Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

Q&A with Taner Akçam on Obama's visit...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Q&A with Taner Akçam on Obama's visit...

Ilove this guy!

Question 1) Can you evaluate the statements that were made by Obama regarding the subject of genocide during his visit to Turkey? What kind of message do you believe he was trying to give...
    Q&A with Taner Akçam on Obama's visit to Turkey and if Obama will use the word genocide on April 24th.

Obama gave a very clear and singular message. What he said was this: “You possess the strength to play a very important role in the region and the world; I want you to play that role and support you but you must confront your history. There’s nothing shameful in doing that, in fact it’s a good thing and it will bring you to a good place. Look at me, I became the president of a country which engaged in slavery and where people like me couldn’t even vote.

Confront your own history, become more democratic and you’ll see that it will bring you to a good place. This is absolutely necessary in order for you to fulfill the duty that’s been placed upon you in the region and the world. Otherwise you won’t be able to fulfill that role. If you think you can continue to treat frank discussions of history within a framework of crime and punishment, if you continue to treat the denial of historical truth and injustices as some kind of special talent and believe you’re going to play this big role in the region and the world, well I’m here to tell you. It ain’t happening.”..........

Last edited by Gavur; 04-22-2009, 02:41 PM. Reason: Add pic
    "All truth passes through three stages:
    First, it is ridiculed;
    Second, it is violently opposed; and
    Third, it is accepted as self-evident."

Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

Re: Q&A with Taner Akçam on Obama's visit...

He's pretty good, isn't he Gavur jan. He put it well. I believe that Obama was the first US president to confront the turks with their warped history, hasn't he? Yes he did more than any other president since Woodraw Wilson.

I just hope that he will also use the word Genocide on April 24th, but so far he came to it that much closer with his speech in Turkey.

Taner Akcam interpret it well though, he is a good guy. Thank you for this post Gavur jan.
    Last edited by Anoush; 04-22-2009, 02:48 PM.

Comment

I want to be like him when I grow up))
      First, it is ridiculed;

Comment

Originally posted by Gavur View Post
        I want to be like him when I grow up))
        You are pretty much there already Gavur jan. You will don't you worry. You are also good.

Comment

Ilove this guy!
          Hehehe, how can you hate Turks with guys like this around... he was Hrant Dink's friend. Maybe if everyone was a historian, this world would be a better place.
          "Nobody can give you freedom. Nobody can give you equality or justice or anything. If you're a man, you take it." ~Malcolm X

Comment

Originally posted by KanadaHye View Post
            Hehehe, how can you hate Turks with guys like this around... he was Hrant Dink's friend. Maybe if everyone was a historian, this world would be a better place.
            Yeah, we would both compromise and get back at least Wilsonian Armenia on the other hand we'll provide them with goods that they are in need and start communicating and dealing with them like good neighbours. And if they want to give us back a bit less land, still we'll compromise and start communicating with a friendly dialogue.

You know something? Taner Akcam looks a bit Armenian. He's got nice sparkling eyes but intelligent eyes.
            Last edited by Anoush; 04-22-2009, 02:59 PM.

Comment

He is an insperation, after a lot's of perspiration.Being a true historian is tidious work, but makes me want to go back to school.
              First, it is ridiculed;

Comment

Originally posted by Anoush View Post
                You are pretty much there already Gavur jan. You will don't you worry. You are also good.
                You're too kind Anousik.
                First, it is ridiculed;

Comment

You're too kind Anousik.
                  I only say what I think it is. Btw; please do go back to school, it's always good to go. In life it's never late to learn more and more. I wish you'll do it, you're a smart guy, you'll be that much more smarter.

Comment

Originally posted by Anoush View Post
                    You know something? Taner Akcam looks a bit Armenian. He's got nice sparkling eyes but intelligent eyes.
                    He looks parskahye

Comment

Working...
                    X