Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

Richard Dawkins interview with Bill O'Reilly

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Richard Dawkins interview with Bill O'Reilly

Originally posted by KanadaHye View Post
    Depends if it's from a Hebrew source... I've seen it spelled genisis before in sites like this...

http://forum.richarddawkins.net/view...=98996&start=0

btw... Genesis/Genisis means "birth" in Hebrew. So why is science using words from the bible to explain the origins of life?
    I've never seen it with that "i." And I don't know what you mean by Hebrew source or by a meaning in Hebrew because I'm quite confident that it comes from Greek. Many words used in science or English in general come from Greek in a similar fashion, like "psychology" or "biology."

Comment

I dont mind a frank discussion about any legit topic but arguing against evolution definetly puts you in the religious nutt catagory because those are the only people who still argue against it. Their argument is based on a bunch of garbage usualy of religious origin and like everything else these nutts do, it can't be substantiated or even discussed without rational people bursting into uncontrolable laughfter. It is sad to see that religion still can put the blinders on people like that but it reinforces my earlier statement that the USA is not a secular country, thats right all the sexual permisquity and other "evile" things some clowns here like to talk about are happening in a chrystian country! Go watch some great pbs documentaries about evolution research (there are some great ones) and if you still arent convinced then by all means go join mr huckabee and sara paylin in your endless rants on sexual permiscuity while your underaged daughter is bussy gettin pregnent.
      Hayastan or Bust.

Comment

Originally posted by Stark Evade View Post
        I've never seen it with that "i." And I don't know what you mean by Hebrew source or by a meaning in Hebrew because I'm quite confident that it comes from Greek. Many words used in science or English in general come from Greek in a similar fashion, like "psychology" or "biology."
        Words in English are derived from Greek. Most translations were made from Hebrew to Greek.

Originally posted by Haykakan View Post
        I dont mind a frank discussion about any legit topic but arguing against evolution definetly puts you in the religious nutt catagory because those are the only people who still argue against it. Their argument is based on a bunch of garbage usualy of religious origin and like everything else these nutts do, it can't be substantiated or even discussed without rational people bursting into uncontrolable laughfter. It is sad to see that religion still can put the blinders on people like that but it reinforces my earlier statement that the USA is not a secular country, thats right all the sexual permisquity and other "evile" things some clowns here like to talk about are happening in a chrystian country! Go watch some great pbs documentaries about evolution research (there are some great ones) and if you still arent convinced then by all means go join mr huckabee and sara paylin in your endless rants on sexual permiscuity while your underaged daughter is bussy gettin pregnent.
        Now you're comparing people who have world experience to clowns who were raised in the farms of the USA? Every time I have to enter that country for business, it's like entering the twilight zone.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XfSN4...eature=related

Originally posted by hipeter924 View Post
        America can't call itself that Secular, since the only religion that seems to be represented in government is Protestant, Catholic and Evangelical Christianity, and no agnostics and atheists exist there really either. In addition Atheists (and therefore Buddhists) are bared from political office and the Presidency in some states. Also there is a strong anti-science movement, and ever since 9/11 there is a lot of discrimination against Muslims. The list goes on, but I wouldn't call the US model that Secular.
        Wow... people have seriously lost all perspective on things. The USA is extremely secular, it's just controlled by J3ws. Evangelical Christians are the nutts that get paid by the J3wish lobby to do their dirty political work. It's not hard to make people believe anything when they've never left their own state. The world to them is about as big as the cardboard box that they would be living in if it weren't for the government holding their hand through life.
        Last edited by KanadaHye; 11-30-2009, 05:52 PM.
        "Nobody can give you freedom. Nobody can give you equality or justice or anything. If you're a man, you take it." ~Malcolm X

Comment

Words in English are derived from Greek. Most translations were made from Hebrew to Greek.

