Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

Religion in Decline? Shifting Religious Identities

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Religion in Decline? Shifting Religious Identities

Originally posted by USAToday
    The 2008 results, to be released today, are based on 54,000 interviews with a margin of error of plus or minus 0.5%. It finds that, despite population growth and immigration adding nearly 50 million more adults, almost all denominations have lost ground since the first ARIS data was released in 1990.
    Atheism/Agnosticism/No religious identity is up.

Click to see cool interactive graph
    [COLOR=#4b0082][B][SIZE=4][FONT=trebuchet ms]“If you think you can, or you can’t, you’re right.”
    -Henry Ford[/FONT][/SIZE][/B][/COLOR]

Re: Religion in Decline? Shifting Religious Identities

Many people originally emigrated to US to free themselves from religious persecutions in Europe. US remains one of the most religious tolerant countries in the world (even if someone does not believe in any form of religion). This is constitutionally guaranteed to us as residents of this Nation.

This is outstanding but……

Here is the official language of US Department of State in regards to foreign policies:

Given the U.S. commitment to religious freedom, and to the international covenants that guarantee it as the inalienable right of every human being, the United States seeks to:

- Promote freedom of religion and conscience throughout the world as a fundamental human right and as a source of stability for all countries;
    - Assist newly formed democracies in implementing freedom of religion and conscience;
    - Assist religious and human rights NGOs in promoting religious freedom;
    - Identify and denounce regimes that are severe persecutors of their citizens or others on the basis of religious belief.

Anybody see a problem here?

B0zkurt Hunter

Comment

No, why make people guess? Just say what you mean.

And while the country provides these freedoms, I would not say the US is the most religiously tolerant, especially not for non-believers.
      [COLOR=#4b0082][B][SIZE=4][FONT=trebuchet ms]“If you think you can, or you can’t, you’re right.”

Comment

Originally posted by Siggie View Post
        No, why make people guess? Just say what you mean.

And while the country provides these freedoms, I would not say the US is the most religiously tolerant, especially not for non-believers.

Siggie, I always say what I mean. That is one of my problems.

I was just trying to see if people realize what all of this beautiful statements really mean especially the last sentence.
        This gives the US leaders the justification to intervene in other countries affairs in the name of freedom, democracy, and religious intolerance when in reality is none of their business.

OK, then where in the world is more tolerant?

I personally do not object at all to Atheism. I am under the belief that man has lost/manipulated the true message of God but I will continue to stay loyal to my faith.

Question: Do Atheists have a certain rules/code that they follow???

Thanks in advance.
        B0zkurt Hunter

Comment

People with no spiritual zeal can still be pursuaded to irrationally fear half the world through propaganda. You just have to make them fear for their lives.

Btw, what are you bets on what distribution of religions/lack thereof Americans will subscribe to 20 years from now?

I can guess for Western Europe: My bet is 50% Islam, 50% Atheist/Agnostic.
          Last edited by jgk3; 03-09-2009, 01:33 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Eddo211 View Post
            Siggie, I always say what I mean. That is one of my problems.

I was just trying to see if people realize what all of this beautiful statements really mean especially the last sentence.
            This gives the US leaders the justification to intervene in other countries affairs in the name of freedom, democracy, and religious intolerance when in reality is none of their business.
            Yeah, I did see that, but it wasn't relevant to the topic so I didn't think that was your point.

OK, then where in the world is more tolerant?
            Parts of Europe.

Question: Do Atheists have a certain rules/code that they follow???

Thanks in advance.
            No, Atheists do not have certain rules or codes. You are making the very common mistake of assuming that morality comes from religion. It comes from society. So, atheists aren't amoral.

Comment

Come to think of it?
              the relevance of my question could indirectly imply that just maybe, under Atheism, such Government policies will no longer be needed….…..as it seems to be still needed in a Democracy that has a separation of Church and State.

Gosh Siggie, you are so defensive. I never implied lack of morality when I asked about any set of codes or such. I am sorry if I came across wrong. I will do some research on this subject to understand it better.

Sheers
              B0zkurt Hunter

Comment

I'm not being defensive. What did you mean by rules/codes then?

Comment

Ok I'm waiting for someone to say Atheism is a religion.
                  this post = teh win.

Comment

Originally posted by Siggie View Post
                    I'm not being defensive. What did you mean by rules/codes then?
                    I really was referring to our values (Code of conduct in my limited ancient mentality)…….but come to think of it, if I am not wrong, our values come from our culture which is much older than religion. That is for sure.
                    Last edited by Eddo211; 03-09-2009, 06:28 PM.
                    B0zkurt Hunter

Comment

Working...
                    X