Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

Do you have to be cool to wear a leather jacket?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do you have to be cool to wear a leather jacket?

I went to the Men's Warehouse to replace a jacket I've had for over 5 years now. They had two jackets around $150 that I wanted from their website, however the store here in Fresno did not have them. I did see a rack of leather jackets all 50% off, and I tried some on for fun. I liked the look of one and I ended up buying it.

It was $600, but ended up costing 300 after the discount. Lucky for me, right before that I went to go replace the lenses in my glasses, and it would have cost $200, but I had class with the girl working there last semester and she gave me $150 discount! So I figured the jacket only cost me $150 since that's what I originally intended on spending.

However, I've always dressed very casual and discreet, and I don't know if I'm making a huge statement by wearing a leather jacket. I'm also not very cool, and I don't drive a motorcycle. Are these all factors that I should consider before wearing my leather jacket?

Thank you fellow Armenians, I'm lucky in the fact that the leather jacket is very accepted in Armenian culture, at least in Glendale I think, so should I also consider whether or not I'm conforming to some kind of Armenian stereotype?

Re: Do you have to be cool to wear a leather jacket?

Leather jackets can go either way; either you can pull them off or you simpy can't.

I don't wear them because I don't feel comfortable in one because "it's not me." It looks like you really like it so it shouldn't really matter. I do often associate leather jackets with people trying to be "cool" but since you feel so casual in yours, it shouldn't be a problem. Most people who wear them think too much of themselves and it shows. It shouldn't be a problem.

By the way, I like the way you think and how the jacket only cost you $150.

Comment

Hey, its ok to wear a leather jacket, just don't go jumping no sharks. And, don't be a douchebag!!!
      Between childhood, boyhood,
      adolescence
      & manhood (maturity) there
      should be sharp lines drawn w/
      Tests, deaths, feats, rites
      stories, songs & judgements

- Morrison, Jim. Wilderness, vol. 1, p. 22

Comment

$300 is a stupid amount to spend on any jacket.

You LA people are so disconnected from the real world...

Comment

I just bought my first stuck-up snob jacket a few weeks ago. A $400 Marc of New York twill-wool 3/4 length. Difference is, I paid $80 for it on clearance at Marshall's. I figured for that price, you couldn't even get a quality jacket (of this material) from a "lessor" brand (let's face it, they're ALL made in China), so what the hell.

I don't know what makes a leather jacket for "cool people". Everyone and their mother has one around here, and I'd imagine most anywhere else where the temps get cool (like the people wearing them!). I've had several of them for over 10 years. It's as common place as wearing a regular cotton sweatshirt, so I don't know why anyone that wears one would think anything of it.

BTW, why is this in the intellectual forum?

Comment

Because we're discussing it like intellectual people, however, "You LA people are so disconnected from the real world..." If you read the post I'm from Fresno. Where summer temps are 110, and winter temps are 40-60. If LA is disconnected from the real world? Where is the real world?

my jacket is a Marc New York made in China lol, but it was from Men's Warehouse. Dang $80 from Marshall's? I should've checked that out first.

Comment

This does not belong in the "Intellectual Lounge."
              Achkerov kute.

Comment

Originally posted by Thai-Samurai View Post
                Because we're discussing it like intellectual people, however, "You LA people are so disconnected from the real world..." If you read the post I'm from Fresno. Where summer temps are 110, and winter temps are 40-60. If LA is disconnected from the real world? Where is the real world?
                What do temperatures have to do with what he's saying? He means if you consider $300 a "steal" or "bargain" for a leather jacket, then perhaps you are disconnected from reality.

Originally posted by Thai-Samurai View Post
                my jacket is a Marc New York made in China lol, but it was from Men's Warehouse. Dang $80 from Marshall's? I should've checked that out first.
                It was the first time I had been in a Marshall's in many years. That's because the last time I was there (which was the first time ever), I remember looking at the prices, and thinking "ummm....this isn't any better than the sale or clearance prices at the expensive department stores". I don't remember them being so much cheaper. It was on clearance since the season is winding down, but even there "regular" price was only $100. That's more than reasonable for the caliber of jacket this was.

But yeah, otherwise, I can't see why these stuck up name brands charge what they do other than morons like to pretend they're better, or cooler than the people who can't afford them, and continue forking over the cash. Honestly, like I said, look at the labels on all those super, high-end brands. They're all made in China, just like the "poor people" brands. It would be different if they were made in Italy, or something, but that's not the case, so I don't care WHO'S name is on it. It ain't worth anywhere near the retail prices in my eyes.

Comment

No, you don't have to be cool to wear a leather jacket. Wear whatever you want to wear and don't care what others tell you. Leather jackets are perfect for those cold spring or fall/warm winter days. Dress for the occasion but no need to wear it everyday like the Fonze.
                  "Nobody can give you freedom. Nobody can give you equality or justice or anything. If you're a man, you take it." ~Malcolm X

Comment

Originally posted by KanadaHye View Post
                    No, you don't have to be cool to wear a leather jacket. Wear whatever you want to wear and don't care what others tell you. Leather jackets are perfect for those cold spring or fall/warm winter days. Dress for the occasion but no need to wear it everyday like the Fonze.
                    I think this is the key to pulling off the leather jacket.

Comment

Working...
                    X