Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

Reviews & Ratings

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Rate the last movie you watched.

I am no longer going to rate films for two reasons. My ratings will often change as I view films for a second or even third time. Also, I will just provide feedback as my rating. A film doesn't necassarily need a 9 or 10 to signify its worth. The film marathon continues!

Reservoir Dogs
    I read the script before I saw the film. It's amazing to see how much impact you can make on the industry with an intelligent story. Good film, good story and it has some memorable moments.

Pulp Fiction
    Once again, read the script before the film. So out of the place, it's genius. Very, very interesting film and a classic.

Hannah and Her Sisters
    Just like Crimes and Misdemeanors, I'd say this film is an instant classic and very underrated. One of Woody Allen's finest pictures, it deals with multiple relationships until they all boil down and connect. I loved it.

Manhattan Murder Mystery
    Very quircky, all over the place type of murder mystery. Of course, it has its hilarious moments but at times, it's just not as great as his other films. Overall, it was a very fun film to watch as everyone scrambled to solve a murder in Manhattan.

Manhattan
    Often considered one of Allen's best work, I thought it was quite exceptional but not on par with Annie Hall. I enjoyed the black and white cinematography and having Manhattan serve as a character itself throughout the film. Allen himself hated this film and I can see why -- not that I hate it -- but I know why. It hurts seeing the ending being shot with an over-the-shoulder shot, it hurts.

Bananas
    As the title says, it's Bananas. It's all over the place and I mean it. I need a second viewing to really narrow down my decision. It's a fun movie, with hilarious scenes which are totally out of Allen's norm. The scene where they order their food was hilarious.

Stardust Memories
    Woody Allen's homage to 8˝ and you can tell so by the first scene. Yes, it's just as mind boggling as Fellini's film and it's meant to be. I definitely need a second viewing because there was just so much to take in. It's done in good taste and easily a classic work by Allen.

American Beauty
    Many people don't take this film for what it's worth. They think it's a throw away type teeange flick when it really is not. The film is very powerful on many levels if only the audience could "look closer." Great directorial debut by Sam Mendes and I'm still waiting for Revolutionary Road. Cinematography was beautiful and for once, the fantasy scenes were done tastefully! I love the whole feel of this film and each character made their mark in the film.

Comment

Originally posted by One-Way View Post
      I am no longer going to rate films for two reasons. My ratings will often change as I view films for a second or even third time. Also, I will just provide feedback as my rating. A film doesn't necassarily need a 9 or 10 to signify its worth. The film marathon continues!

Reservoir Dogs
      I read the script before I saw the film. It's amazing to see how much impact you can make on the industry with an intelligent story. Good film, good story and it has some memorable moments.

Pulp Fiction
      Once again, read the script before the film. So out of the place, it's genius. Very, very interesting film and a classic.
      These two are classic and I love them.

I also would recommend Snatch and Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels, which I would say is Guy Ritchie's British equivalent of the Quentin Tarantino films here.

Manhattan
      Often considered one of Allen's best work, I thought it was quite exceptional but not on par with Annie Hall. I enjoyed the black and white cinematography and having Manhattan serve as a character itself throughout the film. Allen himself hated this film and I can see why -- not that I hate it -- but I know why. It hurts seeing the ending being shot with an over-the-shoulder shot, it hurts.
      Are all of this guy's films set in Manhattan, minus Match Point?

American Beauty
      Many people don't take this film for what it's worth. They think it's a throw away type teeange flick when it really is not. The film is very powerful on many levels if only the audience could "look closer." Great directorial debut by Sam Mendes and I'm still waiting for Revolutionary Road. Cinematography was beautiful and for once, the fantasy scenes were done tastefully! I love the whole feel of this film and each character made their mark in the film.
      To me this movie just tried too hard to be unique and different. However, it was a good flick to watch.
      Achkerov kute.

Comment

Originally posted by Anonymouse
        Are all of this guy's films set in Manhattan, minus Match Point?
        Most of his earlier films were set in parts of New York but his recent film which is due in August is his fourth in a row to be shot outside of the US. I think he's going to stick to Europe for a while, they do most of his financing and he gets to use London, Barcelona, Paris as his backdrops.

