Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

Reviews & Ratings

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Reviews & Ratings

Originally posted by LadySilver View Post
    First of all I have watched it more than once because I had to write a paper about the movie. I completely understand what it's about but it doesn't mean that I have to enjoy the movie. I'm glad you like it but it doesn't mean that I have to like it. It's called personal choice.
    Yeesh, it's also called calm down.

Comment

Originally posted by Siggie View Post
      I know I saw and liked this a lot... But other than very basic plot, I don't remember much about it. After having seen more from Sofie Coppola, I think I should watch this again.
      I think I like the film more from a technical standpoint, like her shot selection and show she works the camera. So, you may be right about the plot, because I liked the film for her vision.

Originally posted by Siggie View Post
      Also, some Fellini advice please... Is it okay to start with 8 1/2 or should I see something else first?
      There might be some others on here that know Fellini better than I do. I haven't seen many of his films, just and I vitelloni. I don't think it's wise to start with 8˝, because you should start with his earlier work. I've heard great things about La Strada, Le notti di Cabiria and La dolce vita, as well as Amarcord. I think should come between these films, after you understand his style. I vitelloni is a fun film about childhood - and a lot easier to take in - but I'm sure his other works clearly outshine it in many ways.

Comment

Originally posted by One-Way View Post

There might be some others on here that know Fellini better than I do. I haven't seen many of his films, just and I vitelloni. I don't think it's wise to start with 8˝, because you should start with his earlier work. I've heard great things about La Strada, Le notti di Cabiria and La dolce vita, as well as Amarcord. I think should come between these films, after you understand his style. I vitelloni is a fun film about childhood - and a lot easier to take in - but I'm sure his other works clearly outshine it in many ways.
        I got Le Notti di Cabiria. I'm going to watch that first. Yay! I'll let you know what I think.
        [COLOR=#4b0082][B][SIZE=4][FONT=trebuchet ms]“If you think you can, or you can’t, you’re right.”
        -Henry Ford[/FONT][/SIZE][/B][/COLOR]

Comment

Sounds good.

Comment

Stay

I didn't know anything about this film but heard about it through Forbes because it was on their list of the biggest flops in the last five years. The film stars Ewan McGregor, Naomi Watts and Ryan Gosling, it is written by David Benioff and directed by Marc Foster. It looked quite appealing, with that information alone, so I decided to give the film a watch.

Stay is as artsy as it gets; it's experimental with every shot, from beginning to end. Foster literally uses a specific shape/form/object as a transition from one scene to the other. At times, it's very well done, while at other times, it just draws attention to itself and doesn't allow you to participate in the story. The story is a puzzle on its own. Henry (Gosling) is a disturbed young man, who is contemplating suicide. Dr. Foster (McGregor) is trying to keep him in control, while trying to find a balance with his girlfriend (Watts).

As you would expect in such an artsy film, the narrative is everywhere at once. There spatial and temporal design of the film is not coherent at all, we literally transport from one place to another, characters begin repeating their actions, and it really builds interest until the big payoff scene. Unfortunately, there isn't much to grasp onto and we float around waiting for a decent climax that never seems to materialize. I read up on the film and found one person comparing it to The Wizard of Oz. I believe that person was right, but unfortunately, the material isn't handled as you'd hope it would be.

Zerkalo

The Los Angeles County Museum of Art held a retrospective on Andrei Tarkovsky's brilliant career, screening all his films. Unfortunately, I did not get the chance to see them all, but did see two of his greatest films, Zerkalo and Andrei Rublev. To begin, I'd like to say I had not seen a Tarkovsky film prior to these two, but knew much about his work and its significance. I was particularly excited to see these films on 35mm, and will probably end up watching his last film, The Sacrifice, as well.

Zerkalo is beautifully constructed; its lack of a traditional narrative adds to the mysteriousness of the film as it feels like a visual poem. Tarkovsky uses cinematography unlike any other filmmaker; his use of framing, camera movement and color is untouched. Tarkovsky was truly the type of filmmaker to paint within his canvas, and move the audience into a hypnotic trance. I couldn't believe some scenes, where the camera so beautifully sways across, as if each shot was a simple endeavor. I can't begin to discuss anything else because of the true poetic beauty of the film itself.

Radio Days (Second Viewing)

Radio Days is a nostalgic look at the 1930s and 1940s from Woody Allen's perspective. Woody is able to show us how it was to grow up during the Golden Age of Radio. Firstly, this film features fantastic art direction and production design. It literally transports us to this time period and makes us feel like we are apart of these people's lives, not just from its dialogue and performances, but also because of the sets and production value.

Woody effectively combines comedy and drama, and he knows exactly how to mix the combination. The characters in this film are all brilliantly written, from Joe (Seth Green) to Sally White (Mia Farrow). Woody also takes this opportunity to make a comment on class distinction during this time period; working class in comparison to the upper class. Somehow, the film brilliantly brings these characters together, through forms of entertainment (radio, movies, theaters, clubs).

