Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

“What the Turks started, Bill Handle will finish.”???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: “What the Turks started, Bill Handle will finish.”???

I wonder what is the forecast tommorow in Hollywoods walk of fame?
    "All truth passes through three stages:
    First, it is ridiculed;
    Second, it is violently opposed; and
    Third, it is accepted as self-evident."

Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

Comment

KFI Apologizes for Genocide Comment
      By Asbarez Staff on Jun 12th, 2009

Glendale, CA — The Armenian National Committee-Western Region (ANC-WR), joined by community organizations and activists, met with KFI640-AM radio show host Bill Handel and station management today regarding offensive comments that aired on Handel’s radio show on May 13 and 14 during a discussion between Handel and Lara Hermanson.

Acknowledging that a line had been crossed, Handel, KFI and Clear Channel management apologized to the Armenian American community. With Handel himself being a descendent of Holocaust survivors, he also made it clear that recognition of the Armenian Genocide is something he has been aware of and passionate about throughout his career and promised to continue raising awareness about the issue.

“We deeply regret the inappropriate comments that were made on Bill Handel’s show last month which deeply hurt the Armenian American community. The comments were wrong,” said Robin Bertolucci, KFI Program Director. “We take responsibility for this offense as any genocide, including the Armenian Genocide, are serious topics that should not be used as the basis for humor.” KFI will be issuing an on-air apology on June 12 at 6:30am. KFI also released a video apology from Hermanson and Handel.

The issue began on May 13th, during the late morning segment of the show when Handel made an off- hand comment to “get rid of the Armenians,” as well as other groups, as a humorous solution to the cost of healthcare in America. Greg Garabedian a local listener who heard the comment wrote to the station to express his concern and disappointment with the remark. However, in responding to the letter on the air the following day, the situation was made worse when studio colleague Lara Hermanson quipped, “what the Turks started, Bill will finish.” The statement referenced the Armenian Genocide and outraged the Armenian American community.

“I wrote the letter because that comment immediately drew me to the Armenian Genocide and my family’s experience,” said Garabedian. “For me, here was another situation where Armenians were being used in the context of a joke, but on an issue that is of extreme importance to the community.”

The ANC-WR requested a meeting with KFI management to convey the community’s outrage and ask that the situation be addressed. In the meantime, the ANC-WR reached out to dozens of activists and community organizations, such as the Armenian Bar Association, eager to work together on the issue.

“Today’s meeting with Bill Handel and KFI-640AM and Clear Channel management made it clear that genocide is not a joking matter,” said Zanku Armenian, member of the ANC-WR’s KFI Task Force. Handel and station management recognized that a very serious line was crossed in a poor attempt at humor and are truly apologetic for the pain they have caused to the Armenian American community. In addition to their apology, the meeting led to a constructive discussion about the importance of educating the public about the Armenian Genocide. This is a positive outcome to a very unfortunate incident.”

In addition to Bill Handel, present at the meeting were Program Director Robin Burtolucci, Director of Marketing Neil Saavedra as well as Greg Ashlock, President and Market Manager Clear Channel, Los Angeles which is KFI’s parent company. Joining the ANC-WR for the meeting at the KFI studios in Burbank were representatives from the Armenian Youth Federation, Unified Young Armenians, the ANC Glendale, and Glendale City Council Member Ara Najarian.

“Of course the comments on May 13th particularly conjure up the emotions tied to the Armenian Genocide, but the May 14th show was an opportunity to take a step back and address this problem but instead bolstered our interpretation of the first day’s comments,” says Vache Thomassian, Chairman of the Armenian Youth Federation-Western Region.

In the days following the incident, the community learned about it through the efforts of Greg Garabedian and others such as Burbank resident and columnist for Asbarez Daily Newspaper, Garen Yegparian who wrote about the matter in his May 22nd commentary. As KFI was slow to address the matter, news about the incident and the inappropriate comment spread rapidly throughout the community spurring chain e-mails, online petitions, and even a group on the popular social networking site Facebook.

“Genocide is not a joking matter and this issue should have been addressed from day one. However, this episode showed us that our community is alert and ready to take action to counter such inexcusable comments,” notes Aroutin Hartounian, President of Unified Young Armenians.

The positive outcome was a result of many community organizations and supporters working together. “The message was heard thanks to the efforts of thousands of community activists and other organizations who voiced their indignation over the past several weeks,” said Stepan Boyajian, chairman of the ANC-WR KFI Task Force. “We deeply appreciate everyone’s efforts.”
      First, it is ridiculed;

Comment

Greg Garabedian June 11, 2009 at 12:19pm

I along with the members of the ANC, AYF, UYA, Councilman Ara Najarian, and Armenian Citizens met with Bill Handel, Robin Bertolucci, Neil Saavedra(KFI Director of Marketing), and Greg Ashlock (Clear Channel). Our meeting was successful and fruitful. Bill Handel along with KFI and ClearChannel apologized and admitted that the remarks made were over the line. Bill will be addressing the issue on the air tomorrow either during his 6 or 6:30 show. A written apology and video apology will be made as well. In addition Lara Hermanson will conduct community service with the AYF and UYA.

