Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

Let's talk about Atlanta

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Let's talk about Atlanta

Originally posted by Siggie View Post
    Do not even joke about that... >>
    *dies*

Comment

Hey Karo,

You know I was born in GA at the USAF base in Warner Robins? Went to G.S.U. in 5 points downtown Atlanta. Also went to Jolly Elementary in Stone Mountain GA.

PLEASE do not listen to what these people are telling you about the racial atmosphere in Atlanta ... it is only what you make it. After living here in L.A. for a little while I can safely say it is far more segregated out here. Every group has their own area which is not true for Atlanta. Everybody has the same area ... Atlanta (with the exception of the wack suburbs). Yeah there are areas to stay away from such as S.W.A.T.s, which is the South West Atlanta Tenements, but for the most part you need to be more aware of your surroundings than you need to be out here. People will say College Park and East Atlanta are bad but they really are not that bad. You won't have much of a reason to go there if you are going to Emory.

5 Points station in downtown Atlanta (main hub for the metro), very close to the underground, will be a strange experience for you but be cool. There are tons of black ppl everywhere and I am soooo not kidding. Dudes will come up to you if they sense you are a mark, so don't act like one. That's not just Atlanta btw, lol, even here in L.A. there are plenty of places where acting like a mark will get treated like one. The level of gangs in Atlanta in comparison to out here is practically nonexistent. You are worried about Mexican Drug Cartels in GA? I mean yeah they are there as they are all over the country but they are waaay more condensed in the S.W.!

Let me finish by saying this about the racism in Atlanta ... because the whites and blacks have lived together for so long we have learned to appreciate our differences. By that I mean we don't force the notion that "we're all the same" because we are not. Instead we embrace the differences and enjoy the unique things each culture brings. Yes there is racism and it flows both ways but you will either get past it and realize that majority of Atlantians are getting along in the way I described above, or you will sink. We get down together and that's how it is. It's not all good but it is mostly. <-get used to talking like that too. Speaking in old sayings will win you mad brownie points. You can have entire conversations that are a collection of old sayings mixed in with some new ones you create on the fly. Try it out! hehe

Ok so on to the many good things Atlanta has to offer, First do not confuse Downtown 5 Points with Little 5 Points which is the bohemian epicenter for Atlanta. Little 5 Points is awesome and I miss dearly Criminal Records and Wax 'n Fax Records. Variety Playhouse is down there where I have seen a ton of amazing artists. Little 5 Points is really cool and not far from Emory. Great Places to eat and shop. Also cool place to live if that's your style.

Closer to Emory is the Virginia Highlands which is a more young hip professionals hang-out. Also good place to live near Emory. Near that area is Ponce de Leon which I lived off of for years near the Krispy Kreme. One street parallel to Ponce but south is North Ave. where you will find the Varsity near my old dorms by the Georgia Tech Bobby Dodd stadium. A bit further in on North Ave is the Masquerade Club which has live acts in Heaven and DJs in Hell. It's a cool spot that's been there for a while.

In general one of the big things to do in Atlanta is to dine out. Atlanta is a HUGE foodie town and I could literally list hundreds of insanely great places to get grub, from French deli style Jaqcbo to the great smoky ribs at Fat Matt's Rib Shack or the fried chicken next door at Fat Matts Chicken Shack. There are awesome Ethiopian, sushi, tex-mex, soul food .... everything you can imagine.

College radio is also huge in Atlanta with my Alma boasting a 100,000 watt tower! 88.5 WRAS YEAH!! 91.1 is the Georgia Tech channel WREK.

Take a trip to Callaway Gardens which is an hour south of Atlanta. Go see the firework celebration at Stone Mountain every friday or especially on the 4th of July. Take a trip to Athens which is where the University of GA is at. Really awesome city. Margret Mitchell's home and Ebenezer Baptist Church is where Martin Luther King spent most of his time. Go see the underground and the Coke museum. GO SEE THE FALCONS!! Our new QB Matt Ryan is the BOMB! =) Also a Braves game at Turner Field is cool. There are also the Hawks for basketball and the Thrashers for Hockey.

On to the weather. It does get insanely hot. Like you have never experienced in your life hot. It's because of the humidity. It'll be 100% humidity and 98 degrees, with zero breeze. Just still swampy heat. It does suck but it doesn't bother me anymore. I kind of like it, lol. Let's put it like this ... we as a city LIED to the Olympic committee about our average summer temps. They don't call it Hotlanta for nuthin'!! heh I miss the rain, you'll get more than you do here. In the winter it gets seriously cold too. No snow but hella cold.

Ok I'll write more if you want me to as I consider Atl my hometown but I hope you enjoy your stay to the dirty dirty. I miss it but I do like it out here as well.

Comment

Hey Lamby.
        Thanks for all that info dude. I have to say I like the area so far. Atlanta has a much more industrialized and solid look and feel to it than I excepted. Not surprising perhaps, considering it covers some of the richest zip codes in the country. The Emory area is very cool, and I have to agree about the great, yet reasonable places you can eat at here.

I've driven through the little five points. Teaming with hip/cool/jive cats browsing the various shops. Might check it out.

It's also not as humid or hot as I had been warned, though maybe I just need to wait. I also liked the people (of all colors and races) that I met here. Naturally, there are some segregated slums that I need to stay out of, but most other areas I went to had quite a lot of diversity, and that seemed to be doing pretty well with each other. Now if I can only meet some Armos.

I've scoped out some of the Armenian contacts that might refer me to fun Armenian events or gatherings or Armenian shops/restaurants. There's a cultural association, Armenian Assembly. So I'm optimistic.

Thanks again y'all

Comment

Good to hear from you again Karo, glad that Atlanta is treating you well.

Comment

Karo welcome back hope you'll start posting very soon.

Comment

Working...
            X