Radio Days also consists of a heartbreaking story of a young girl who falls into a well. It feels almost like a tragedy for the audience, because we become so absorbed with our characters amongst the chaos within the film. Woody also effectively shows us how radio brought us all together, whether it was for a comedy program or a tragedy that took place within the city. I consider Radio Days one of my favorite Woody Allen films, and its nostalgic look at his childhood is every so beautifully displayed within this film.

Andrei Rublev

Andrei Rublev is widely consider Andrei Tarkovsky's masterpiece, and after seeing it in 35mm and in its original running time of 205 minutes, I cannot argue with such a statement. The film is divided into chapters, chronicling he life of 15th Century Russian painter Andrei Rublev.

Yes, the film is quite long in length, but it almost doesn't feel like it is. It's so surprising how engaged I felt during this film, and how each of these characters and stories were introduced. Tarkovsky doesn't tell the film is chronological order, and sometimes includes pieces within the chapters that don't connect to other parts of his films, such as the prologue. It is his way of telling the life of Andrei Rublev, however, that makes the film so wonderful.

Instead of showing us his paintings and work, Tarkovsky instead allows us to follow Rublev along in his journeys. Here, he brings up religion and questions the endurance of Christianity. Ultimately, the film isn't about the artist's work, but is about the artist himself. In both Zerkalo and Andrei Rublev, I was surprised to see how well the dialogue was written. Tarkovsky is funny when he needs to be and uses humor in such a delightful and effective way. Once again, the film is beautifully photographed and directed so magnificently by Tarkovsky. It is truly a work of art, and its ending is amongst one of the best I have ever seen.

The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford (Fourth Viewing)

I have seen this film enough to know I truly love it, so I couldn't pass up an opportunity to see it in Los Angeles in 35mm. In a sense, you can say that I have spoiled myself, and won't give up until I see all my favorites in 35mm. The Assassination of Jesse James is on my list for best of the decade. In fact, it's my pick for the best film of 2007.

Firstly, the cinematography in this film is mind-blowing. I remember watching this film for the first time with my girlfriend, who began commenting at how beautiful certain shots and scenes were. Roger Deakins displays his finest work in this film, from his use of a special lens created solely for this film, along with his ability to reveal details about each character through visuals. Andrew Dominik, in my opinion, made a spectacular film that was grossly underrated.

Brad Pitt and Casey Affleck both give terrific performances, along with its ensemble cast of Jeremy Renner, Sam Rockwell, Paul Schneider, Garret Dillahunt, among others. Nick Cave and Warren Ellis also give us a memorizing soundtrack, which drives the film in its key scenes, most notably its ending. The Assassination of Jesse James is a beautiful work of art, from start to finish, and it was wonderful to see it the way it was meant to be seen.

Do the Right Thing

Once again, I'm supposed to turn in a review for this film so I want to be careful with what I say, just in case. I can say, however, that this was my first time seeing the film. I was expecting to truly admire the film, considering all the wonderful praise it has received over the years. Unfortunately, I was left somewhat disappointed.

Spike Lee seems like he had a lot of fun making this film; its production cannot be argued with because he simply made a terrific film. He gives us both sides to the story in relation to all the racial tension. Throughout the film, I felt like he was giving us an objective look at life in his city. The ending, however, didn't sit well with me. I felt like it was one-sided, unlike many other reviews I've read, which claim it is the opposite of this. I feel like many people agree that Lee lets us do the thinking for ourselves, but in fact, I disagree. I think it's up to us to decide what the "right thing" really is, but it is also clear who Lee sides with and personally blames throughout the entirety of the film.
            of the film.

Momma Don't Allow

Momma Don't Allow is a short film which is meant to set the tone and style for the film we were going to watch in class. For the most part, it feels like we are a fly on the wall, watching the working class have a good time at a club. Unfortunately, I didn't feel like there was much else there.

The Loneliness of the Long Distance Runner

Well, here's a film that had potential. I really thought I'd enjoy this film, but couldn't find myself grabbing onto anything of emotional resonance. Tony Richardson gives us a very heavy-handed, choppy film, that battles with its own narrative. The film is poorly executed in its direction, and despite some good performances, it fails to accomplish its goal. The ending has somewhat of a redeeming value, which ultimately don't hold up either. I did, however, enjoy the characters that had a rather realistic and quite amusing bond with each other. Unfortunately, the film just didn't hold up to its standards and failed to get its themes across.

Comment

Originally posted by One-Way View Post
              Do the Right Thing

Once again, I'm supposed to turn in a review for this film so I want to be careful with what I say, just in case. I can say, however, that this was my first time seeing the film. I was expecting to truly admire the film, considering all the wonderful praise it has received over the years. Unfortunately, I was left somewhat disappointed.

