Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

Review: Oscar 2008 Films

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Review: Oscar 2008 Films

Since I've been so busy with school, I've been putting a bunch of films on hold. Classes end on Wednesday, December 17, so I'll be watching these films from then on. These films are the top contendors for the Academy Awards as well. Instead of making a separate thread for each, I'll be putting each review in here.

Doubt
    Slumdog Millionaire
    Frost/Nixon
    The Wrestler
    Revolutionary Road
    The Curious Case of Benjamin Button
    Milk
    The Reader

Re: Review: November/December Films

Ive seen a lot of previews for the "Milk" lately I'll probably go check it out.
    Positive vibes, positive taught

Comment

I have tickets to a private screening for Revolutionary Road on December 18. Unfortunently, my family is having a business dinner party that same night. I am so disappointed because I would kill to see this film a week before it's released!

In other news, I have DVD screeners for both Frost/Nixon and Milk. I'm still debating whether I should watch them or just see the films in theatres.

Comment

THE WRESTLER
        Directed By Darren Aronofsky

I just got back from watching The Wrestler at Arclight Hollywood, one of four theatres playing the film. The theatre is truly amazing, you get to pick where you sit while purchasing the tickets. The ushers also introduce themselves and the film which gives it a nice touch. They also had the original costumes Mickey Rourke wore in the film on display on the lobby. I was fascinated and couldn't help but stare for minutes on end.

As soon as the film was about to begin, I paced myself. I have been waiting nearly two years for another Aronofsky film. I've seen all three of his films and they've each been an extraordinary piece of work. I've been wondering how Aronofsky would tackle this type of project, considering he wasn't writing the screenplay.

The Wrestler is truly an emotional journey through the wrestling career of Randy "The Ram" Robinson. A popular wrestler from the 80s, the film is set in present day as Randy is already aging. His story runs parallel with Cassidy, a stripper he has built a friendship with.

Maryse Alberti, the cinematographer, and Aronosfky shot this film with an Arri 416 Super 16mm camera. The camerawork allowed us to feel the real human nature of these individuals. Randy's relationship with his daughter is heartfelt throughout the film as they struggle to make senese of their role in each other's lives. The gritty nature of the cinematography allows us to actually feel their emotions. If the acting and camerawork is not enough, Clint Mansell's beautiful score hypnotizes you and lures you into their world.

Like all of his work, Aronofsky provides us with a true gem. Aronofsky has described this as a "small, little film" with hopes not to overhype it. That's what it ultimately is; an emotional experience with wonderful performances. The use of editing his superb and like his others films, helps shape the story in its own way. The ending will keep you guessing and leaves me personally hoping I don't have to wait another two years.

Comment

At Arclight Hollywood, they also had on display the original costumes from Doubt and Revolutionary Road. I couldn't help but stare and take pictures of the suit Leonardo DiCaprio and dress Kate Winslet wore.

Comment

How expensive are tickets?

I've only seen one Aronofsky film (Requiem for a Dream) and didn't really like it, but this one has been getting almost unanimous praise.

I have so many movies to see. I haven't even seen Changeling!

Comment

Originally posted by TomServo View Post
              How expensive are tickets?

I've only seen one Aronofsky film (Requiem for a Dream) and didn't really like it, but this one has been getting almost unanimous praise.

I have so many movies to see. I haven't even seen Changeling!
              You didn't like it? I've never heard of anyone not liking it and if you truly didn't, I highly doubt you'll like The Wrestler. Requiem was one of the finest films ever, so maybe you should rewatch it.

Tickets were pretty pricey, $14.50. I don't know if that's because we saw it at midnight but it seems to be the price for all showings.

Aronofsky definitely isn't for you though. Save the criticism.

Comment

Since Revolutionary Road is in limited theatres on December 26, I'm pretty sure it's only going to be playing at Arclight Hollywood again. I just purchased tickets for a 12:01am showing on December 25. I chose the same seats as last night, too.

Hopefully, sometime during the evening, my family and I can go see The Curious Case of Benjamin Button. Good way to knock down two of the post powerful films.

Comment

I'll be watching The Reader on the 24th. Hopefully, it's as good as the book.

Comment

MILK
                    Directed By Gus Van Sant

Milk is the story of Harvey Milk, California's first openly gay elected official from San Francisco. It features one of the greatest ensamble casts since The Dark Knight, along with Sean Penn, James Franco, Emile Hirsch, Josh Brolin and Diego Luna.

It is how it sounds; we step into the life of Harvey Milk and his journey to election for supervisor of San Francisco. Through the riots and protests until he finally reaches office, we see how much they had to truly endure to get equal rights. If Brokeback Mountain wasn't your thing, this won't be either. There's a lot of, maybe a little too much, kissing in the film. I bring this up because normally I wouldn't have a problem with it. However, in the first thirty minutes of the film, I felt like they were putting it right in front of our faces a tad too much. It dies down after that so it only makes me wonder.

Overall, it's a powerful film and very well-directed. The film's cinematography is done by Harris Savides who has worked on American Gangster, Martin Scorsese's short feature The Key to Reserva, and Woody Allen's upcoming film Whatever Works. The cinematography is exceptional because it helps recreate the 1970s. For most of the film, you feel transported to that specific period of time. Especially when we see establishing footage of actual protests that Milk participated in and when we get up close and see Sean Penn, not once do you feel out of place.

The performances were great, all around, and pretty much what I expected. When Penn and Brolin share screen time, their chemistry turns into magic. Sean Penn's mannerisms and body movement are excellent as he portrays Harvey. Towards the end of the film, it gets scary good, and you wonder if Sean Penn is acting anymore. In a sense, Penn becomes Milk as he gives a powerful speech in front of thousands.

It's an interesting film to see considering I didn't know about Harvey Milk. The film is pieced together perfect, almost making it seem like a documentary, which I find to be amazing considering how well they adapted to the 70s. The film's ending is quite unbelievable, even though we are told what's going to happen in the first two minutes of the film. Milk is a very powerful and at times emotional film which will probably receive some well-deserved Oscar nominations.

Comment

Working...
                    X