Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

Reviews & Ratings

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Reviews & Ratings

Inglorious Basterds 6/10

Let me just say I am a fan of Q.T. and his movies, I even like this one too. I get his style and what he was trying to accomplish however I think there were some bits in pieces in this film that if had been isolated from the rest, and elaborated on,could have made a truly better film.

Of all the scenes in the movie, the one's dealing with Shoshana the most substance and were simply just better.

The opening scene with her family being discovered and her escape, her scenes with Fredrick, her encounter with Landa again after 4 years, and her plan to burn down the theater with all the Nazi's in it. These could have been bits and pieces of a truly award winning film or at least a film that would be held in better regards. (and yes I know it already won 1 oscar, but I mean winning over all)

The only other scenes in the film that came somewhat close to having the same standard of quality were the scenes with Bridget von Hammersmark in the bar and the later scene in which she died.

The rest of the movie's scenes with Aldo Raine (Brad Pitt) and his Bastards weren't that funny, and served as a distraction from an already good story that was centered around a heroine who was already going to do the task they set out to do.

I also felt very annoyed at the bastards throughout the whole movie after the revelation that they too would attack the theater full of Nazi's, b/c I was worried they would steal Shoshana's chance for revenge. And in the end I was even more annoyed b/c her revenge was still stolen from her b/c she never got to see it carried out, or even get credit for it.

Another annoying fact was that Q.T. had Hitler and the 3 most important men in the German High Command after him, die in the theater, which also ruined it.

So to summarize my opinion again, this could have been a beautiful film about Shoshana alone, in which it follows her same story from the beginning with her family being discovered and her escape. Then cuts to 4 years later, she meets Fredrick, who still gets the premier arranged at her theater. She still meets Landa at the cafe, and then later decides to burn the theater down. She makes her film with Marcel, except maybe instead of a giant *beep* YOU" it could have been a more subtle message in which she says who she is and her story, giving a personal shout out to Landa (who would still be in the theater) sheds a few tears so some of the Nazi's could possibly feel some guilt, and then tells them simply that they will all die and burns down the theater. (However Hitler and the 2nd in command, etc aren't ever there, and instead Landa is the main villain in the movie who is the big fish to fry.)

Wether or not Shoshana and Marcel survive, idk, but i'm sure poignant endings could come about from either scenario

Comment

I disagree with your points. Inglourious Basterds isn't a film that your either love or hate, but rather a film that either works or doesn't, because of several things, including its narrative structure, juxtaposition of scenes, and so on.

Comment

Yerek Yereko

I posted my thoughts on this film in the thread by StarkEvade. I'm too lazy to find it now, but I am working on a blog entry that gives my thoughts on this film. In a nutshell, it's exactly what we need from our fellow Armenian filmmakers.

Cries and Whispers

I've seen a handful of Ingmar Bergman films now, and have seen enough to love his style of filmmaking. Cries and Whispers is quite different from his other work, but its still haunting and atmospheric. I've heard many people say that this particular film left that feeling cold, and while I don't necessarily agree with them, I can understand their points. I just think there's too much in this film to take in with one viewing.

Interiors (Second Viewing)

Interiors is Woody Allen's homage to Ingmar Bergman's Cries and Whispers. I say homage, you say plagiarism... at least, that's what everybody else seems to think. Interiors was Woody's first "serious film" as he called it, and it's also one of his best films. I had the chance to see it in 35mm, following Cries and Whispers, and it was a remarkable experience. Like Cries and Whispers, the film is very atmospheric, beautifully photographed, along with solid performances from this ensemble cast. Its both haunting and beautiful, and holds a place in my top ten favorite films from Woody Allen.

Il Postino

I stumbled upon this film at my local library and picked it up after hearing very good things about the film. First of all, it was not what I expected for two reasons. First of all, the cover of the DVD makes it look like a horribly cheap film. Second of all, I wouldn't label this film a romantic comedy. Instead, its a delicate film about a postal worker who ends up befriending his idol, Pablo Neruda. Il Postino is a heartbreaking film, and its love story is anything but the center of the film. Its definitely worth a watch, especially if you're in the mood to feel moved and touched by a film.

