Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

The Quality/Progressive Armenian Music Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Quality/Progressive Armenian Music Thread

As one can see from a quick glance at the music section, there seems to be a drought of quality Armenian music. Armenians seem to be either obsessed with regurgitating the same crap over and over again with subpar singers and bands, or don't understand our music is unique to the region, and shouldn't sound like Arabic or Turkish music with Armenian lyrics. So in an effort (probably a futile one) to inspire a sad generation of Armos to demand a higher standard/caliber of the arts as we had been known to do throughout history, I've decided to start a thread for some of the more progressive, and/or better crafted and arranged music I've come across.

Arevatsag

This band has apparently been around since the '90s, but I had not heard of them until I accidentally came across one of their videos a little while back. Great prog rock sound, without loosing too much of the original, folk sound to the songs. Unfortunately, it appears as though the singer (and occasional drummer), Hrach Mirzakhanyan, died almost exactly 2 years ago. I have not been able to find much else on this band, other than a few bits of music clips during an interview with Hrach I came across on a Google search, which sounded equally as good as the videos below.

Blbool
    Maratook
    And the afore mentioned interview

Armen Chakmakian

I did a more detailed write up for this musician somewhere in this forum. Great fusion of world sounds, including of course, Armenian. I've seldom heard someone pull off the modernization of ancient sounds like this. He has 2 solo albums (worked with several other bands in the past), and they're both excellent.

Gypsy Rain (obviously not an official video)
    Ceramonies feat. Djivan Gasparyan (GREAT video)
    MySpace page (lots more music and info here, obviously)
    Official site (even more music and info)

Armenian Navy Band

While the material of this band is very intricate, complicated, creative and unique, their style is not for everyone. Arto, who collaborated with Serj (SOAD) for his Serart side project, lives in Turkey, and is a Turkish citizen, and the "lyrics" often reflect this. Sometimes he'll sing in full blown Armenian, sometimes Turkish, but he's best known for his own language comprised of mashing incoherent Turkish and/or Armenian together. It's interesting, to say the least. But if you're into something different while still clearly displaying musical elements of the motherland, they are most definitely worth checking out.

Live video 1
    Live video 2
    MySpace page with music and info
    Official website with more music and info

Artsruni

Some of you are probably familiar with this one. They're not nearly as obscure as Arevatsag. From hearing several clips of theirs, I've noticed their sound varies widely. There are the songs like the ones I have linked to below, which basically sounds like an Armenian Jethro Tull on crack, but some of the others sound far more folksy and mild/traditional.

Cruzaid Part II
    Anush Garun
    I presume this is their official site; handful of MP3 samples available in their discography

Elvina Makarian

Part passionate, soulful artist, part chain-smoking, binge drinking cheesy lounge singer, this next entry is very.....different, as far as Armenian artists who sing in the mother tongue goes. She had won several awards, honors and critic acclaim while still in her early teens. I'm presuming she sounded very different back then versus her sultry style heard on her released albums. Personally, I like the edgy touch years of eroding her esophagus has given the songs, but I can see where others won't. Sadly, she passed away in 2007. It is unclear if it was the lung cancer, or the shot liver that got to her first. OK, morbid humor aside, it was heart failure. Her music will not be forgotten.

Yaro Jan
    2 Guitars (French)
    MySpace with music samples
    Official site with more music and info

Gor Mkhitarian

'Stancis? Any 'Stancis in the house? Many of you are probably already familiar with our brown eyed, bushy (almost uni-) browed friend. I've dubbed him the Armenian Pearl Jam for introducing almost an American folk rock sound to old Armenian (and sometimes original) folk songs, with an occasional English song thrown in. I'm not a fan of all his material, but I do like it over all. He was supposed to play at the Taste of Armenia last year in Evanston, IL, but I noticed the name of the guest performer changed about a week or so before the event to some douchebag that sang in Russian the whole time.........at Taste of ARMENIA.....

Inchu Bingyole Mtar
    Sogher Jan
    MySpace page with sample music and info
    Official site with lots more music and info

Iakovos Kolanian

Terrific classic guitar renditions of traditional Armenian songs. He was born in Greece to an Armenian father, and Greek mother (thus the Greek first name, and Armenian last name), where all of his schooling took place. He is held in high regards in Greece AND Armenia. Here's a great example of his work.

Nubar Nubar
    You can hear samples of his songs here

Inga & Anush Arshakyan

Mmkay, this is an interesting touch to old Armenian folk music from a couple of sisters some of you may know. Most of it has an eerie, haunting quality to it, but it's beautiful, and it still stays very true to the old world sound. Their voices are ASTOUNDING! As Anush (no, not the one from the band, the AC member) pointed out last night by directing me to some of their live videos (I didn't realize there were so many more videos added since I first discovered them), they get very progressive sounding on their live versions of these songs. This is one of those instances where the more I listen to the songs, the more enchanting they become.

Hasrsanekan
    Khio Khane (live)
    Khelpane (live)
    MySpace page (has music samples)
    Official site with lots more music and info

Kohar Symphony Orchestra

I am eternally thankful for discovering this next entry. Kohar finally takes traditional Armenian music back to it's classical routes, and away from all the Middle Eastern influences that tainted and adulterated its natural state. Complete with some powerhouse vocalists, an evening witnessing this symphony would be a treat to the ears of even the most discriminating music aficionados, and a walk down memory lane for those from "the old country".

Hay Nare
    Khorodig Morodig (thought it says Maratoug for the title?)
    Parov Arakil (I LOVE this guy's voice; my favorite male singer from Kohar)
    Official site

(Unnamed band)

There is only one video for these guys, but this is one of the best renditions I've heard of Tamzara without exclusively using traditional instruments. As you can see in the comments, the band has not come up with a name yet, and I don't know if they have any studio recordings, but if this video is any indication of what these guys can do, this looks very promising.

Tamzara

And that'll do for now to get things started. I'll add more later. Feel free to add anyone else of SUBSTANCE to this thread (in other words, NO Tata, or Asatryan, or Armenchik, or Nune, etc). If you want to post about useless wastes of space like those, please start a separate thread where you can continue to perpetuate the death and demise of Armenian artistry.
    Last edited by Crimson Glow; 01-27-2009, 12:28 AM.

Re: The Quality/Progressive Armenian Music Thread

thank you for this thread crimson, it's fully appreciated, we needed this.

Comment

Thanks a lot Crimson!

Comment

I would also like to point out Armenian Navy Band and the Armenoids in what they come out from the 'sentiers battus' as you mention above. these people have both imagination and creativity

Comment

Crimson.. was it Elvina Makarian that you linked me the other night??

Comment

Yes it was. One of several people I forgot to put in that list, along with the Armenian Navy Band, and Kohar Symphony. I'll add them to the original post.

Comment

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ca1jQ4-zHLE (thanks to Federate!)
              Achkerov kute.

Comment

I bet this will be the best thread of 2009. Congratulations in advance Crimson!

Comment

Originally posted by Crimson Glow View Post
                  Charles Aznavour has also covered Deux Guitares http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zqpUiR56sWE

Sardarapat with a heavy metal twist http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=50R3uJkem-w
                  Azerbaboon: 9.000 Google hits and counting!

Comment

Oaksenham -- prog rock band from Armenia.

Comment

Working...
                    X