Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

Stephen Hawking 'very ill'

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stephen Hawking 'very ill'

LONDON, England (CNN) -- Scientist and author Stephen Hawking is "very ill" and has been hospitalized, according to Cambridge University, where he is a professor

http://www.cnn.com/2009/TECH/science...lth/index.html

When asked later to name a teacher who had inspired him, Hawking named his Mathematics teacher, Mr Tahta (Dikran Tahta).

Dikran Tahta comes from a family of survivors of the 1915 Armenian Genocide in the Ottoman Empire who settled in Manchester after the First World War. Much of his childhood, and the influence of his Armenian religious upbringing is reflected upon in his penultimate book Ararat Associations, in which he notes how his parents were keen for their children to have an English education, yet made sure that they spoke Armenian at home. He was christened by Bishop Tourian in the Armenian Church in Manchester, and his name Dikran was shortened to the diminutive D!ck (Sorry aperson ), but he never forgot his Armenian roots.

Some of these are reflected on in his book Ararat Associations, where he remembers "my father, who would be standing, like the other males, with open arms extended in their own way of praying. Kneeling was for women and children".

From Rossall School, in Fleetwood, Lancashire, he gained a scholarship to Christ Church, Oxford, in 1946. His main subject was Mathematics, but he also read widely in English literature, philosophy and history.

Between leaving university and just before national service, he took time out to catalogue the library of the late Bishop Indjian (died 1950), and read a number of his books on Turkish history for the first time.

Tahta did national service in the RAF from 1950 to 1952, then after a brief foray into journalism, returned to Rossall School in 1954, where he began teaching English and History, but gradually moved into mathematics teaching.
    "Nobody can give you freedom. Nobody can give you equality or justice or anything. If you're a man, you take it." ~Malcolm X

Re: Stephen Hawking 'very ill'

I heard that on yahoo news, the part that his ill
    It was yahoo's headline Heh.
    Positive vibes, positive taught

Comment

I'm surprised (given the title) this was more about the Armenian teacher. I think it's great that he's being recognized though.

Pepsi, how it is funny that Hawking is ill? "Heh."

Hawking's books, "The Universe in a Nutshell" and " A Brief History of Time" aren't at the top of astrophysicist's and cosmologist's list of recommended reading, I found them very informative albeit a little dry.
      [COLOR=#4b0082][B][SIZE=4][FONT=trebuchet ms]“If you think you can, or you can’t, you’re right.”
      -Henry Ford[/FONT][/SIZE][/B][/COLOR]

Comment

Here's a little more about Hawking...

Originally posted by Reuters
        Professor Stephen Hawking, one of the world's foremost physicists, is seriously ill and in hospital in Cambridge, Cambridge University said in a statement on Monday.

Hawking, who is wheelchair-bound and almost completely paralysed by a wasting illness, is a professor of applied mathematics. Here are some key facts on his life:

COMPUTER VOICE

* His voice -- generated by computer since throat surgery in 1985 -- is known the world over and he is sought for comment on virtually every major discovery in the worlds of physics, astronomy and cosmology. His voice and cartoon caricature has even appeared on cult U.S. comedy cartoon The Simpsons, with his approval.

INTERNATIONAL FAME

-- He shot to international fame after the 1988 publication of "A Brief History of Time" about the origins of the universe.

-- Since 1974 he has worked on marrying the two cornerstones of modern physics -- Albert Einstein's General Theory of Relativity, which concerns gravity and large-scale phenomena, and quantum theory, which covers subatomic particles.

TIME THEORY

-- As a result of this research, Hawking proposed a model of the universe based on two concepts of time: "real time," or time as human beings experience it, and "imaginary time," the time on which the world may really run.
        "The universe is self-contained, and without boundary, in imaginary time. However, in real time, the universe will appear to begin at the Big Bang," Hawking said, referring to the explosion thought to be at the origin of the universe.

* When asked whether God had a place in his work, Hawking said: "In a way, if we understand the universe, we are in the position of God."

LIFE DETAILS

-- Stephen William Hawking was born in January 1942 in London. He grew up in and around London.

-- After studying physics at Oxford University, Hawking had begun his first year of research work at Cambridge when he was diagnosed with motor neurone disease.

-- Hawking never expected to live long enough to complete his studies, and has been confined to his wheelchair since shortly after his 21st birthday by the wasting illness that deprives him of virtually all voluntary movement.

-- But the spread of the disease slowed and he met his first

wife Jane. "This gave me something to live for," he said.
        Click for source
        [COLOR=#4b0082][B][SIZE=4][FONT=trebuchet ms]“If you think you can, or you can’t, you’re right.”

Comment

Originally posted by Siggie View Post
          I'm surprised (given the title) this was more about the Armenian teacher. I think it's great that he's being recognized though.

Pepsi, how it is funny that Hawking is ill? "Heh."

Hawking's books, "The Universe in a Nutshell" and " A Brief History of Time" aren't at the top of astrophysicist's and cosmologist's list of recommended reading, I found them very informative albeit a little dry.
          It's not funny at all, it's funny that it's the first thing I saw on the computer today.
          Positive vibes, positive taught

Comment

I fail to see how that's funny either. As I've said several times already, stop posting for the sake of posting.

Comment

Originally posted by Siggie View Post
              That was my spin on the story. Dikran Tahta passed away a few years ago.

Stephen Hawking expected to recover: family
              "Nobody can give you freedom. Nobody can give you equality or justice or anything. If you're a man, you take it." ~Malcolm X

Comment

Well he's already lived much longer than anyone expected him to. I guess all good things must come to an end...

Comment

I was a classmate of Hawking's at St. Albans. He wasn't that much of a student- I always got higher marks than him. I remember when he was touring with Errol Morris for the informational film A Brief History of Time I got a surprise visit from him. I was shocked that he even remembered me. I invited him in to watch Red Dwarf, and he gladly accepted. While watching one of his favorite episodes of the science fiction serial, we discussed black holes and the nature of space and time.

I am deeply saddened by news of his illness. Let us hope for a full recovery.

Comment

He has an awful disease already. I hope he gets better.

As for the Armenian teacher...it shows that Turkey can tell people what to believe, but the best and brightest will still believe in the Armenian Genocide.
                    Last edited by hipeter924; 04-24-2009, 01:21 AM.

Comment

Working...
                    X