Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

Could Egypt inspire revolution in Azerbaijan?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Could Egypt inspire revolution in Azerbaijan?

This screenshot taken Thursday afternoon shows the Facebook page for 'Great People's Day in Azerbaijan.'

Azerbaijan arrests 'Facebook protest' activists

Thursday, March 10, 2011

BAKU - Agence France-Presse

Azerbaijan has arrested five young democracy activists for trying to organize a nationwide day of protest in the ex-Soviet state on the social networking site Facebook, an opposition party said Wednesday.

The "Great People's Day in Azerbaijan," which has been called for Friday, is an attempt by activists in the tightly controlled Muslim-majority country to latch on to the mood of revolt sweeping through the Arab world.

But authorities have emphasized that they will not tolerate even small-scale unsanctioned protests and have arrested leading activists on what the opposition claims are spurious charges.

"A campaign of young activists' arrests is under way. The authorities are using illegal methods to suppress the opposition," Isa Gambar, leader of the opposition Musavat party, told AFP.

He said five young activists, Baxtiyar Haciyev, Saxavat Soltanlı, Cabar Savalan, Dayanat Babayev, and Raşadat Axundov, have been arrested so far, under "ridiculous accusations of hooliganism," such as speaking loudly on the telephone in a public place.

Haciyev, who was sentenced on March 4 to one month in prison, has already been arrested twice in recent months.

Babayev, an activist from the opposition National Front party, was arrested on Monday, followed by the arrest of Soltanlı and independent activist Axundov on Tuesday.

Savalan was arrested in February in the city of Sumgayit for alleged possession of drugs.

Amnesty International has called on Azerbaijan to "stop this crackdown immediately and allow activists to organize peaceful protests."

In a statement issued after Haciyev's arrest, the U.S. ambassador to Azerbaijan, Matthew Bryza, said he would "continue to monitor closely this case and the cases of other recently arrested youth activists."

Azerbaijan's Turan news agency reported that Haciyev went on hunger strike and claimed he had been tortured in prison.

"They were twisting my arms, beating me with fists, insulting me," he said in a letter quoted by the agency.

Just before his first arrest, Haciyev stood as an independent candidate in parliamentary elections in November 2010, during which he criticized the Azerbaijani authorities and described the polls as rigged.

"[Baxtiyar Haciyev] has been continually harassed solely for peacefully expressing his views," said Amnesty International.

Western observers assessed the vote as flawed, but President İlham Aliyev's ruling party, which won a landslide victory, insisted that the election had "conformed to European standards."

Local media said Haciyev was listed as one of the creators of a Facebook page talking of a "people's revolution" in Azerbaijan.

The group's page on Facebook, the online social networking site used extensively in the revolt that toppled Egyptian President Hosni Mubarak, said, "We are on the road of democracy and intend to follow this road until the end."

Energy-rich Azerbaijan has been courted by foreign governments as a source of oil and gas supplies, but critics have accused the West of tempering criticism of rights abuses in order to safeguard their economic interests in the Caspian Sea state.

Masters of vast Caspian oil wealth, the Aliyev family has ruled Azerbaijan since 1993 when İlham Aliyev's father, Heydar, became president. Heydar Aliyev was succeeded by his son when he died in 2003.

Opposition critics accuse the Aliyev dynasty of rigging elections, crushing dissent, jailing opponents and stifling the media in the country of 8 million people.

Link

Comment

Originally posted by Federate View Post
      I have always wondered whether a revolution in Azerbaijan would be in Armenia's interests or do we prefer Azerbaijan remain a despotic, corrupt regime so it crumbles on itself. I tend to lean on supporting the latter, I simply don't see much benefit for Armenia from Azerbaijan turning more "democratic".
      The problem with authoritarian type states is that they tend to be plagued by high level corruption. Unrepresentative government is not ideal and maybe the Armenian kettle shouldn't call the Azeris pot black.