Spike Lee seems like he had a lot of fun making this film; its production cannot be argued with because he simply made a terrific film. He gives us both sides to the story in relation to all the racial tension. Throughout the film, I felt like he was giving us an objective look at life in his city. The ending, however, didn't sit well with me. I felt like it was one-sided, unlike many other reviews I've read, which claim it is the opposite of this. I feel like many people agree that Lee lets us do the thinking for ourselves, but in fact, I disagree. I think it's up to us to decide what the "right thing" really is, but it is also clear who Lee sides with and personally blames throughout the entirety of the film.
              of the film.
              I enjoyed this movie, had to watch it for a class I took in college. Just a point I wanna mention...

***SPOILER ALERT***

Gawd I hated Radio Raheem, Sal had all the right to kick the guy out of the pizzeria, it is his own business. And since when can we just barge into places with a boom box at max volume playing Fight the Power? Insult to injury, the man was resisting arrest. He had it coming to him.
              Azerbaboon: 9.000 Google hits and counting!

Comment

One-Way has posted more reviews on this page than all the movies I've watched the past 5 years

The Punisher (2004)

This movie apparently got awful reviews from the critics. I found it to be thoroughly entertaining. If you like action films, especially ones based on comic book characters, this movie is worth checking out. 7.6/10
                "Nobody can give you freedom. Nobody can give you equality or justice or anything. If you're a man, you take it." ~Malcolm X

Comment

Originally posted by Federate View Post
                  Gawd I hated Radio Raheem, Sal had all the right to kick the guy out of the pizzeria, it is his own business. And since when can we just barge into places with a boom box at max volume playing Fight the Power? Insult to injury, the man was resisting arrest. He had it coming to him.
                  Well, that's partially what bothered me with the film. It seems like Spike Lee presented us with this situation, told us he is not taking sides (he really doesn't because he gives us the perspective of each character), but the characters ultimately blame Sal for everything that has occurred. People in my class said upon first viewing, they sympathized with Sal, but after watching it several times, they understood the African-Americans more clearly.

In my opinion, it was their fault, with no discussion. Sal is made to look like a cruel man, and is treated poorly. If the African-Americans minded their own business, didn't always make such a ruckus and cause havoc, nothing would have happened. They pushed Sal to the limit, which resulted in him breaking a stereo. Radio Raheem began choking Sal, which caused the police to kill him. It's really Radio Raheem's fault, and the film makes us hate both Sal and the cruel white cops. It's totally unfair and one-sided.

Comment

Le notti di Cabiria (1957)

This film, whose title translates to The Nights of Cabiria, was directed by the famous Italian director, Federico Fellini. The story follows the life of a prostitute named Cabiria, played by Fellini's wife, Giulietta Masina. At the beginning of the movie, I didn't much care for Cabiria, as she seemed crass, stubborn, and unappreciative of her friend's concern for her efforts to help her. But as the story continued, I got a better understanding of who Cabiria is... She's had a rough life, orphaned at a young age, and driven to prostitution in her youth as a means to survive. She's had bad luck at love, having been taken advantage of again and again. But she's naive and hesitant to admit when she's been taken advantage of initially (in the opening scene of the movie), but although she realizes this soon after, it doesn't keep her from trying her luck at finding love again. She's a woman who despite her poverty and occupation takes pride in being honest and being successful in meeting her basic needs and owning her own home (albiet a tiny place in a very poor area off of Rome). She longs for luck to deliver her some opportunity to make a change in her life and she's resilient in the face of setbacks. I enjoyed the movie and I found myself rooting for Cabiria as she sought good fortune and change, though is seems hopeless. That made me go back and forth a bit between being hopeful that she would make something happen (although she mostly seems to wait for something to fall in lap) and being frustrated with her for not realizing that she's foolish to think that her future holds anything but more of the same. So I'm not clear on what Fellini is intending with the movie... Is it about taking life's misfortunes in stride, not giving up, and maintaining a positive outlook on the future? Or does he want to show us that life for the poor was wretched and nearly impossible to overcome? Maybe the near drowning he opens with is symbolic of that struggle to keep one's head above water.
                    [COLOR=#4b0082][B][SIZE=4][FONT=trebuchet ms]“If you think you can, or you can’t, you’re right.”
                    -Henry Ford[/FONT][/SIZE][/B][/COLOR]

Comment

I've been so incredibly busy trying to balance schoolwork with everything else. In fact, I just broke my personal record for most films watched in one day, which is four. I know, that's not much for somebody who is supposed to be consuming films every hour, but I'll break that soon enough. Actually, two of the films were 153 minutes in length, each, and one of the other ones was 131, so that's pretty impressive.

I appreciate the review for Le notti di Cabiria. I was trying to say I've been a little busy, but will get around to seeing the film.

Comment

Working...
                      X