Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

Oscar Peterson

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well she has quite an impressive band behind her. Mulgrew Miller and Jeff Watts are included.

She has her own site, too: Rene Marie

I will check it out when I am home.

Comment

Oscar doesn't happen to be black, does he? ...

Comment

Yes, he is black.

Comment

Take a look at this, I knew I wasn't the only one thinking the same thing, the author just phrased it so much better. And I do agree, her perfomance is vocally very sensual and passionate with that edgy "lip-biting" effect.

==========

Vertigo
          René Marie | MaxJazz 114

Ms. Marie serves up a release even more satisfying than her delectable debutHow Can I Keep From Singing.

Laverne Butler, Carla Cook, and now René Marie have all released their second recordings for the MaxJazz Vocal Series. Ms. Marie is following up her 2000 releaseHow Can I Keep From Singing(MaxJazz 109) withVertigo, another collection of provocatively chosen standards and originals. Outstanding from her debut on MaxJazz was her steamy, sexually charged delivery of Santamaria's “Afro Blue.” Added to that reading was the cusp cover of “Tennessee Waltz,” delivered in a lip-smacking multicultural, multi-genre style made famous by Miles Davis, Cassandra Wilson, and now perfected by MaxJazz. OnVertigo, this cusp cover is the Beatles's “Blackbird,” which Ms. Marie expels slowly and effortlessly as if in a single breath. Joined again by pianist Mulgrew Miller with bassist Robert Hurst and Drummer Jeff Watts along for the ride this time, Ms. Marie further out on the limb of artistic risk taking, largely with positive results.

René Marie displays her torch singing stripes on several pieces, beginning with the disc opener, “Them there Eyes,” which she scats through in a scorching manner and “I'd Rather Talk About You”. R & H's “Surrey With The Fringe On Top” is delivered in a folksy down-home manner. “I Only Have Eyes for You” is given a slight Bossa treatment by guitarist John Hart and Chris Potter provides brilliant minimalism to the minimalist “It's Alright With Me.” The title piece, a Marie original, is an angular, off center quest for love. Chris Potter's tenor makes this piece even more dizzying.

The composition and delivery are polyrhythmic to the extreme and capable of inducing vertigo. The disc centerpiece is without question the pairing of “Dixie” with “Strange Fruit.” Some critics have considered this coupling controversial. There is nothing controversial about it. It is a brilliant irony, juxtaposition, transmogrification, or whatever 25-cent word one wants to apply. Ms. Marie opens the medley with an unaccompanied rendering of “Dixie” that she pulls through the Blues, Spirituals and Gospel traditions with a lighted torch. “Strange Fruit” is taken as a slow New Orleans March, a “St. Vincent's Infirmary” as a drum march. Jeremy Pelt's trumpet echoes Satchmo and King Oliver, screaming with Marie as she sings of the “smell of burning flesh.” Beautifully done and worth the purchase price of the whole disc if for nothing else. This disc is a worthy follow-up to her debut and proves Ms. Marie one of the great high-wire acts in jazz today.
          ====
          Amen!

Article

Comment

Oscar Peterson, sounds like a swedish name.Is he a swede?

Comment

Originally posted by Tres Bien
              Oscar Peterson, sounds like a swedish name.Is he a swede?
              It's probably the name of his ancestors' master, aka slave-owner.

The master may well have been a Swede.

Comment

oh now i get it lol He cant be swedish, because he doesnt looked like a swede, simply Those swedes, haa! and they say they are so democratic and all that, and then they keep slaves!
                Last edited by Tres Bien; 04-27-2004, 01:21 AM.

Comment

Working...
                X