It's my understanding that the clerics in Azerbaijan are Iranics. Whilst some kind of Kurdish political class, lord over their "mentally challenged" Azeri slaves. Aliyev is a Kurd is he not?

Comment

Originally posted by retro View Post
        The problem with authoritarian type states is that they tend to be plagued by high level corruption. Unrepresentative government is not ideal and maybe the Armenian kettle shouldn't call the Azeris pot black.
        Precisely why I want Azerbaijan to remain as authoritarian as possible.
        Azerbaboon: 9.000 Google hits and counting!

Comment

Originally posted by Federate View Post
          Precisely why I want Azerbaijan to remain as authoritarian as possible.
          Whilst it's a mistake to go though life wishing ill upon your enemies. I see that Aliyev has been hobnobbing with other low life crooks.

The president and Andrew are said to be ‘close friends’ and Prince Andrew is oficially known as ‘the dear guest’ on his visits to the country.

A source told the Daily Mail: “They appear to have common interests and a shared sense of humour. Andrew is always laughing at Ilham’s jokes, which are usually about women.”

Paul Flynn, a Labour backbench MP, said: ‘The Royal Family has no business cultivating friendships with someone who has a record of being a

brutal autocrat. The dear friends of today can end up being the murderous dictators of tomorrow. Azerbaijan is a very primitive democracy that doesn’t recognise human rights.’ Meanwhile, Tory MP Andrew Rosindel defended the Duke of York.

"Azerbaijan is an oil-rich country which we could do an enormous amount of trade with," he said. “The fact that the Duke of York has built up strong relations with the leaders is a jolly good thing. I commend him for it and I think all he is doing is right.

“Azerbaijan is not a country with our standards of human rights but there are many countries like that that we trade with.”

read more:

Comment

Originally posted by retro View Post

It's my understanding that the clerics in Azerbaijan are Iranics. Whilst some kind of Kurdish political class, lord over their "mentally challenged" Azeri slaves. Aliyev is a Kurd is he not?

Are you implying that Armenia is an authoritarian state?
            For the first time in more than 600 years, Armenia is free and independent, and we are therefore obligated
            to place our national interests ahead of our personal gains or aspirations.

http://www.armenianhighland.com/main.html

Comment

Remember that Mutalibov supporters are still in Azerbaijan. Alievs can't stay in power that long, just because of barking at Armenians that loudly, things can be reversed during a week. Azeris are fed up with Ilham promises/barking and waiting until the Kharabakh issue is settled; they know that the Arthakh land is lost forever! Soon the Egyptian scenario will be staged there, too. The opposition is just waiting for a good "reason" to start. #11March is inevitable.
              Last edited by gegev; 03-10-2011, 08:32 PM.

Comment

In 1952 Egypt had it's glorious revolution. Sadat, Nassir, Salah Salem 'the dancing major" were the
                top celebrities. Om Kalsoum (you can spell her name many different versions)
                was the singer that was Nassir's favorite. He made sure his speeches
                on the radio always followed her singing. When all the citizens were listening.
                By the way, I am sure some here know this: her famous song became a
                unofficial anthem of Egyptians and in turn of other Arab nations as she toured
                doing her performances. Enta Omri is an example of one of her songs.
                She had many favorite songs, too many to mention here.
                On a song of hers,
                the mataphor of words went if I recall, words to the effect: Oh my hands that
                are bound behind me, oh that I wish they were free..."
                King Farouk was a corrupt ruler, (a branch of this family is originally cousins of the Turkish Ottoman
                rulers, but I assume everyone knows this!),
                the Egyptians did not like the British as they felt they were the real rulers.
                Sadat mentioned in his autobiography the way the British on motor bikes ran through his village
                Mit abel Kum, and how they treated the people.

Well, the Free Officer's Movement met. They planned it all brilliantly.
                This is the most famous Revolution that never shed any blood.
                They set the example.
                They gave a 21 gun salut to King Farouk and his group.
                (he went to Europe, naturally).