Now you're comparing people who have world experience to clowns who were raised in the farms of the USA? Every time I have to enter that country for business, it's like entering the twilight zone.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XfSN4...eature=related

Wow... people have seriously lost all perspective on things. The USA is extremely secular, it's just controlled by J3ws. Evangelical Christians are the nutts that get paid by the J3wish lobby to do their dirty political work. It's not hard to make people believe anything when they've never left their own state. The world to them is about as big as the cardboard box that they would be living in if it weren't for the government holding their hand through life.
          Good point, but publicly at least (in the right) they aren't that Secular and want a Christian state with the equivalent rights and privileges of the Taliban run Afghanistan. http://www.theocracywatch.org/biblical_law2.htm
          Last edited by hipeter924; 11-30-2009, 06:34 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by hipeter924 View Post
            Good point, but publicly at least (in the right) they aren't that Secular and want a Christian state with the equivalent rights and privileges of the Taliban run Afghanistan. http://www.theocracywatch.org/biblical_law2.htm
            They aren't going to pay off the debt by letting people act like 45 yr old children anymore. With freedom comes responsibility... anybody can run up a credit card then declare bankruptcy. It doesn't take much skill to do that.
            "Nobody can give you freedom. Nobody can give you equality or justice or anything. If you're a man, you take it." ~Malcolm X

Comment

KanadaHye i love some of your humor man o and congradulations on your national igloo lol.
              Hayastan or Bust.

Comment

Translations of what? The bible? Translation doesn't mean that the word translated comes from the original word. If I translated the Armenian sentence "Seghanuh medz eh" into "The table is big" that would not mean that the word table is derived from seghan. Hebrew is a Semitic language and Greek is an Indo-European language. Two different branches. I never read the bible so I'm not going to claim to have known this already but I researched it a bit and it seems that the Hebrew title of that book is something like be'reshet. Linguistically, that has nothing to do with "genesis." The Greeks translated that Hebrew word which means "in the beginning" with there own word from which the English word genesis is derived. There's no reason to believe Hebrew had a monopoly on the concept of "a beginning." That's all I will write on this because it has nothing to do with the topic.

Comment

Translations of what? The bible? Translation doesn't mean that the word translated comes from the original word. If I translated the Armenian sentence "Seghanuh medz eh" into "The table is big" that would not mean that the word table is derived from seghan. Hebrew is a Semitic language and Greek is an Indo-European language. Two different branches. I never read the bible so I'm not going to claim to have known this already but I researched it a bit and it seems that the Hebrew title of that book is something like be'reshet. Linguistically, that has nothing to do with "genesis." The Greeks translated that Hebrew word which means "in the beginning" with there own word from which the English word genesis is derived. There's no reason to believe Hebrew had a monopoly on the concept of "a beginning." That's all I will write on this because it has nothing to do with the topic.
                  I know what translation means seeing that I know 4 languages. The point is scientists use the word genesis to explain the origins of life or "in the beginning" because they were influenced from the bible.

Originally posted by Haykakan View Post
                  KanadaHye i love some of your humor man o and congradulations on your national igloo lol.
                  Stupid politicians in parliament decided to put in a fireplace and the whole thing melted down!!!
                  Last edited by KanadaHye; 12-01-2009, 02:23 PM.

Comment

The point is scientists use the word genesis to explain the origins of life or "in the beginning" because they were influenced from the bible.

#1: You are making this statement without etymological support of any kind. It's an assumption to satisfy your desire to give importance to religion.

#2: It's just a word and has no relevance to the concepts at hand. Even if it were true that the usage was influenced from the bible (which it probably was not) that hypothetical fact wouldn't make science more religious or make religion more scientific. It would just be an indicator of the evolution of language. This is a meaningless argument that you instigated to make yourself better after the failure of yet another pathetic and ignorant creationist argument.

Comment

• Re: Richard Dawkins interview with Bill O'Reilly

#1: You are making this statement without etymological support of any kind. It's an assumption to satisfy your desire to give importance to religion.

#2: It's just a word and has no relevance to the concepts at hand. Even if it were true that the usage was influenced from the bible (which it probably was not) that hypothetical fact wouldn't make science more religious or make religion more scientific. It would just be an indicator of the evolution of language. This is a meaningless argument that you instigated to make yourself better after the failure of yet another pathetic and ignorant creationist argument.
                      You're right. Except that many great minds in history had religious upbringings and all that oppose it are armchair scientists arguing on the internet.

Comment

Working...
                      X