Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

Reviews & Ratings

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Reviews & Ratings

Originally posted by Federate View Post
    The Expendables 5/10 - The plot is garbage and save for Mickey Rourke, the acting sucks. But if you love all those washed up stars from the 80s, 90s, grew up watching their action movies, and just want to have a good laugh at people being blown up, then I recommend to go with "the guys" and watch this.
    What kind of person are you, why would you contribute to the profits of that movie.

Comment

Originally posted by Muhaha View Post
      What kind of person are you, why would you contribute to the profits of that movie.
      Retirement help.
      Azerbaboon: 9.000 Google hits and counting!

Comment

Just saw The Town. Definitely believe Jeremy Renner will be getting an Oscar nom for his performance as the out of control Boston criminal. I was a bit caught off guard by Blake Lively's performance; she usually has the acting skills of a brick...so brava to her!

Comment

The Expendables 3.5/10 what a waste of time, maybe if it had some better actors, and the story was developed a bit more it could of work, but it's definitely a fail.

Devil 6.5/10 I wasn't going to see this at first since M Night Shamaylan was involved (story writer). But when I saw he didn't write the screenplay and he didn't direct, I decided to give it ago. It was a decent film, it's not really as much of a horror film as they're making it out to be however which may leave some audience members disappointed since they thought thats the kind of film they were gonna see.

Let The Right One In(Låt den rätte komma in) 8/10

A movie about a 12yr old Swedish boy that falls for a seemingly 12 yr old vampire that moves in next door. Great movie, good and popular enough that they've made an English remake that comes out this october

Comment

ara87, Let The Right One In (Låt den rätte komma in), 8/10

A movie about a 12yr old Swedish boy that falls for a seemingly 12 yr old vampire that moves in next door. Great movie, good and popular enough that they've made an English remake that comes out this october.
            i thought the story behind this film was well-written, all of the actors did a terrific and convincing job, and it had great cinematography. in a sea of very-clichéd vampire flicks today, this was extraordinarily unique and portrayed the more human side of a vampire. i did, however, find the implicit theme of underage sexuality disturbing. even though the female vampire is 200-some years old, she physically remains a 12 year old (especially in the movie watchers eye). the nude, full-frontal scene of her was completely unnecessary. i'm actually not looking forward to the american version; "if it it ain't broke, don't fix it". i can only imagine what level of filth an american remake will bring to the screen.

Comment

Originally posted by Wowie View Post
              Just saw The Town. Definitely believe Jeremy Renner will be getting an Oscar nom for his performance as the out of control Boston criminal. I was a bit caught off guard by Blake Lively's performance; she usually has the acting skills of a brick...so brava to her!
              Did you read my blog about The Town?

I agree with your thoughts. Jeremy Renner was fantastic and completely embodied his role. Blake Lively was a pleasant surprise as well and her performance may push her toward candidacy. I think Christian Bale will end up getting nominated and winning for Best Supporting Actor, and I'm saying that now before even seeing The Fighter.

Comment

Originally posted by armogrid View Post
                i thought the story behind this film was well-written, all of the actors did a terrific and convincing job, and it had great cinematography. in a sea of very-clichéd vampire flicks today, this was extraordinarily unique and portrayed the more human side of a vampire. i did, however, find the implicit theme of underage sexuality disturbing. even though the female vampire is 200-some years old, she physically remains a 12 year old (especially in the movie watchers eye). the nude, full-frontal scene of her was completely unnecessary. i'm actually not looking forward to the american version; "if it it ain't broke, don't fix it". i can only imagine what level of filth an american remake will bring to the screen.
                Yeah, some of the sexual themes were a bit irksome, even after apparently being toned down from the book. The frontal shot had me like wtf? for a moment too, but after reading about the movie in the message boards and faq seection on IMDB, I found out it was

"To demonstrate that Eli lacks either a penis or a vagina and is not a biological female......

She was born male but was castrated and turned at the age of 12 by another vampire for a seemingly sadistic ritualistic reason. This is only hinted at in the film, without any elaboration, however, she does mention to Oscar twice that she "is not a girl" and asks him if he would like her anyway if this were the case. Also, in a brief scene in which Eli is changing into a dress, there is a shot of her pubic area, revealing that she has neither a penis nor a vaginal slit, rather a large, ugly scar. Eli's "real" (original) name is revealed in the novel as being Elias."

