Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

where from

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Anonymouse noun: the conviction that the culture and interests of your nation are superior to those of any other nation
    noun: love of country and willingness to sacrifice for it

You can still love your culture, and people have thousands of years prior to the idea of nationalism which is consonant with CENTRAL GOVERNMENTS that rose out of 19th century.

You can either accept it for what its worth or continue insisting that somehow nationalism has provided all these wonderful things for culture.
    Anon, this is my last post regarding this issue, since I feel that it has no relevance to this thread and is going of on a completely different tangent, and to preserve the original intent of this thread perhaps it’s best to make this into a separate thread that deals with this issue at hand.

Sometimes I feel like you disagree for the sake of disagreeing, obviously you tend to single out a selective portion of the message an individual is trying to convey to be able to create some sort of contradiction.

Once again let us redefine the term nationalism which was precisely what I have mentioned before and I don’t wish to argue on this any further, since once again you might filter some information and retrieve a certain fraction to construct a platform of contradiction.

Nationalism is usually used to describe 2 concepts:

1) the attitude that the members of a nation have when they care about their national identity. That encompasses common origin, ethnicity, or cultural ties and while an individuals membership in a nation is often regarded as involuntary, it is sometimes regarded as voluntary.

2) the actions that the members of a nation take when seeking to achieve some form of political sovereignty.
    “ a nation often consists of an ethnic or cultural community, a state is a political entity with a high degree of sovereignty.”

Nationalism my dear, is a sense of belonging together as a nation. It also includes such feelings as loyalty to the nation, pride in it’s culture and history, and in many cases a desire for national independence. The “condition” that is also embedded in your own doctrines, whether you chose to resent it or not. While you have a tendency to always look at things from a point of view of a cynic, I should remind you that any theory or philosophy has a negative and a positive track, you chose to always view things one sided that gears more towards pessimism. I specifically stated that although nationalism has often been a cause of historical blood shed, one must not discredit it’s contribution to cultures in terms of literature, art, food and customs, which is clearly evident in the Armenian culture. Nationalism is reflected in every aspect of our culture, and if you deny this reasoning than once again I will come to a conclusion that you are simply filtering information to ignite an argument through distorting the concept that is inclusive of your theory as well.

Comment

Originally posted by anileve Anon, this is my last post regarding this issue, since I feel that it has no relevance to this thread and is going of on a completely different tangent, and to preserve the original intent of this thread perhaps it’s best to make this into a separate thread that deals with this issue at hand.

Sometimes I feel like you disagree for the sake of disagreeing, obviously you tend to single out a selective portion of the message an individual is trying to convey to be able to create some sort of contradiction.

Once again let us redefine the term nationalism which was precisely what I have mentioned before and I don’t wish to argue on this any further, since once again you might filter some information and retrieve a certain fraction to construct a platform of contradiction.

Nationalism is usually used to describe 2 concepts:

1) the attitude that the members of a nation have when they care about their national identity. That encompasses common origin, ethnicity, or cultural ties and while an individuals membership in a nation is often regarded as involuntary, it is sometimes regarded as voluntary.

2) the actions that the members of a nation take when seeking to achieve some form of political sovereignty.
      “ a nation often consists of an ethnic or cultural community, a state is a political entity with a high degree of sovereignty.”

Nationalism my dear, is a sense of belonging together as a nation. It also includes such feelings as loyalty to the nation, pride in it’s culture and history, and in many cases a desire for national independence. The “condition” that is also embedded in your own doctrines, whether you chose to resent it or not. While you have a tendency to always look at things from a point of view of a cynic, I should remind you that any theory or philosophy has a negative and a positive track, you chose to always view things one sided that gears more towards pessimism. I specifically stated that although nationalism has often been a cause of historical blood shed, one must not discredit it’s contribution to cultures in terms of literature, art, food and customs, which is clearly evident in the Armenian culture. Nationalism is reflected in every aspect of our culture, and if you deny this reasoning than once again I will come to a conclusion that you are simply filtering information to ignite an argument through distorting the concept that is inclusive of your theory as well.
      Nationalism and nations are a myth. I'm tired of getting into this discussion with people who can't see beyond what they want to see.
      Achkerov kute.