Originally posted by Anonymouse
        To me this movie just tried too hard to be unique and different. However, it was a good flick to watch.
        For what it's worth, it was a great film. I know a lot of people might watch the film and wonder why the dialogue seems to forced and generic but that's the whole idea. I think it explores a great fantasy world and its message is simple and clear.

Comment

Originally posted by Anonymouse View Post
          These two are classic and I love them.

I also would recommend Snatch and Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels, which I would say is Guy Ritchie's British equivalent of the Quentin Tarantino films here.
          For the record, I can't stand Tarantino as a person. From his interviews to videos I've seen, I don't like the guy. His recent work has not surpassed his earlier work; Kill Bill 1 and 2 vs. Reservoir Dogs and Pulp Fiction. Although Inglorious Bastards sounds intriguing and he has spent most of his life working on the story.

Comment

Originally posted by Siamanto View Post
            Fassbinder's Berlin Alexanderplatz
            I've never seen a Fassbinder, but I always thought Berlin Alexanderplatz was a feature film.

I also thought the same about some Ingmar Bergman films that were actually originally aired on television (Fanny and Alexander, Saraband).

Comment

3/5
              It was a good movie.
              Positive vibes, positive taught

Comment

Amazing. 9/10
                Achkerov kute.

Comment

The Sweet Hereafter
                  The film itself flows like a poem. It doesn't live up to Egoyan's potential and at times the film itself is a little slow. It doesn't quite develop as well as I was imagined. The music from the opening scene until the very end was beautiful. A very enjoyable film to watch because it was very beautifully and artistically made.

Ordinary People
                  I truly believe Ordinary People is one of the greatest films of all time. From the establishing shots of the opening scene, I knew it was going to exceed my expectations. Pachelbel's "Canon in D" played beautifully throughout the film. Amazing acting, character development and story structure. A very, very heartfelt film!

One Flew Over the Cuckoo’s Nest
                  Jack Nicholson at his finest, this film sets the bar when it comes to acting. Nicholson carries the film on his shoulders from beginning to end. The acting is pretty much what makes the film what it is.

In Bruges
                  A very underrated film which did not receive enough praise. Beautiful filmmaking set entirely in Bruges, Belgium. Those who have not seen it must do so immediately. Martin McDonagh is an excellent filmmaker who will go very far. The acting was amazing, the cinematography was stunning, and overall, a GREAT film.

Terms of Endearment
                  Debra Winger is amazing throughout the entire film! This film will make anybody cry and it definitely had me chocked up. The little boy at the end is enough to push anyone over the edge. Very emotional film and great acting from the entire cast. Beautiful film.

Kramer vs. Kramer
                  Another emotional film but not as much as Terms of Endearment. If anybody has ever gone through a divorce or a break-up, they could probably relate. Hoffman and Streep were both great in the film.

Gone Baby Gone
                  Casey Affleck is a very underrated actor! Ever since I was introduced to him in The Last Kiss, I have always thought so. Ben Affleck did a good job at writing and directing the picture. The story felt a little dragged at times but managed to pick up. Half way throughh, however, it feels as if the film has ended. It saves itself but it seems like there were 2-3 twists in the entire film.

The Italian Job
                  Very fun, very entertaining heist film. Wahlberg is an amazing actor and is a favorite. Charlize Theron does justice to her role as the only female. Very action packed and I wish they went ahead with The Brazilian Job.

The Royal Tenenbaums
                  You can see why Martin Scorsese told us to look at Wes Anderson for the next great filmmaker. Anderson's filmmaking is noteworthy, you'll see his action through his films. Very entertaining and hilarious at times, this film is a great example of character study. In fact, probably the best I have ever seen!

Match Point
                  I finally stepped away from all the classic Woody Allen films and took a dive into his 2005 masterpiece. Set entirely in London, Match Point is an amazing piece of work. Scarlett manages to play the seductive female who sways Meyers off his feet. Very beautifully constructed and excellent filmmaking. The ending was one of the best I have ever seen. Must see!

Comment

One-Way

MatchPoint was a very good movie.
                    Positive vibes, positive taught

Comment

It has easily become one of my top ten films. Everything about it was perfect!

Comment

Working...
                      X