Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

Lifestyles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lifestyles

What do you guys think of communities like the Amish,and Havasu?

Living in a simple world, having a simple life.

People in these communities, have longer life-spans, LESS stress, and are overall happier, and Safe.

Would you choose to live in that type of a world?
    Last edited by spiral; 01-09-2004, 12:49 PM.

Best thing about the Amish is that you can insult them all you want over the internet, and they'll never find out.

I'm personally against the seclusion of one group towards all others. I'm also against the fact that all members of the community must, in a way, lead exactly the same lifestyle.

Also, I happen to like a little bit of stress.

Comment

oooh, it's with an A

haha, I remember Weird Al singing amish paradise.

Comment

What ever makes you happy. But such communities cannot express art the way I want it to be expressed and will not afford me the opportunity to express art the way I want to. It is not for me. Not with the brain I have now. But I would be a Buddhist monk before an Amish man. And I would tell all of the Buddists that they are not really Buddists and that I will be...and then I will kill myself and then they will think about it and I will go down in history as prophet.

Comment

I think the Amish are a very interesting people and I would greatly enjoy learning more about them. They have a certain disturst of technologies. People think of them as "backward" for not using them. Actually, the Amish do employ tools, but if someone wants to consider bringing a new technology into the community, the Amish study it with this thought in mind: will acceptance of this technology make us dependent upon the external world, such that we will be tempted to change our ways? I think this is an important question that we overlook, those of us living in the world of technology. As Einstein said, "Our technology has surpassed our humanity".
          Achkerov kute.

Comment

But I think a pale-skinned, hairless boy will show up and give us faith that one day our humanity will surpass our technology.

Comment

Originally posted by Arvestaked What ever makes you happy. But such communities cannot express art the way I want it to be expressed and will not afford me the opportunity to express art the way I want to. It is not for me. Not with the brain I have now. But I would be a Buddhist monk before an Amish man. And I would tell all of the Buddists that they are not really Buddists and that I will be...and then I will kill myself and then they will think about it and I will go down in history as prophet.
              Not if I do it first, HA! *puts a knife in pocket and runs away, giggling hysterically*
              Last edited by xBaron Dants; 01-09-2004, 01:00 PM.

Comment

I admire their lifestyles.

Technology will ulitmately lead to corruption.

some people argue that they are living in a narrow world, where they see 'nothing', and that their lives have no purpose, since their opportunities and the range in which they can strive for their goals are limitied.

when you think about it...

for us, there is an endless road of opportunities, you set your mind to something, you can achieve it. You can have mostly everything, and anything you want if you strive for it.

but going back to the meaning of life- Is this really what counts?

a successful career/materialistic goods?
                we are constantly spoiled by more and more of everything.

We are reaching a stage in technology now where, scientist are coming up with more and more ways of mimicing or altering human life. cloning, bioengineering, etc..

I was reading about how in a couple of years, they will have made artificial organs, to replace with real one's if necessary.

so eventually, man, will be able to create man from head to toe,
                -not the natural way.

Comment

Man already recreates man by clonning. and they have Gene whatchamacallit too, switching your code around before you're born so you will be a certaiin way.

Ahhhhh the amish and their poor women.
                  It would be great living without technology, real man's world(by man i mean human, don't get offended girls) Ohhhh mann i hope i see the day!!!

Comment

Originally posted by spiral We are reaching a stage in technology now where, scientist are coming up with more and more ways of mimicing or altering human life. cloning, bioengineering, etc..

I was reading about how in a couple of years, they will have made artificial organs, to replace with real one's if necessary.

so eventually, man, will be able to create man from head to toe,
                    -not the natural way.
                    What's so unnatural about this? Is man and his scientific knowledge somehow not a part of nature?

In answering your question, I would love to live a simple life, but it's too late for that. As you said, we've been spoiled, and I don't think there's much hope for a return, at least not in this generation. So I will my life the way that I have already been living, in accordance with whatever standards I have may have recognized. I'm not too concerned with identifying them, nor I am concerned that they are controlling me or taking anything away from me. I make my decision now, with full awareness of the consequences. This is the world I am a part of and I happen to kinda like it.

I continue to read Into the Wild and fantasize, but who am I kidding? I'm not Chris McCandless, and I have many dreams that involve others. I will never be that free, and I'm just going to have to learn how to deal with that fact.

Comment

Working...
                    X