Breathless (Second Viewing)

I had the opportunity to see Breathless in 35mm in honor of its 50th anniversary. I saw the film amongst many senior citizens who, I'm sure, had first seen this film when they were my age. Breathless changed the face of cinema and broke all its rules. There are jump cuts, unconventional camera angles, and scenes with dialogue that go on and on. That's exactly why this film is full of brilliance -- because it broke all these rules and showed us what cinema could be.

The Godfather (Second Viewing)

I didn't feel like I had seen Casablanca and Breathless until my second viewing, which was in 35mm. That's exactly the case with The Godfather. I fell in love with this film and every frame of it this second time around. This is a favorite of so many and I wouldn't be able to write a review. I just want to say that if you haven't seen this film on a big screen, you haven't seen this film... period.

Ararat (Third Viewing)

Last week, I had the opportunity of seeing Ararat with Atom Egoyan. Yes, with Atom Egoyan. No, he didn't come over. Instead, he was screening the film in Los Angeles and was in attendance. For once, he stayed and watched the film and held a Q&A right after. I've discussed this film in length before so there's not much more I'd say no. I might discuss this film in a future blog. I also had the chance of meeting and speaking with David Alpay, who plays Raffi in the film. I think that was the highlight of the evening - other than speaking with Atom Egoyan - because I haven't seen anything else by this extraordinary actor. I'll probably discuss this entire evening in a blog, because it was a special evening.

Kevorkian

Well, everybody saw You Don't Know Jack starring Al Pacino. I can bet, however, that none of those people (or only a few, perhaps) will see Kevorkian. Kevorkian is a documentary on Dr. Jack Kevorkian and it recently premiered on HBO. In short, you should see it immediately, because you hear about Dr. Jack Kevorkian's life and troubles through his own words. The Armenian Genocide is also very effectively highlighted and mentioned throughout the documentary. This is both an engaging and striking portrait of a man who was taken advantage by the media. In my opinion, it was much more effective than the film, despite them both being excellent films.

Shutter Island (Second Viewing)

Shutter Island is a film that you have to see twice, right? Well, I saw it twice, so I guess I'm done here. I don't know what more to say about this film other than it is extremely well directed and photographed. Its performances are also top notch. I don't know how I feel about this film, given its adaptation from this source material. Personally, I don't think it's a cheap film or that it gives us a cheap ending, although many people have told me that they do. I think it's an engaging and entertaining film, and that'e enough to win me over.

Comment

I recently saw Inception at an advance screening nearly a week before its release. I wrote about the film in my blog.

Inception is a mind-blowing masterpiece – a delicate and beautiful film that is both complex and touching, and will soon become known as Christopher Nolan’s best film.

Christopher Nolan presents us with his first original screenplay in ten years – overwhelming in its narrative and originality – and is being released at a time when the film industry is desperate for sequels, remakes, and endless reboots of franchises, which makes us ask ourselves – are we ready for a cerebral blockbuster?

Read More

Comment

(New Movies)

Inception- 9/10

Great film, it's one of the only films I've seen where almost everyone was at the edge of their seats as the suspense increased. However it's a film you have to pay attention to for around 2.5 hours, so if your more interested in seeing a movie that's more for fun and passing the time see something else.

Also, if you can, see this film in IMAX or Cinemark XD

Despicable Me- 6.7/10

Warm Fuzzy Goodness, the villain's mother seems like she's secretly Armenian, and some memorable quotes. But it seems like it's missing something. I felt more of the inner warmth and fuzzyness when watching movies like "Up," "Wall-e," etc.

Knight & Day 6.7

Went in with low expectations but was surprised. It wasn't as bad as it was made out to be and I'm sure I'll see it on again on HBO or something.

The Last Airbender- 2/10

Almost everything about this film was wrong too. From the writing, the casting, the directing.. Even all the little details like names of the main characters and places and the way they were pronounced, annoying an already familiarized audience. And while you might say "who cares, it was a kids cartoon" this show wasn't exactly a run of the mill series, it aired in 105 countries and averaged around 5 million American viewers per episode in it's last season, something some primetime shows can't even achieve.

This film is so bad that when I was at the midnight premier for "Inception" when the preview for "DEVIL" played, everyone booed when it announced it was by M Night Shamaylan, untill the preview's end. One person a few rows down even shouted out "AIR BEND THIS!!!" and made a rude gesture.

Now M Night says that despite the reviews, he'll continue with the sequels b/c the first movie made enough money to merit them. Hopefully Nickelodeon was smart enough to have put an exit clause in his contract, and will just cancel the next 2, wait a few years and reboot.

