Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

Armenian Futbol

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Armenian Futbol

One of my biggest dreams is to see the Armenian Futbol (soccer) team to be considered as a force to be reckoned with. Maybe not on par with the Englands and Brazils, but strong enough to be in the top 30, with Romania, Croatia, yevayln.

Well, I have always believed we have the talent, and all we are lacking are enough games to get experience and ranking points. Armenia is proving me right. The National team finished 4th in a group of 5, behind Greece, Spain and Ukraine, but maaany analysts were amazed by the quality of our play, and considered Armenia to become a threat pretty soon.

Now, where things are looking really bright are our showings in the European Under-17 year old and Under-19 year old championships. Armenia took the first place of its group in the first qualifying rounds, edging out France, Bosnia, and Ukraine in the under-19, and a very strong group of Netherlands, Serbia and Bulgaria in the under-17.

If any of you follow armenian futbol, keep the name of 16-17 year old Edgar Manucharyan in mind. He scored all 4 of Armenia's goals against Bulgaria today, and is already a fan favourite in armenian league's FC Pyunik (yep, he already made the team, although he is still a sub, playing 15-20 minutes a game, although that should change pretty soon).

So, how many of you (I'm hoping some of you actually care about this) think that Armenian futbol will climb back up the ranks of respectability? (Remember, Armenian futbol was quite strong in the 70's, with the Ararat team and all.)

Baronchik, Agh memories! I still remember watching Ararat with my father and him screaming at the top of lungs “GOAAAAAL!!!” or “ARA, INCHEN ANUM, VAY!” taking an occasional break to sip some Armenian bear and take a puff from his unfiltered cigarettes. Soccer was a huge emotional event then. There was also an obsession with Diego Maradona.

Vonts karotumem mankutyunes.

Comment

Yes, futbol-mania in Armenia is craaaazy. When I was there, we were going to assist a match between our champs Pyunik, and Iceland's champs Rejkjavik for the Champs' League qualifications. Futbol games are free in Armenia, in order to let everyone see a game. Well, some members of our group were walking too slow, and by the time we got there, the place was paaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaacked with cops trying to close the gates as people were still running in. Mind you, this was the Hanrapetakan Stadium, with a capacity of about 18 000, and not the Hrazdan Stadium, which is under renovation and can hold around 73 000 people. It was still amazing to see the passion towards futbol, and not making it to that game was one of the greatest deceptions I ever had. I watched the game on TV with a Hayastantsi friend, and he was surprised by my knowledge of the team (even though I had never seen a game). And of course, the words we were both screaming, especially when one of ours missed a penalty shot, which shall remain censored.

In the end though, Pyunik won the game 1-0, and went on to have a draw in Rejkjavik, and advanced to the second round. They then lost to CSKA Sofia I think, of Bulgaria. But as I said, our youth team beat the Bulgarian team 4-1 today, so we'll call it even It would've been strange if we had beat Sofia though, as Pyunik's next opponent would then be Galatasaray....of the Turkish League. Another time I guess..

Comment

Football mania is crazy all over Europe. It’s like baseball here (especially in New York). I have to say that I will never understand the beauty of baseball. I went once and was bored out of my mind. Nothing like watching soccer, where it’s an incredible skill of the body balance and teamwork.

I would have loved to attend one of the soccer games in Armenia, especially in Hanrapetakan Stadium.

Comment

Originally posted by Baron Dants
          Yes, futbol-mania in Armenia is craaaazy. When I was there, we were going to assist a match between our champs Pyunik, and Iceland's champs Rejkjavik for the Champs' League qualifications. Futbol games are free in Armenia, in order to let everyone see a game. Well, some members of our group were walking too slow, and by the time we got there, the place was paaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaacked with cops trying to close the gates as people were still running in. Mind you, this was the Hanrapetakan Stadium, with a capacity of about 18 000, and not the Hrazdan Stadium, which is under renovation and can hold around 73 000 people. It was still amazing to see the passion towards futbol, and not making it to that game was one of the greatest deceptions I ever had. I watched the game on TV with a Hayastantsi friend, and he was surprised by my knowledge of the team (even though I had never seen a game). And of course, the words we were both screaming, especially when one of ours missed a penalty shot, which shall remain censored.

