Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

Europe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Europe

just out of curiosity guys, how many of you consider Armenia to be part of Europe. I personally do.

Eh, it's the kind of a question that never seems to get answered.
    Technically, the borders of Europe to the east are defined as the Oural Mountains in Russia, as well as the Caucasus mountain range. Armenia is of course right on the Caucasus mountains, so its situation is kind of blurry. Is the range included in Europe, or not? Not too many people seem to know.

Politically, Armenia is part of the Council of Europe, and the government (especially Osganian) has made it clear that it eventually wants to join the European Union.

Less important is the fact that in the world of futbol, Armenia is in the European League.

Ooremn, draw your own conclusions.

Personally, I want Armenia to have the European standards of life, but keep that joy of living that is typically Armenian.

Comment

This leads me to an interesting question, something we learned in my History course by the world reknowned professor Patrick Geary.

What is Europe? Then again, what is a continent in strictly geographical terms?
      Achkerov kute.

Comment

well i dont mean strictly geographicly. baron you made a good point that we are in a lot of european organizations. but i also mean our culture do you guys think it is more of eastern or a western culture. i think it is a blend leaning more to the west.

Comment

As far as values and culture go, I think most people would agree that Armenia is much closer to European countries, rather than Asian.

Christianity is also a factor, as Armenia shares it with the rest of Europe, and has participated. along with Europeans, in the Crusades. We even had a French king named Léon who became Levon (who I think was the last king of Cilician Armenia).

Comment

Originally posted by TigranJamharian well i dont mean strictly geographicly. baron you made a good point that we are in a lot of european organizations. but i also mean our culture do you guys think it is more of eastern or a western culture. i think it is a blend leaning more to the west.
            You see I'm studying Armenian history now and Armenians historically have tried to maintain themselves by tipping between East and West.

Throughout the Acheamenian Empire, and the Parthian Empire, etc., Armenians were more or less under the Persian cultural sphere, even though occasionally tipping West towards Rome, but it was back and forth.

After adopting Christianity, they let go of that Eastern past and were identified more along western lines. It helped alienate them from their eastern past.

But Armenians, being the resilient ones they are, have absorbed eastern and western influences and I think this is precisely what has led them to grow, and reach creative ends, and survive.

As far as 'Europe', you see it is just a eurocentric creation, since it is not a continent, as defined by strictly geographical terms. It was called Eurasia, but one can see that as Europeans moved into the era of nationalism they desired seperation from their "Asian" counterparts. Europe is strictly a creation by Europe, as well as the idea of nations or nationalism, since prior to the enlightenment there was no idea of 'nation' or 'nationalism' among peoples of the world.
            Achkerov kute.

Comment

Originally posted by Baron Dants As far as values and culture go, I think most people would agree that Armenia is much closer to European countries, rather than Asian.

Christianity is also a factor, as Armenia shares it with the rest of Europe, and has participated. along with Europeans, in the Crusades. We even had a French king named Léon who became Levon (who I think was the last king of Cilician Armenia).
              I'm gonna have to disagree with the culture being more western...
              Armenian traditional music, arts and crafts, food, costumes are all closer to eastern than western...
              except for christianity I think Armenia's Asian...
              it just sounds cooler to say we're "a part of Europe"...
              just as Turkey's been "a european country wannabe" lately...
              since geographically these countries are in the middle, this continent thing is always gonna be an issue...

Comment

Europe is not a continent.

When will be people stop clinging to this eurocentric viewpoint?
                Achkerov kute.

Comment

when will you stop puttin up pictures of retarded people as your icons.

Comment

Originally posted by jahannam I'm gonna have to disagree with the culture being more western...
                    Armenian traditional music, arts and crafts, food, costumes are all closer to eastern than western...
                    I agree. Our traditions are exclusively eastern. What do you consider Western and Eastern traditions, to begin with? It would be nice to clarify before you cast your judgment. Certain nations in the east are quite industrialized and successful, so that alone holds not much relevance to the establishment of country’s geographic status. Although I think that Armenia is slowly gearing towards more of European standards, it might take a few centuries but nonetheless.

Comment

Working...
                    X