Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

The Festival of Lights (Fête des Lumières)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Festival of Lights (Fête des Lumières)

The Festival of Lights - or "Fête des Lumières" - is a yearly event that happens in the French city of Lyon.

Let There Be Light in Lyon
    The City of Lyon, France, Celebrates Festival of Lights

December 6-9, 2001
    By Madelyn Miller

Traditional Feast of Illumination Transformed into Major Tourist Attraction

Festival of LightsNow is the time to plan your enlightening vacation to Lyon. Plan to be there for their world-class Festival of Lights. Make it a holiday present to yourself. And bring a great camera.

The City of Lyon, France, will take on a fairy-tale atmosphere from December 6-9, 2001, as it celebrates its second annual Festival of Lights. Each night, this historic city located at the confluence of the Rhône and Saône Rivers will be illuminated with a thousand brilliant, colorful, dynamic lights.

panoramaThe festival has its roots in the traditional Feast of Lights, celebrated on the 8th of December, which dates back to the 19th century. On that date in 1862, the people of Lyon first placed candles in their windows in honor of the statue of Mary erected on the Chapelle de Fourvière to give thanks to the Virgin for having held back the plague epidemic at the gates of their city. Last year, the traditional fête was transformed into a major four-day festival, which extends far beyond the local framework and is now a high point in the city's festive calendar. In 1999, more than 500,000 people participated in the first extended celebration, encouraging the city to expand this unique cultural event in 2000.

Lyon becomes the city of a thousand lights during December festival. Whether moving through the heart of the street entertainment on the 8th of December, sculpturally defining the city's buildings or drawing a nocturnal picture of the urban landscape, the illuminations of the Lyon Festival of Lights will be the center of unusual and enchanting festivities each night of the festival.

stock market buildingAll of the different techniques invented by man to utilize light, from torches to laser beams, will be celebrated during the festival. From the narrow streets of the historic Croix Rousse hill to the banks of the Rhône river, from the Fourvière tunnel to the Parc de Gerland, Lyon at night will celebrate light in all its forms: candles, illuminations, light signals, projected images and fireworks.

Illumination of the finest features of the city's architecture will be matched by dozens of festive light displays throughout the city. At the same time, permanent lighting on numerous public or private buildings will be inaugurated.

The highlight of the festival will be December 8th, with a spectacular light show on the Rhône River, live performances with light effects and activities in the surrounding area.

Lumière festival sheds new light on a historic city
    Pont BonaparteThe festival presents a fantastic opportunity for visitors to discover the one of the best-kept secrets in Europe. Lyon, France's second-largest city, was recently designated a UNESCO World Heritage City for its illustrious 2000-year history. Lyon is acknowledged as the culinary capital of France and is known for its many cultural events throughout the year. The past is still alive in such landmarks as the Gallo-Roman amphitheater, still used for concerts, the Croix-Rousse hill, center of the silk industry in the 1800s and a lively residential district today, and the largest Renaissance Quarter in Europe, still thriving with daily activity, from hotels to restaurants to shops.

Illumination expertise with a global influence
    In association with its industrial partners Electricité de France and Mat Electrique, Lyon City Council is extending its lighting program, which already includes more than 200 illuminated sites. Through the Festival of Lights, Lyon has extended the influence of its special illuminations on an international scale. It is now exporting its lumière skills to both Saint Petersburg and Havana.

Highlights of the program for the festival:
    * Light signal from the Tour de la Part Dieu.
    * Tour of the illuminated streets of the Croix Rousse hill.
    * Tour of the illuminations on the Rhône River.
    * Illumination and projection of images on the façade of the town hall.
    * Illumination and projection of images on the façade of the church of Saint Nizier and on the fountain in Place des Jacobins.
    * Illumination and projection of images on the façade of the Théâtre des Célestins.
    * Creation of decorative lights for street entertainment acts
    * Festive illumination:
    o Fourvière Basilica
    o Fountain of Lights
    o Cité Internationale
    o Hôtel de la Communauté
    o Point of confluence of the Rhône and Saône Rivers
    o Artist villages
    * Inauguration of permanent lighting on public and private buildings Other events:
    o Christmas market
    o Thematic symposiums
    o Exhibition
    o Temporary lighting effects

During the day, you can dine on gourmet cuisine at very affordable prices as you discuss your plans for the next evening and great light sightings.

A good way to get a complete package for this event is "Week-end Lyon Découverte" which is sold by the Office of Tourism . (It is actually available every weekend-so if you can't make the festival dates there are still lots of great reasons to visit Lyon.)

This package includes :
    * 2 nights at a 2, 3 or 4 stars hotel
    * 1 city pass "Lyon City Card" which gives free entries in the 19 museums of the city, free transports, access to the guided visites
    * 1 lunch in a bouchon lyonnais "Chez Chabert et Fils"

The first price for this package is 690 French Francs, about $92,5 (I took the conversion : 1 US dollar is about 7.48 French Francs), this price is based on a 2-star hotel.

This package is sold on the internet site of the Office of Tourisme.

FOR MORE INFORMATION

Information desk tel: (33) 4 72 77 69 69.
    City of Lyon, Mayor's Office: 011 33 08-2508-1515 (approximately $1 for 6 minutes, and they speak English)

Websites:
    Lyon Office of Tourism
    Official site of the City of Lyon

GREAT GUIDEBOOKS

Encore Provence
    By Peter Mayle
    Author of A Year in Provence
    Alfred A. Knopf
    This is the book every writer wishes they had written. Read it before you go.

Escape to Provence
    By Nancy Coons
    Photos by Owen Franken
    Fodor's
    If you can't decide about going to France, one look at this book and you will buy your ticket. Gorgeous photos. Great insights.

Discover France
    By Jack Altman
    Berlitz
    Great photography

Eyewitness France
    Eyewitness Travel Guides
    Dorling Kindersley
    I love this series because of their very visual organization. Great photos, helpful maps, and extremely well organized.

On the Road Around the South of France
    Edited by Melissa Shales
    Passport Books
    A Thomas Cook Touring Handbook

Karen Brown's French Country Inns and Iteneraries
    Karen Brown's Country Inn Series
    Charming hotels, maps and driving itineraries to guide you through the glorious French countryside.

Provence Pocket Guide
    Berlitz
    Handy size is easy to use

Copyright 1995-2007 TravelLady Magazine

What if I find someone else when looking for you? My soul shivers as the idea invades my mind.

Re: The Festival of Lights (Fête des Lumières)

L'Hôtel de ville

L'Eglise St. Nizier
    What if I find someone else when looking for you? My soul shivers as the idea invades my mind.

Comment

Comment

Comment

Very beautiful I must say. But why does it say 2001?
          Achkerov kute.

Comment

Originally posted by Anonymouse View Post
            The article is old, but the festival is a yearly event. As for the photos, they're not necessarily dated Dec. 2007.
            When time will allow, I will try to post more pictures.

Comment

Originally posted by Anonymouse View Post
              Very surprising. I was expecting a comment about Algerians or Moroccans.

Comment

Originally posted by TomServo View Post
                Very surprising. I was expecting a comment about Algerians or Moroccans.
                Very Surprising. I was expecting images about Algerians or Moroccans.

Last edited by Siamanto; 01-04-2008, 10:19 PM.

Comment

Working...
                X