In the end though, Pyunik won the game 1-0, and went on to have a draw in Rejkjavik, and advanced to the second round. They then lost to CSKA Sofia I think, of Bulgaria. But as I said, our youth team beat the Bulgarian team 4-1 today, so we'll call it even It would've been strange if we had beat Sofia though, as Pyunik's next opponent would then be Galatasaray....of the Turkish League. Another time I guess..

When I went to Armenia we went to that staduim. It was awesome. I think I have some pictures I will try to find and post here. I love soccer. It's the best sport really. When Ararat came to the US, and california, in the late 80's my mom helped get them to hotels and did mini-management of the team and so I got to tag along with the players to Palm Springs and wherever else they went then carry the armenian flag at the opening of the games. I loved that time sooo much, i loved all the armenian players, i was like 9-10-11 and i think i had a crush on every one of them. Ahhh memories. Sniffle. I look at my Ararat hat with all their signatures kindof faded because my mom washed the hat the night the whole team signed it, and i get a little sniffle. *sniffle*
          Last edited by ckBejug; 10-28-2003, 11:31 PM.
          The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposing ideas in mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function. -- F. Scott Fitzgerald

Comment

our present team doesnt have too much talent i have to admit baron. basically all we got right now are petrossian and the two twins whose names i forget. and of course berezovsky is a very good goaly but there is not an outpouring of talent on the national team but our U21 team did pretty bad at euro cup and concerning U17 and U19 yes they did good but it will be ay least 3 years until any of these players start playing. I think the team has potential if they train harder and are more dedicated to the sport, in terms of the national league and clubs i dont see the situation improving because everytime a player starts doing good and playing at a good international level they decide that thay are gonna go off and join a team in the greek, ukrainian, russian or this or that national league, so even though some good players come out of armenia they dont stay to raise the professionalism level of the Armenian Premier League. Needless to say i love footbol and i wish Armenia was the best team in the world but give it at least another 5 years.

Comment

Brazilia's team is the best

Comment

Originally posted by TigranJamharian
                our present team doesnt have too much talent i have to admit baron. basically all we got right now are petrossian and the two twins whose names i forget. and of course berezovsky is a very good goaly but there is not an outpouring of talent on the national team but our U21 team did pretty bad at euro cup and concerning U17 and U19 yes they did good but it will be ay least 3 years until any of these players start playing. I think the team has potential if they train harder and are more dedicated to the sport, in terms of the national league and clubs i dont see the situation improving because everytime a player starts doing good and playing at a good international level they decide that thay are gonna go off and join a team in the greek, ukrainian, russian or this or that national league, so even though some good players come out of armenia they dont stay to raise the professionalism level of the Armenian Premier League. Needless to say i love footbol and i wish Armenia was the best team in the world but give it at least another 5 years.
                Of course we have to give it at least another 5 years. I'm not pretending that starting tomorrow, Armenia will be THE team to beat. What I was saying is that, due to the recent successes of our youth team, the future looks bright.

The twins are Aram and Artavazd Karamyan, by the way. Also, management should maybe take a longer look at Ara Hakobyan, who played in the Ukrainian league, but came back to Armenia for a while because of tensions with the manager.
                http://www.uefa.com/Magazine/news/Ki...Id=117347.html

Anywho, the new coach, Stoichita, seems to be doing a good job, and we can only hope that they get more friendlies to keep in shape.

Also, for the time being, I believe that our best players playing abroad is a good thing, as they will be faced with more serious competition, and will be readier when they play for the National team. Of course, we all hope that eventually, our Premier League will also be stronger, but that could take even longer.
                Last edited by xBaron Dants; 10-29-2003, 09:23 AM.

Comment

For what its worth, and for those of you that remember the Armenian player Levon Ishtoyan, he is my relative.
                  Achkerov kute.

Comment

ararat 73' right? thats pretty cool. how are you related to him?

Comment

Working...
                    X