Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

The Arts & Theatre

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Arts & Theatre

The new Walt Disney Concert Hall in LA,

In Progress:

All Done! Wow.

Inside. Wow.

I love all things, art, mucis, and theatre, so I thought I'd share new pix of the new home of the LA Philharmonic. I personally think the SF Phil gives a better show, but as I live in LA I have more experience going to concerts here, and I can't wait to go to some at the new concert hall.

(I will write on Theatre the next chance I get to come online... )
    The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposing ideas in mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function. -- F. Scott Fitzgerald

It's realy beautifull

Comment

The new design is futuristic, and looks good in my opinion.

The "new" Getty museum is ok. I haven't been to the "new" Getty in a while, I hope the lines have died down. Waiting 20 minutes for the tram wasn't fun.
      The "old" Getty museum had that beautiful pool with the walkways. To bad they closed it, but it will house the Getty collection of antiquities.
      If the Getty ever hosts an exhibit featuring Hieronymous Bosch, especially his painting "Garden of Earthly Delights," I'd be in heaven.

As far as musicals, I want to see "The Producers" before they leave town, but alas I don't think my schedule will allow.
      Oh well, maybe one day.

Emil

Comment

Originally posted by Emil

The "old" Getty museum had that beautiful pool with the walkways. To bad they closed it, but it will house the Getty collection of antiquities.
        If the Getty ever hosts an exhibit featuring Hieronymous Bosch, especially his painting "Garden of Earthly Delights," I'd be in heaven.

As far as musicals, I want to see "The Producers" before they leave town, but alas I don't think my schedule will allow.
        Oh well, maybe one day.

Emil
        they closed the pool area? Hmm, I have to go see what they have to the place since last I went 5 years ago. I've been to the other Getty museum a couple of times lately, I like the gardens, but I hear they're nothing compared to the one's at the Huntington library. I work in Pasadena, you'd think I would have time to go after work, but like you said time is never enough to do everything we want to do.

I don't know if I have ever seen Bosch's "Garden of Earthly Delights" probably i've seen a replica somewhere, but it sounds lovely, just by its name, so i am curious to know what it looks like. i guess i will just have to appease my curiousity with some online copy...

as for the producers, it was funny, but I don't know if the pricetag for seeing it is really worth it. I went for my birthday so I didn't pay for it, but 90-something dollars seems a pity, as it was hyped up to be funnier than it was. Perhaps those in New York sing a different tune and I might have too had I seen nathan lane and matthew brodericks performances. Sure jason alexander has quite an 'enchanting'/funny-talented stage-presence, but still....

damn, sometimes i wish i lived in new york above all reasons because i want to see like every broadway play that there ever was and even 90% of the off-broadway plays. This broadway-LA thing doesn't do it for me...

Phantom of the opera is back though and I am going to see it come december. I shall tell you all how it is. Les mis was playing too a year or two ago and i missed it, *sniffle*

anyway. that's my 2 cents...
        The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposing ideas in mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function. -- F. Scott Fitzgerald

Comment

Originally posted by ckBejug
          Perhaps those in New York sing a different tune
          haha, i made a joke without even realizing it. sing a tune when talking about a musical. silly me! hehe

Comment

Originally posted by ckBejug
            I don't know if I have ever seen Bosch's "Garden of Earthly Delights" probably i've seen a replica somewhere, but it sounds lovely, just by its name, so i am curious to know what it looks like. i guess i will just have to appease my curiousity with some online copy...
            It's an awesome painting. All of his paintings are great. I have a 24x36 reproduction of "Garden of Earthly Delights" on my wall. The original is in the Prado in Madrid, a 3 panel painting, if you stand in front of it for 4 hours that's still not enough time to take it all in. http://www.spanisharts.com/prado/bosco/delicias.htm

I also have "Nighthawks" by Edward Hopper in my room.

as for the producers, it was funny, but I don't know if the pricetag for seeing it is really worth it. I went for my birthday so I didn't pay for it, but 90-something dollars seems a pity, as it was hyped up to be funnier than it was. Perhaps those in New York sing a different tune and I might have too had I seen nathan lane and matthew brodericks performances. Sure jason alexander has quite an 'enchanting'/funny-talented stage-presence, but still....
            I thought it would be better than you described, maybe it's good I don't see it.

Phantom of the opera is back though and I am going to see it come december. I shall tell you all how it is. Les mis was playing too a year or two ago and i missed it, *sniffle*

anyway. that's my 2 cents... [/B]
            My mom, her b/f and my sister are going to see the Phantom in March of 04, I am still debating to go or not to go. That is the question.

Emil

Comment

I'm not being a smart ass or anything...
              but this is a building...
              you're supposed to be amazed at its ARCHITECTURE!
              that's right...
              imagination + design + structure
              and just so you know... a theatre is a settings for DRAMATIC events or performances...
              Frank Gehry's building is a Concert hall...

no hard feelings... it's just that you've posted images of a building refering to it as art (ok) , music? and theatre?

Comment

ok sweetie. i know you're a little slow, like this ---> but bear with me. a c-o-n-c-e-r-t h-a-l-l is somewhere where M-U-S-I-C-A-L performances are done.

second of all, don't be retarded, I never said anything about the plays/musicals being at the disney concert hall, that was just another idea in my head about how i love theatre and i didnt want to make THREE different threads. i talked about art theatre and music all in one thread. oy, are you slow today? just because i used one thread doesnt mean i meant all of it went on at the concert hall. yes jahannam and the getty museum is inside the concert hall too, right next to the huntington library

and third of all, we've already discussed the architectural significance of the disney concert hall. i was just exclaiming about how i can't wait to see the la phil perform there.

kich me gamants garta yev medadze pan me chi kerelet

Comment

Wow, now all it takes for one fire to bring that all down.

Amazing how things work. Fun isn't it?
                  Achkerov kute.

Comment

Originally posted by Anonymouse
                    Wow, now all it takes for one fire to bring that all down.

Amazing how things work. Fun isn't it?
                    actually it's VERY fire retardant. is that the right way to say it? it would take dante's inferno to bring that sucker down. it is made entirely of steel. so you and your pyro-tendencies try burning down something else. by the by, where were YOU when the three fires started??

Comment

Working...
                    X