Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

Modern Armenian Pop Music (not rabiz! not harout! not nune!)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Modern Armenian Pop Music (not rabiz! not harout! not nune!)

Hey everyone - I'm new here. I've actually been reading the posts here on and off for a few weeks. But I finally decided to post because I figured you'd all want me to anyway.

I never really enjoyed Armenian music growing up. But a couple of years ago, I started to become very interested in my Armenian culture/heritage, and especially interested in the preservation of our language (read: assimilation issues), and today I'm quite the hayrenaser.

Being obsessed with language and the culture naturally led me to listen to Armenian music.

But I don't listen to rabiz, or the typical barahantes/wedding singers, or Nune, etc. I listen to Armenian pop. Typical pop music, often with Armenian instrumentation, sometimes completely European-sounding. And sometimes they'll have songs that are re-workings of old/traditional/joghovrtayin songs, which I love. (Especially when they are kavaragan Arevmdahaygagan songs - my heart melts hearing those reproduced.)

Anyway, I've come here to see if anyone else listens to this kind of music. (I'm quite desperate it seems...lol) I'll post a list of my favorites -- they're all female singers, go figure.

Armine Nahapetyan
    Hasmik Karapetyan
    Karine Movsisyan
    Maya Margaryan
    Emmi
    Lilit Karapetyan
    Aida Sargsyan
    Sirusho
    Hayuhiner
    Suzy
    Anna Armenakian

So - if you listen to any of these artists, I'd appreciate if you'd post! I actually have a question or two on some of their songs and where I can buy them!

Finally - I promise I'll contribute to this board in a more signifcant manner in the future.

Oh, and as for my non-Armenian music taste - I listen to house, electroclash, and europop. So if you like any of that, you can post here, too.

Thanks!!
    Last edited by Che_Ka; 12-18-2004, 10:07 PM.

I am sorry, Pop is not my thing.

Heard of Armenian rock? Good stuff.

Nice of you to post on this forum, check your messages!!!

Comment

Hey!

LOL @ Hasmik sounding like she's having sex!!! haha I suppose it's the fact that there's no zurna, or duduk in her songs!

I know - when I first started getting into this stuff, I played it for my mom. And she's like "hima asi haygagan yerk eh?" Jeeeez. Strict standards. The way I see it - if I was living in Yerevan right now, and if I liked pop music, this is the stuff I'd listen to. Do people there listen only to their traditional music? No... (But anyway, I do like my fair share of zurna and duduk.)

My favorite from those traditional songs I was talking about is "Yellek Yertank" by Aida Sargsyan. It's written in an old Western dialect (probably Sasoon), and Aida sings in that dialect. You can hear the distinct dialect grammar - which is part of the charm of the song. I'll type out the lyrics. I love it. It's clearly a song about a journey the villagers take (an ookhd) to a church in the local mountains, and then they complain about their hurting feet. The song is fast, and the production is quite traditional. (I played it for my mom and she recognized the "hye dodig" part.)

"Yellek yertank mur sareroon
      Dzaghguneroon desootyan
      Momer varenk
      Soorp Marootoon muzi hasni oknootyan

[chorus] Yellek yertank....[something..] hye dodig, dodig, dodig...

Yellank katsink menk Maratoo
      Ookhd oo bayman gabeloo
      Momer varenk, menk irar hed
      Jrakalouys Maratoo"

Then there's a part towards the end...

"Sasno dgha, shad khorod es,
      Maratoon ______??
      Ov vor g'ooze, ov vor chooze
      Buhdi khaghank mayrokeh.....

....Ookhdavor em, ookhdatsi,
      hye dodig, dodig, dodig..."

Aida also re-did "Shirkhani," which I'm sure everyone knows.

And I did watch the Telethon (partly to see if any of my favorites would be on!! lol), and I don't think I saw the trio you're talking about. Although it might be Zulal - they are an East Coast Amerigahay group doing traditional Armenian music. They have a website, so you can check that out.

Speaking of the Telethon - did you see Nune's performance?? I know I said I don't listen to her, but I LOVED the song she did. It was another joghovrtayin song, about Spuirkahays and "yerp bidi vertarnak mayr hayastan" and "Sasun, Marash, hay hogh e na." It was really good, and perfect for the occasion. Any leads on what song that is?

Comment

Hayq - gu neres, rock music-uh aganchners gu tsavtsneh.

Comment

Have you heard Olga Ayvazyan?

She's not bad either, a bit la la ish, but not bad.

and Gaucho, have you seen Hasmik Karapetyan?

She flaps her lashes at the camera 50 times per minute. But she has a beautiful voice.

Comment

spiral - yeah, but I've only heard one song of hers, "chga chga." It's not bad - but i think it's a cover.

Comment

she has better ones, though that's catchy as well.

Comment

i like catchy. do tell.

Comment

Gaucho, the "good" Lilit, as I like to call her is Pipoyan. Definitely not pop.

As for your list, I've heard maybe one or two songs from each of them..

Sirusho has potential, and she is so cute..
                  Maya Margaryan has some original stuff out there. Hay Zinvor was definitely kick a$$ when it came out.
                  Aida Sargsian is amaaaaaaaaazing KEF. But this is only true for Shirkhani and Lorke. Her other songs, I found pretty blah.

I don't think I'm qualified enough to post about the other singers.

Welcome to the board by the way!

Comment

And ah yes...cute nickname.

Eh ha kaaaaaaaa.

Comment

Working...
                    X