KFI also will be covering pro Armenian events. I feel Bill Handel and KFI were geniune in their apologies and I feel they were geniune in their promise for ongoing support of Armenian Causes. If people are planning protests at Bill's Hollywood star ceremony, I encourage no personal attacks as I feel that we have a friend in KFI and Bill Handel.
        First, it is ridiculed;

Comment

Originally posted by Gavur View Post
          Greg Garabedian June 11, 2009 at 12:19pm

I along with the members of the ANC, AYF, UYA, Councilman Ara Najarian, and Armenian Citizens met with Bill Handel, Robin Bertolucci, Neil Saavedra(KFI Director of Marketing), and Greg Ashlock (Clear Channel). Our meeting was successful and fruitful. Bill Handel along with KFI and ClearChannel apologized and admitted that the remarks made were over the line. Bill will be addressing the issue on the air tomorrow either during his 6 or 6:30 show. A written apology and video apology will be made as well. In addition Lara Hermanson will conduct community service with the AYF and UYA.

KFI also will be covering pro Armenian events. I feel Bill Handel and KFI were geniune in their apologies and I feel they were geniune in their promise for ongoing support of Armenian Causes. If people are planning protests at Bill's Hollywood star ceremony, I encourage no personal attacks as I feel that we have a friend in KFI and Bill Handel.
          *Cough cough Bullxxxx, this dude should be slapped with a lawsuit and now he gets a smack on the wrist, he was forced to apologise thats all, great "justice" again

Comment

What Bill Handel started...Armenians will finish

Yes, that was said on a station, whose radio signal reaches more people of Armenian ancestry than almost anywhere in the world. Most of those Armenian-Americ...
            First, it is ridiculed;

Comment

armenian news.

I hate this guy so much.

Comment

yeah, he apologized and then immediately got a star on the Walk of Fame on Hollywood Blvd. Our strong lobbying organizations flex their muscle again. I'm assuming if Mel Gibson said he would finish what Hitler started, he would not be getting a star on the walk of fame. What a bunch of barap galeers at ANC-WR, they got bamboozled and didn't even know it.

This guy should have lost his job or been suspended like these guys. http://www.xxxishjournal.com/thegodb...nded_20090326/ (KPFK suspends 'La Causa' djs over anti-semitic slant)

By GARY LYCAN
                Special to the Register
                Comments 7| Recommend 2

When I asked KFI/640 AM's Bill Handel what he would like to accomplish in the next five years, he had a simple answer: "to survive in this business."

No worries, Bill. Your tell-it-like-it-is attitude, high-energy and rapid-style commentary have brought high ratings to KFI and now earned you a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame – right in front of Tempest Men's Store on Hollywood Boulevard. I'm sure there is a story there, too.

Handel, 57, grew up in the San Fernando Valley and became an expert on reproductive law. In 1989 he began a Saturday morning legal advice show, "Handel on the Law," which KFI described as "marginal legal advice and … outrageous remarks." He fit the KFI "more stimulating talk radio" profile perfectly, and soon moved to 5-9 a.m. weekdays, radio's prime time. The weekday program celebrated its 15th anniversary last July. His Saturday morning law program is syndicated nationwide.

Handel is No. 1 in the morning among all LA AM and FM stations, and he is regularly featured with Steve Edwards on Fox/11's "Good Day LA."

Off-air, he finds time to work with such charities as Susan G. Komen for the Cure, City of Hope and Make a Wish Foundation.

Since the Star award gives one a chance to reflect on one's career, I asked a few questions:

OCR: From a personal standpoint, are there two or three special moments in your KFI career that hold special meaning for you?

Handel: Two broadcasts stand out the most to me. The most special broadcast I ever did was broadcast from Auschwitz in the early '90s. My grandparents perished there in, I believe, 1944. To be able to broadcast that very personal experience to the listener was difficult, but it was a particularly poignant moment for me

The other very special day was 9/11, where I was broadcasting live as we saw the second plane hit the tower. That was one of those moments that you just thought 'I can't believe what I'm seeing'. I ended up broadcasting for more than eight hours including during Rush Limbaugh's national show. It was an honor for me to be able to provide the latest of what was going on to the listeners that day.

OCR: Do you have a proudest moment?

Handel: When my kids were born. They were so beautiful and in the delivery room I pointed to them and yelled "My sperm did that?!"

OCR: What would you say to college communication students if you were to guest lecture in their class and at least half asked, 'What do I today if I want to go into talk radio?'

Handel: It's a tough time in this business, but if you are passionate stick with it... but as a backup, I'd learn air conditioning repair.

OCR: If you were to do a stage show (think Glenn Beck) and take it around the country, what would you call it?

Handel: I'd call it "This Isn't Worth The Money"

Contact the writer: Freelance writer Gary Lycan is the Register's radio columnist. Write: Show, The Orange County Register, P.O. Box 11626, Santa Ana, CA 92711E-mail: [email protected]

Copyright © 2009 Orange County Register Communications
                Last edited by freakyfreaky; 06-13-2009, 11:17 AM.
                Between childhood, boyhood,
                adolescence
                & manhood (maturity) there
                should be sharp lines drawn w/
                Tests, deaths, feats, rites
                stories, songs & judgements

- Morrison, Jim. Wilderness, vol. 1, p. 22

Comment

Bill Handel blasts Turkey and criticizes Obama

Comment

Working...
                  X