Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

Reviews & Ratings

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Rate the last movie you watched.

The Capture of the Green River Killer

4/5.
    Positive vibes, positive taught

Comment

Originally posted by Siamanto View Post
      Consider some of his other movies, at least
      - Umberto D.
      - Sciuscią

We definitely need a Vittorio de Sica "tribute???"
      When you say consider them, at least - as in, consider them to be my favorite over The Bicycle Thief? Sorry, his films are amazing but that film in general takes it all for me.

If not a tribute to him, we definintely need a tribute to Italian/French/German cinema.

Comment

Originally posted by One-Way View Post
        When you say consider them, at least - as in, consider them to be my favorite over The Bicycle Thief? Sorry, his films are amazing but that film in general takes it all for me.
        As in "consider watching them, in case you did not (watch them already);" it's up to you how you relate to them, what place you make for them in your life, and rank them.
        Last edited by Siamanto; 06-10-2008, 02:29 PM.
        What if I find someone else when looking for you? My soul shivers as the idea invades my mind.

Comment

Vochinch chi mna

It is true that in "Vochinch chi mna", as Hayshop puts
          "Arsen and Eliza have been married for four years. Eliza is from the States, but for sake of her husband moved to Armenia. They live in a rented apartment, together with Arsen's friend, Narek. Arsen is a journalist, Eliza does not work…"

However, I could only be perplexed by the second sentence of the review, where it is said:
          "Everything seems good, until Eliza's friend, Helen, form Los Angeles" appears (The review says: "does not appear," probably a "typo???")

Personally, I would have described Eliza's life as a "living hell" that ended when Helen appeared: How everything may "seem good" in the life of a woman when her self-centered husband - Arsen - lacking the maturity - both emotional and mental - to manage his intellectual and existential crisis, constantly abuses and aggresses her in a revolting manner???

The camera work is decent, despite minor technical errors; for instance, at 25:00 the scene is not properly framed, and as the camera moves, the top of a mostly off-camera "glass/ash tray???" moves horizontally and distracts.
          The acting can be improved, and is, at times, not so convincing; for instance, the "protest scene."
          Unless the director had in mind a movie about "domestic violence," I feel that the message of the movie is not intelligently articulated????

Though one should not expect a Dovlatian, Peleshian, Malian...I would recommend watching it - only to Armenians; however, you should prepare yourself to witness some revoltingly violent and abusive behavior.

What I enjoyed in the movie:
          - Eliza
          - Some views - disappointingly few - of Yerevan; most of the movie happens in the same apartment, as in a play
          - Everybody calls Arsen by his nickname - that fits him marvelously; everybody calls him "Arse"

On Youtube
          - Scene where he's being nice, after confessing that he has intentionally burnt her arm
          - Making the movie...

P.S. *waits for LadySilver's opinion*
          Last edited by Siamanto; 06-11-2008, 06:33 PM.
          What if I find someone else when looking for you? My soul shivers as the idea invades my mind.

Comment

As in "consider watching them, in case you did not (watch them already);" it's up to you how you relate to them, what place you make for them in your life, and rank them.
            Don't worry, I've got Italian cinema covered. I just bought Fellini's 8 1/2 on Criterion Collection.

Comment

Originally posted by One-Way View Post
              Don't worry, I've got Italian cinema covered. I just bought Fellini's 8 1/2 on Criterion Collection.
              I'm sure that you'll be discovering/revisiting many other "neighborhoods" of Cinecittą, and "8 1/2" is a wonderful movie, and, definitely, a landmark/milestone of the Italian Cinema. However, we probably agree that "8 1/2" is a different "kind" of movie than "The Bicycle Thieves;" to grossly oversimplify, the former flatters mostly the intellect and the senses, while the latter talks mainly to the heart and emotions. My intention was to mention Vittorio de Sica movies, that have similar characteristics to "The Bicycle Thieves" that has, apparently, deeply touched you???
              Last edited by Siamanto; 06-11-2008, 07:21 PM.

Comment

Jurassic Park III
                I had not seen this film since the weekend it came out. Looking back, I can't even see myself loving it as much as I did when I first saw it. 6/10.

Accepted
                Fun, little film. Much better than the comedy that fills the screens today. 9/10

My intention was to mention Vittorio de Sica movies, that have similar characteristics to "The Bicycle Thieves" that has, apparently, deeply touched you???
                On many personal levels.

Comment

The Happening - 8/10

After having anticipated this film for over a year and reading one of the first drafts, this is what I have to say.

M. Night Shyamalan has said he takes B-movies but executes them with A-movie actors and filmmaking. I think that's exactly what happened with The Happening. The story dove right in without giving it enough time to build itself up. The dialogue wasn't there most of the time, it was funny for much too long and it was completely unncessary.

B-movies 50+ years ago were exactly that; very low budget which went along with their storyline. I think people need to stray away from M. Night and his "twist" endings. He has stated he is no longer going to make films with surprise endings because people expect him too. My biggest problem was why would he make this film as what he calls a B-movie? If he took more time to develop the story, it might do justice to his filmmaking techniques but if he continues to waste his talent and cut himself short, his audience will not forgive him.

With that said, there is the obvious message that lays within his story and his overall message. If we, as society, continue to do harm to each other and remain negative, we will experience an epidemic event as well. If we start a change and love one another and are determined to help each other, we can help make this world a better place. His metaphors and symbolism were there but they needed work. The Sixth Sense was an amazing journey with so much meaning. The same could be said for The Happening if M. Night believed in himself while writing the story.

Comment

4/5.

This movie is very inspirational. if you have a dream & your family doubts you never give up & the movie showed exactly that.
                    Positive vibes, positive taught

Comment

The Incredible Hulk 7/10
                      Achkerov kute.

Comment

Working...
                      X