Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

Armenian traditions.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Anonymouse Why is that again? When someone dies no more Christmas tree?

I thought it was for 40 days or something?
    I don't know the christmas tree thing. If a person dies that year, we don't put a christmas tree. My little cousin died in March of 02, we didn't have a christmas tree that year. So I guess the 40 day thing is the wearing black?

Comment

we didnt put a christmas tree up the year Armenia had its major earthquake.

as far as the 40 days of none shaving- its not an armenian tradition, its more of a middle eastern thing, we are indo europeans, it doesnt mean you have to go without shaving for 40 days and look like a hairy ape, its pretty hethamenats and pointless

as for the 40 day thing after a person has passed away, armenians (the apostolic church of armenia) believes that the soul walks(stays around) the earth for 40 days before decending into the heavens. It visits its loved ones etc. That is why they have a (Karasunk), meaning the 40 days are up, and they have a dinner with family members remembering and honoring the person who has died, marking the day that the soul reaches heaven. Usually the widow, or widdower wears black for a year after there spowse has died.

as for the 40 days for babies, most armenians dont take the new born child outside for 40 days , its a religious tradition, but im sure some wise man made it apart of the religion for dumb society to be guided using religion to control people, but as we know it, its for health reasons, not exposing the child to bacteria from outside etc. not letting a lot of people kiss the child......etc

all this crap with wearing black for a year for widdowers and widows, and all these stupid traditions are nothing but a show. You can remember the person who has passed away and respect them, but it takes it to the extrem when you have to fallow stupid hethamenats traditions or rules. A person should heal and morn but not make there life any more miserable, the death is misery enough, we dont need to add more pain and moarning

it doesnt do anything but keep us down.

sometimes i feel as if we are stepping back instead of advancing in the world, for all our stupid petty traditions that keep us from being more modern and open minded.
      Last edited by whitelotus; 12-26-2003, 10:58 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by whitelotus we didnt put a christmas tree up the year Armenia had its major earthquake.

as far as the 40 days of none shaving- its not an armenian tradition, its more of a middle eastern thing, we are indo europeans, it doesnt mean you have to go without shaving for 40 days and look like a hairy ape, its pretty hethamenats and pointless

as for the 40 day thing after a person has passed away, armenians (the apostolic church of armenia) believes that the soul walks(stays around) the earth for 40 days before decending into the heavens. It visits its loved ones etc. That is why they have a (Karasunk), meaning the 40 days are up, and they have a dinner with family members remembering and honoring the person who has died, marking the day that the soul reaches heaven. Usually the widow, or widdower wears black for a year after there spowse has died.

as for the 40 days for babies, most armenians dont take the new born child outside for 40 days , for health reasons, not exposing the child to bacteria from outside etc. not letting a lot of people kiss the child......etc

all this crap with wearing black for a year for widdowers and widows, and all these stupid traditions are nothing but a show. You can remember the person who has passed away and respect them, but it takes it to the extrem when you have to fallow stupid hethamenats traditions or rules. A person should heal and morn but not make there life any more miserable, the death is misery enough, we dont need to add more pain and moarning

it doesnt nothing but keep us down.
        Nice post lotus, very well written, especially the last paragraph.

Comment

why thankyou mr emil, i also added more, and eddited some stupid typos i made :P

i often think something in my head, and when i type it out, i go back and read it, and its a bunch of ramblings that dont make sense :P

im such a dork

Comment

Well, when my father passed away recently...we didn't do most of the conventional armenian things....As soon as my mom saw my brothers trying not to shave...she told them that if they don't, they are not welcomed in her house. I don't like that one. We did, however, wear black for 40 days. That tradition is notttttttttt about SHOW. It's been around long before ARMOS knew what show meant. As Whitelotus said, about the spirit being in the house for 40 days....the wearing of black plays along with that. When people die, they don't quite know that they are there, which is why the spirit lingers. We wear black, don't watch TV, basically don't do all the normal things we did before, because we don't want the spirit to think it's still alive and linger in the house. We want the spirit to move on, thinking that it's not his/her house, until the 40 days are passed.

These things might sounds stupid, but who's to say that none of the other traditions, like lighting candles, are right or wrong...Lighting candle for WHAT? Are u making a frikkin wish? LOL That's against the Bible...The Armenian church is so money hungry that they will do ANYTHING (even sell guns downstairs to minors) for a buck....BBBUT we're not gonna go there, since this is about tradition.

If we don't keep our traditions alive, what are our kids gonna do? What is going to set them apart from the rest? Humm...I tend to keep my traditions as much as I can....the normal ones at least....

Comment

When we had my older brothers wedding the tradition in our family is.. 1) long limo 2) three or four armenian singers 3) the most important is the kavor 4) dzol zorna 5) half the people are dancing until they pass out the other half are drinking until they pass out. When my brother passed away my dad didn't shave for 40 days, I didn't go out with any of my friends for a year...etc...

Comment

Some traditions i believe to be completely outragous and meaningless, yet others are just things that have been done around your family like that for so long you dont know otherwise! I believe in keeping traditions because you need some of them to remind you where you came from and who you are! So 50 years from now when your parents are gone (too too too) and you have kids of your own, you can teach them these traditions and say your grandma and grandpa usto do this with us or whatever..... And it will go one like this and years and decades and centuries from now these traditions will stay in your family!

Comment

yes i agree with wearing black, its respectful, and there are many reasons for which we do it.

but see, what i dont like are the dumb ones like not shaving, Its not going to change anything, it has no big meaning for it, big deal im not shaving my hair, so im respecting someone by doing that ? how dumb does it look and sound.

if i died, i would want people to put white flowers on my casket, and wear white at my funeral, Its a celebration of my new life to come, as i believe it. So there is no reason to morn :P

my beliefs are different from most traditional armenian beliefs that tie into our apostolic church.

but you are right, some traditions are worth continueing, because its apart of who we are, and also reasons for us to live everyday for and for our children.

my comments were directed to stupid traditions that are pointless, and a waste of time, not toward those that hold value and good meaning to.

Comment

Originally posted by whitelotus yes i agree with wearing black, its respectful, and there are many reasons for which we do it.

but see, what i dont like are the dumb ones like not shaving, Its not going to change anything, it has no big meaning for it, big deal im not shaving my hair, so im respecting someone by doing that ? how dumb does it look and sound.

if i died, i would want people to put white flowers on my casket, and wear white at my funeral, Its a celebration of my new life to come, as i believe it. So there is no reason to morn :P

my beliefs are different from most traditional armenian beliefs that tie into our apostolic church.

but you are right, some traditions are worth continueing, because its apart of who we are, and also reasons for us to live everyday for and for our children.

my comments were directed to stupid traditions that are pointless, and a waste of time, not toward those that hold value and good meaning to.
                    at my funeral i want everyone to wear black and have red roses over my casket and burry me at the glendale cemetary and my hokihankist i want that to be at the new banquet hall Grand in North holly

Comment

Sirumem did you plan your death?

"Enjoy life, there is plenty of time to be dead."

When i die i want to be burried with my back towards the world, why you ask, so the whole world can kiss my ass.

Lotus the whole white theme at the funeral is lovely, i would want my death to be a celebration of a new life to come. Because when one door closes another one opens.

Comment

Working...
                      X