Comment

Originally posted by Anonymouse I'm tired of getting into this discussion with people who can't see beyond what they want to see.
        I know what you mean, Anon!

Comment

You should since you make the mistake of trying to assign nationalism to people prior to the inception of what we know as "nationalism" in the 19th century.

That right there is your blunder.
          Achkerov kute.

Comment

Originally posted by Anonymouse You should since you make the mistake of trying to assign nationalism to people prior to the inception of what we know as "nationalism" in the 19th century.

That right there is your blunder.
            Please refer to my post above.

And no one was arguing with you, I was simply including both concepts in the definition, you seem to be obsessed with one in particular, which is fine, but what exactly are you arguing? I've included your theory in the definition. Besides "nationalism" was not fabricated by me, it was invented long before you and I and the concepts were cemented.

I am not taking a stand on whether I favor Nationalism or not, I am simply stating the concepts. You somehow turn it into more of a subjective issue. I personally try to stay clear of nationalism. What shall you choose to disagree with me on now? Please look closely and try to read between the lines and overanalyze, with a cynical approach preferably...!

Comment

Originally posted by anileve Nationalism my dear, is a sense of belonging together as a nation. It also includes such feelings as loyalty to the nation, pride in it’s culture and history, and in many cases a desire for national independence. The “condition” that is also embedded in your own doctrines, whether you chose to resent it or not. While you have a tendency to always look at things from a point of view of a cynic, I should remind you that any theory or philosophy has a negative and a positive track, you chose to always view things one sided that gears more towards pessimism. I specifically stated that although nationalism has often been a cause of historical blood shed, one must not discredit it’s contribution to cultures in terms of literature, art, food and customs, which is clearly evident in the Armenian culture. Nationalism is reflected in every aspect of our culture, and if you deny this reasoning than once again I will come to a conclusion that you are simply filtering information to ignite an argument through distorting the concept that is inclusive of your theory as well.
              This is where I disagree with you, not where you define things. You assume I look at things from a "pessimisstic" point of view because why? I disagree that nationalism contributes to culture? Yes, most definitely nationalism provides too much pride in culture since it is based on exclusionist principles. I am not 'distorting' anything, in fact it is you who is 'distorting' perhaps unconsciously, that nationalism to be something it is not, sort of giving a noble ring to it. No one denies it is the foremost ideology in independence movements, but why? These 'independence movements' have no choice since they themselves are seceding from a 'nation state', they themselves must set up one, albeit on false premises, just like the party they are gaining 'independence' from.

Culture has existed prior to nationalism, therefore whether you have nationalism or not has no bearing. Only now do we define nationalism as 'including culture' since this gives the nationalists a sense of correction, since now they can include 'culture' within the framework of nationalism, they can point to any time in history and say 'Wooop look at that we have nationalism since we have culture there'. Nationalism is only designed as a political system to go hand in hand with the concept of 'nation' or 'nation-state' which is a relatively modern creation and ever since its creation human destruction has reached exponenets unimaginable in the past, like a domino effect, spread from Germany, and now encompasses the whole globe. By that token, I am not arguing for "going back to the past". I am merely pointing out the political system for what it is, a political system.

'Nationalism' hasn't contributed to Armenian culture, or any culture for that matter, it is and always has been the individuals that have made up the culture and have contributed to it. How a political system can contribute to anything is beyond me, maybe you can enlighten me. I don't see how that makes any relevance to what you are talking about, merely jammering about it because it has to be so.

'Nationalism' is in every part of our culture you say? So you are implying that without nationalism culture cannot exist, and with that I disagree. The only thing nationalism does is create a prism thru which we view all history and make ourselves believe that culture has always been a part of it, when in fact, it is nationalism that has been a part of culture, and only for the past 2 centuries or so.

If you care to view my thread on the "Armenian nation" in the history section you will see how your whole argument here pertains to the root of it, the nation, and how that itself is a myth.
              Achkerov kute.

Comment

Baron, yes i have i was there last year it is simply too good for words. I miss it there, i spent the best days of my childhood over there at my grandmas house, i still remember Peroshyani skizbe where you can smell the xorovats all the way from your house.

Comment

Working...
                X