity’s greatest atrocities—the effort to destroy an entire people by means of genocide. His collection of books and articles was on the finest. His cavernous knowledge of the small but important details was as encyclopedic. As smart as he was, he was never afraid to learn more, and raced toward new facts the way a thirsty man runs toward water.
    Feinstein fearlessly devoted himself to the spectrum of the evil, from the Holocaust, to the decimation of the American Indian, to the Turkish genocide against Armenians, to the current systematic mass murders in Darfur. He was fearless because he stood up to the politics of genocide. Although pressured and threatened by Turkish elements, he refused to desist in publicizing and documenting the Ottoman genocide against Armenians. When the USHMM in Washington tried to dismiss the Nazi-allied pogrom against Iraqi Jews, known as “the Farhud,” Feinstein refused to back down. When it came time to shine a bright light on the Carnegie Institution’s financial and scientific support for Nazi eugenics, he worked vigorously.

I knew him as a close friend, a man who responded instantly by email, but never carried a cell phone… a man who was as knowledgeable as any about current events, but refused to subscribe to cable TV… a man who invited me as a University lecturer on more than one occasion to Minneapolis, but refused to let me stay in a hotel, instead insisting I be a guest in his own home.

Like all his friends, I knew Feinstein’s other side. When one spends your entire day studying the most depressing aspects of history, two unstoppable feelings grip you. Sometimes your clinical academic stride is suddenly pierced by jolting disconsolation. Sometimes you relieve the pressure with jokes. Feinstein was a ceaseless jokester. That made him so human in a field of inhumanity, and helped those around him know that his view held that progress required rising above it—and that meant breaking free from the paralysis of evil deeds. Once he and I shared a meal of Mongolian yak in a Minneapolis ethnic restaurant. He never let me forget it, making yak jokes at almost every turn.

Since obituaries by friends can be objective only to a point, let me confess the following. I have worked closely with literally hundreds of historians and experts around the world. They have their names engraved in granite in the great centers of learning, from Berlin to Jerusalem to London. But the ones I trust the most can be counted on one hand: Bob and Sam and a few others. Feinstein in Minneapolis was amongst those five. We have lost him today, but history will remember his work for a long time.

Memorials may be sent to the Center for Holocaust and Genocide Studies, University of Minnesota Foundation, Box 70870, St. Paul, MN 55170.
    General Antranik (1865-1927): “I am not a nationalist. I recognize only one nation, the nation of the oppressed.”

Comment

MEMORIAL TRIBUTE TO DR. STEPHEN FEINSTEIN

UMN News

May 12 2008
      MN

Monday, May 12, 2008, 7:30 p.m. in the Cowles Auditorium, Humphrey
      Institute, 301 19th Ave S, Minneapolis; University of Minnesota west
      bank campus.

A memorial tribute celebrating the life and accomplishments of
      Dr. Stephen Feinstein, founding director of the University of Minnesota
      Center for Holocaust and Genocide Studies, will take place at the
      University of Minnesota on Monday, May 12 at 7:30 p.m. in Cowles
      Auditorium, Humphrey Institute, west bank campus. Stephen Feinstein
      died of an aneurysm on March 4, 2008. The event will feature music,
      videos, and speakers who worked closely with Feinstein during his 10
      years as director of CHGS and in his many other public activities. A
      dessert reception will follow the program.

>From its founding in 1997 Feinstein built the University of Minnesota's
      Center for Holocaust and Genocide Studies into an educational, research
      and outreach institution of international renown. He was known around
      the world as an advocate for survivors of the Holocaust and other
      genocides and for genocide education. Feinstein was particularly known
      for his expertise on artistic expression of genocides. He possessed
      an almost encyclopedic knowledge about anything Holocaust- and
      genocide-related. Feinstein worked to raise awareness of all genocides
      using any and all possible outlets; he was especially dedicated to
      raising awareness of the Armenian genocide and was even nominated for
      a regional Emmy award for a documentary on the 90th Anniversary that
      he helped produce for public television. In recent years he dedicated
      many CHGS events to the ongoing crisis in Darfur and to remembrance
      of the Rwanda genocide. His most recent accomplishment was securing
      the funding for and creating programming around the United States
      Holocaust Memorial Museum exhibition "Deadly Medicine: Creating the
      Master Race," currently showing at the Science Museum of Minnesota.

Comment

Working...
      X