There was supposed to be a flashback to this, but the director didn't want it in the film.

In the American version, Eli's character will just be a girl who was made into a vampire and not a castrated boy

Comment

wow, that's twisted and very interesting. thanks for sharing that information. obviously, i never read the book, but it makes more sense now. when watching the film, i took the "i'm not a girl" as meaning she was a vampire and not human, or she wasn't an "ordinary" girl. but, this takes that saying to a completely different level. i only watched it once, but will review it again with that in mind. thanks again

Comment

The Social Network

I wasn't hyped up for this film at all when it was first announced, probably because I was afraid of such a film coming out at such a time, when Facebook is at its peek. I especially didn't like the idea of Justin Timberlake in the film, and it all felt too Hollywood. I was interested but certainly not hyped... that is until a week or two before the film was about to be released. I started becoming mesmerized by the trailer and began feeling sympathetic to the storyline and the main character. I was suddenly moved by the trailer and felt that this was a film that should be embraced. I didn't have the chance to see the film until tonight because of schoolwork, but I was definitely thinking about it every day since its release.

So, the first question is probably, did it live up to its hype? I don't try to hype films up, but it's only natural. I guess, in a sense, this film was building up in my head and was becoming a perfect film. So, it's twice as surprising, when I found that that hype was being rewarded. The film begins without hesitation - we're in a full blown conversation with rapid dialogue. It's right in front of us, all of a sudden, and you know you're in for a ride. I was afraid I would know where the film was going to go the whole time, because I know so much about the history of Facebook (well, I know what everybody else knows) and, at the same time, I worried that the film would take sudden, unexpected turns, such as the exploitation of the party lifestyle, or following unnecessary characters. I was surprised, then, when the film moved along just as I hoped it would. It built up its momentum while feeding us bits of information - as if while Facebook was slowly being created, we are, at the same time, slowly being given details of the story.

I remember stopping and thinking to myself while watching the film after quite sometime, "Isn't Justin Timberlake in this film? Where is he?" I knew then that this was a terrific film with excellent storytelling, because all the things I knew that were coming were coming but in unexpected way. Sean Parker is introduced at the right moments and we visit his character only when necessary. Justin Timberlake does a terrific job portraying a pretentious man who is the center of attention. This is a nomination, for sure, at least in my opinion. This is a pop star playing a very important role in a film, and not once does it feel like you're watching him. I was also fearing that the story between the Winklevoss brothers would drag on, but again, we visit them when necessary and they add their own depth to the story.

The focus of the film is simply Mark Zuckerberg - as it should be. This is who we're all interested in and it is his story, from beginning to end. Jesse Eisenberg brings such depth to the role, that it would have fallen and failed had another actor took the role. I'm thinking of Michael Cera here, who is not a bad actor, but certainly plays the same role in almost every film. It's a shame too because he is possibly a terrific actor, but it's often repetitive. Eisenberg here explores a persona that reminds us of characters that Michael Cera has explored, but Eisenberg brings a sense of naivety. He doesn't need to say much - he's expressive and we often know what he's thinking by looking at him.

I knew beforehand that the film was shot on the Red One. It's quite obvious that this is a digital film, and I don't know if that's just because I study film. I can't say that I didn't like the look - the cinematography was beautiful, some of the shots were some of the best I've seen in film this year. I'm just against digital cinema, at least in the case of such a big production. It's not excuse though, because in the hands of David Fincher, it's still breathtaking. The directing is handled very carefully, the writing is spot on, and the film is beautifully structured and well told. It's being praised by critics and audiences for that reason - it's a beautifully crafted film and that's what's most important.

It's my favorite of the year, thus far, and I don't see much competition other than Black Swan. I'm looking forward to everything else but don't see anything coming as close, but never say never. I think this is a definite lock for Best Picture, Best Director and Best Adapted Screenplay, and will probably (and should) receive nominations for Best Actor and Best Supporting Actor (Justin Timberlake).

Comment

Last week my wife & I went to Blockbuste & got those 5 movies for $20.00

We got: Precious...Serious Man...21...Lakeview Terrace...4th Kind

I've seen all of them before, but this being the 2nd time watching I've only seen LakeView Terrace & Serious Man
                      Last edited by MrHyeSev; 10-15-2010, 02:33 AM.
                      Positive vibes, positive taught

Comment

Working...
                      X