The military controlled everything in Egypt. Then Gamal Abdel Nassir became the
                ruler of Egypt. United Arab Republics. When he died there was a mass funeral
                of so many people, it was a quiet day.

Then came Anwar el-Sadat. You know the story, I hardly need to go into his history as
                head of the nation.

The military has always played a prominent role in Egyptian history.

I am not surprised in their position in the recent events.

I know someone will find a way to disagree with me.

Read the books: Anwar el-Sadat Autobiography, Revolt On The Nile (I had the first edition, hard to get now, and
                like a dummy, I gave it away....oh....)
                I[I know that my spelling is off].
                Last edited by Christina; 03-11-2011, 01:41 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by gegev View Post
                  Remember that Mutalibov supporters are still in Azerbaijan. Alievs can't stay in power that long, just because of barking at Armenians that loudly, things can be reversed during a week. Azeris are fed up with Ilham promises/barking and waiting until the Kharabakh issue is settled; they know that the Arthakh land is lost forever! Soon the Egyptian scenario will be staged there, too. The opposition is just waiting for a good "reason" to start. #11March is inevitable.
                  Yes to bad that this isn't in our interest, as long as Alijev can stay in power and steal money for the state he will not start a war. No one can guarantee that the revolutionaries will be better than Alijev they could be nationalists that are ready to attack Armenia. So I as an Armenian support Alijev as Sultan of Azerbaijan.

Comment

Originally posted by KarotheGreat View Post
                    Yes to bad that this isn't in our interest, as long as Alijev can stay in power and steal money for the state he will not start a war. No one can guarantee that the revolutionaries will be better than Alijev they could be nationalists that are ready to attack Armenia. So I as an Armenian support Alijev as Sultan of Azerbaijan.
                    I rather agree with this.

I wonder if Serge Sarkisyan could make an offer (off record !!), at one of the “get togethers”,
                    not to do anything that will undermine his regime as long as he “barks but not bites”.

They could even think of ways how to covertly support the regime in case of “difficulties”.

It sounds like a win win situation.
                    Politics is not about the pursuit of morality nor what's right or wrong
                    Its about self interest at personal and national level often at odds with the above.
                    Great politicians pursue the National interest and small politicians personal interests

Comment

Originally posted by Armanen View Post
                      Are you implying that Armenia is an authoritarian state?
                      Armenia, Russia and the Ukraine haven't transitioned properly towards parliamentary democracy and they are hardly very egalitarian societies. When power and wealth become centralised. It creates all sort of structural, socio-economic problems and what you don't want to end up living in is a corrupt, plutocratic society with a bloated public sector and little rule of law.

Mr. Tolosa pointed out two kinds of problems: structural problems Armenia had before, and problems that arose later. Low-rate improvement of business environment seriously affects the Armenian economy, Tolosa said.

However, Mr. Kapinos was not at all satisfied with the IMF official`s answer. He asked one more question about the root of the problems. One of the foreign guests said that the problem may be the lack of democracy in Armenia or Armenia`s failing to reject Soviet standards.

The IMF official said that Armenia will benefit from more balanced distribution of its resources.

Finally, Mr. Kapinos decided to answer is own questions. "The problems stem from the system formed in 1990s, namely, oligopoly," he said. Oligopolies are unlikely to come to an end themselves, so there is a need for external interference. The current system makes Armenia dependent on transfers and import. Mr. Kapinos arrived at the following conclusion: only programs envisaging system management reforms will change the situation in the country.

However, Mr. Tolosa did not like Mr. Kapinos` "revolutionary" appeals. There is no need for a revolution in Armenia, he said. The IMF is supporting the programs that will produce "evolutionary" results, Tolosa said. He reminded the participants of as rampant corruption in the United States in 1900s as it is in Armenia now.

http://news.am/eng/news/50972.html

Comment

Working...
                      X