Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

Review: Religulous

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Review: Religulous

So a friend of mine had come back from a 1-month trip to Armenia and we were hanging out for most of the day and to finish the day off, we decided to go to the movies randomly and here I saw this poster of a movie that I had only briefly heard about (from a teacher) called "Religulous". The poster was that of three chimpanzees that were dressed as a rabbi, a pope and an imam. Usually, I'm not convinced by posters or any of the similar stuff but this one was just funny. Oh and it had Bill Maher in it so what the hell.

Great! 9.5/10! We really enjoyed it and it's all we were discussing on the way back. But first, I want to say that if you are religious, take offense easily and don't like to question things then this movie may not be for you, avoid it. Then again, if you are religious but you are ready to confront material that is not-so-religious or doubts it then PLEASE go take a look. For everyone else, this is a MUST.

The title of the film is a fusion of the words "Religion" and "Ridiculous". There's not much I can detail about the film given its documentary nature. The movie is a comedic-documentary (not to be confused with a mockumentary) where Bill Maher walks around with a camera crew and meets people from all kinds of religions in all kinds of places and owns them. He meets Christians, Mormons, Catholics, people who think they are Jesus (no, seriously), J3ws, J3ws for Jesus, Scientologists, Muslims etc. It deals with all the problems with religion and the problems that arise as a consequence of it.
    Last edited by Federate; 10-17-2008, 09:08 AM.
    Azerbaboon: 9.000 Google hits and counting!

Re: Review: Religulous

Plus it's directed by Larry Charles!

Comment

In the trailer Bill Maher mocks (among other religions) Christianity, Islam and Buddism. However, I did not see any mocking of Judaism.

With that said, did he cover Judaism in the actual movie? Also, if he did, was the mocking equal or did he concentrate on say, Christanity mostly?
      Last edited by crusader1492; 10-17-2008, 06:19 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by crusader1492 View Post
        In the trailer Bill Maher mocks (among other religions) Christianity, Islam and Buddism. However, I did not see any mocking of Judaism.

With that said, did he cover Judaism in the actual movie? Also, if he did, was the mocking equal or did he concentrate on say, Christanity mostly?
        He did mock Judaism and some other branch of Judaism that promotes the destruction of Israel (yes, really.) He travels to Israel as well and he's 50% j3wish 50% Catholic himself. There are also blunt J3wish stereotype jokes in the movie. I was shocked knowing the control they have in Hollywood and the USA in general. They get off a little easier than Christianity or Islam.

However, Christianity got the most screen time partly because of all its branches and because he focused mainly on religion in the USA, providing stats of the USA and so on. Most of his travels are in the USA too. But in general, the message was against all religions.

N.B. Buddhism actually doesn't get much screen time, if any. The three main religions in it are Christianity, Judaism and Islam.
        Last edited by Federate; 10-17-2008, 06:51 PM.
        Azerbaboon: 9.000 Google hits and counting!

Comment

well he mocks Adam and eve in the trailer they show here so that's all 3 of the Abrahamic religions right there

Comment

He openly mocks Judaism as well. Bill Maher just dislikes religion. It doesn't matter.
            Achkerov kute.

Comment

Originally posted by Anonymouse View Post
              He openly mocks Judaism as well. Bill Maher just dislikes religion. It doesn't matter.
              Ditto

As for the movie:

I rate it a 9/10

It was hilariously funny since I saw it with my brother. There were people in front of us who didn't laugh because apparently they thought the movie was going to be "serious".

My favorite part was:

The guy dressed as Jesus says: "...God will strike down Satan."

Bill Maher: "He will..?"

Guy dressed as Jesus: "Yes"

Bill Maher "So what's he waiting for?"

Comment

Working...
              X