Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

Tribute to Vanessa Redgrave

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tribute to Vanessa Redgrave

It has long been known that actress Vanessa Redgrave is the epitome of badassery. Actor, mother, political and human rights activist - she's done it all and done it well. She has received all sorts of awards and honors for her work.

She has appeared in hundreds of productions, the first few to garner attention being Morgan: A Suitable Case for Treatment (1966) and Michelangelo Antonioni's Blowup (1966). She then appeared in the musical Camelot (1968) as Guinevere and Isadora (1968), as the American expatriate communist dancer Isadora Duncan. She continued kicking ass into the seventies, like in Mary, Queen of Scots (1971). She received considerable attention and critical praise for her performance in Julia (1977), in which she portrayed an anti-fascist xxxish student in Vienna. At the same time, she narrated a documentary called The Palestinian, which angered many in the industry. Her performance in Julia won her the 1978 Academy Award for Best Supporting Actress. If she wasn't so extremely talented, her gutsy and controversial acceptance speech could have been a kiss of death for her career. Here is the text in full:

Originally posted by Vanessa Redgrave
    "My dear colleagues, I thank you very much for this tribute to my work. I think that Jane Fonda and I have done the best work of our lives and I think this is in part due to our director, Fred Zinnemann. [Audience applauds.]

And I also think it's in part because we believed and we believe in what we were expressing - two out of millions who gave their lives and were to prepared to sacrifice everything in the fight against fascist and racist Nazi Germany.

And I salute you and I pay tribute to you and I think you should be very proud that in the last few weeks you've stood firm and you have refused to be intimidated by the threats of a small bunch of Zionist hoodlums [gasps from the audience followed by a smattering of boos and clapping] whose behavior is an insult to the stature of xxxs all over the world and their great and heroic record of struggle against fascism and oppression.

And I salute that record and I salute all of you for having stood firm and dealt a final blow against that period when Nixon and McCarthy launched a worldwide witch-hunt against those who tried to express in their lives and their work the truth that they believe in [some boos and hissing]. I salute you and I thank you and I pledge to you that I will continue to fight against anti-Semitism and fascism."
    Despite this incident, she managed to kick ass even into the eighties. In 1980, she appeared on television as a female prisoner in a Nazi concentration camp in Playing for Time (1980), and the role won her the 1981 Emmy Award for Best Actress in a Miniseries or Special. Then she starred in the Merchant-Ivory film The Bostonians (1984). She played Sophia in a television miniseries about Peter the Great (1986) as well as a transsexual tennis player in the television film Second Serve (1986).

She's still kicked lots of ass since turning fifty. She appeared in the critically revered Merchant-Ivory production Howard's End and Mrs. Dalloway, an adaptation of the Virginia Woolf novel. She was even in Girl, Interrupted for crying out loud. She's also involved in theatre. She won a 2003 Tony Award for Best Actress for her performance in a revival of Long Day's Journey Into Night. In the year 2000, she received acclaim and accolades for her performance in the television film If These Walls Could Talk 2, where she played an elderly lesbian. She has also appeared on television's Nip/Tuck, alongside her daughter, Joely Richardson. Her other daughter, by the way, is Natasha Richardson (who looks a lot like her) - you may know her best as the mother from The Parent Trap (1998). One of Redgrave's latest performances was in the British wartime romance film Atonement, in which she portrayed the older Briony. She didn't have much screentime, but still managed to kick ass somehow.

Vanessa Redgrave's Mantle
    - Tommy Award Most Badass Actress (1937-)
    - Academy Award Best Supporting Actress for Julia (1977)
    - Cannes Film Festival Award Best Actress for Morgan: A Suitable Case for Treatment (1966)
    - Cannes Film Festival Award Best Actress for Isadora (1968)
    - Emmy Award Best Actress in a Miniseries or Special for Playing for Time (1980)
    - Emmy Award Best Supporting Actress in a Miniseries or Special for If These Walls Could Talk 2 (2000)
    - Golden Globe Award Best Supporting Actress for Julia (1977)
    - Golden Globe Award Best Supporting Actress in a Series/Miniseries/TV Movie for If These Walls Could Talk 2 (2000)
    - Screen Actors Guild Award Best Actress in a TV Miniseries or Movie for If These Walls Could Talk 2 (2000)
    - Tony Award Best Actress in a Play for Long Day's Journey Into Night (2003)

Re: Tribute to Vanessa Redgrave

Comment

This is the most random thread of the year.

THE WINNAR IS TOMSERVO!
      Achkerov kute.

Comment

Originally posted by Anonymouse View Post
        This is the most random thread of the year.

THE WINNAR IS TOMSERVO!

Comment

Originally posted by TomServo View Post
          Michelangelo Antonioni's Blowup [/b]
          I love some arthouse films, but I admit that this one was too much of an arthouse experience for me. I just couldn't go past 15 minutes of the film.

On the other hand Vanessa Redgrave is an excellent actress. I would place Helen Mirren in the same category.

Comment

Working...
          X