(Older Movies)

Carriers- 5.6/10

4 youths travel across America in post apocalyptic pandemic society (Not a zombie movie). Decent film, could have been better had there been some minor changes in the script and casting.

The Crazies- 6/10

Something in the water makes people go crazy. Also it makes the really ugly. Also not a zombie movie, but better than the aforementioned movie.

Shutter Island- 7/10

Well directed, and all that yada. Though I'm really tired of seeing Ben Kingsly in the role of the antagonist, especially since he always acts the same nowadays. I also felt gypped on the ending, people told me I wouldn't see it coming, that I'd think I knew what it was but would totally be wrong. However I knew what it was from the beginning and nobody even had to tell me.

War of the Worlds- 7/10

Ever since I saw this movie I think back to that scene where Tom Cruise kills that one guy while his daughter sings hushaby mountain, rather than Chitty Bang Bang

Independence Day- 7/10

Will Smith. Jeff Goldblum. Killer Aliens. what else do you want?

Willie's IMDB says there's going to be 2 sequels to this, though the details are only on IMDB Pro along with 30 more films in development(Including M.I.B. 3, Bad Boys 3, I-Robot 2, Hanxxxx 2, The Karate Kid 2, and many more) so who knows if they'll ever be made

Comment

GrownUps
              7/10

Five best friends playing basketball who there icon was there coach.
              30 years later coac dies, thet reunite & rent a lake house to spend time with eachother & also put there coaches ashes 2 rest.
              Positive vibes, positive taught

Comment

I've been busy, but here's an analysis of Inception.

Kicks, and Totems, and Dreams! Oh My!

Comment

Originally posted by One-Way View Post
                  I've been busy, but here's an analysis of Inception.

Kicks, and Totems, and Dreams! Oh My!
                  I loved that movie and while i see some merit in this
                  "Cobb is finally reunited with his children and has freed himself of the guilt over his wife, and is no longer in fear about distinguishing between reality and the dream world. For this reason, he no longer waits to see if the top will keep spinning or if it will fall down. Cobb lets himself see the faces of his children, and whether this is a dream or reality, this is where he wants to be."
                  I am pretty convinced he is not in reality. That totem may have belonged to his wife once but it served him perfectly well all the time. In the end the totem was spinning without slowing down indicating it was not in reality. If that matters to Cobb or not anymore is another story.

Another movie i saw was the wizerds apprentice. This movie was fun to watch and had a magical feeling about it which made you feel like it could have been even better had more work been done on it.
                  Hayastan or Bust.

Comment

Originally posted by Haykakan View Post
                    I loved that movie and while i see some merit in this
                    "Cobb is finally reunited with his children and has freed himself of the guilt over his wife, and is no longer in fear about distinguishing between reality and the dream world. For this reason, he no longer waits to see if the top will keep spinning or if it will fall down. Cobb lets himself see the faces of his children, and whether this is a dream or reality, this is where he wants to be."
                    I am pretty convinced he is not in reality. That totem may have belonged to his wife once but it served him perfectly well all the time. In the end the totem was spinning without slowing down indicating it was not in reality. If that matters to Cobb or not anymore is another story.
                    First of all, thank you for taking the time to read the blog. I really appreciate that, regardless.

Second of all, those last few lines pretty much sum up the point of the film. As I said, whether he is in reality or still in a dream, it's the thematic the filmmaker wanted to accomplish.

If you want to get technical, however, the totem was not "spinning without slowing down..." It did, in fact, wobble, which would technically mean that he is in a dream, because the totem would always spin flawlessly in a dream. It had never previously wobbled, it had always spun without a flaw.

I don't think there's a reason to bring this up again, because whether it was spinning flawlessly or if it began to wobble, the filmmaker cuts to black, which means this is all irrelevant.

Comment

I agree with One-Way. None of that matters because the filmmaker cuts to black which means he's leaving it unknown for a reason or he wants us to reach our own conclusion as to whether it continues to spin flawlessly or ends up stopping. The wobbling can mean it eventually comes to a stop...but we won't ever know :>

In some ways it reminded me of Blade Runner's ending when we are left with not knowing if Rick Deckard is a human or not...but certain clues are left for us to decide on our own

If you haven't seen Blade Runner I highly recommend it.

Comment

Working...
                      X