Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

Religion and Atheism

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Religion and Atheism

Originally posted by KanadaHye View Post
    However, as a figure of authority he did convert. The question is why would a powerful man agree to represent something that would take power away from him? The Greek gods were just figures or idols, they didn't represent a form of guidance or intellectual enlightenment.
    Actually it gave him and his successors more power. After Vespasian no emperor was proclaimed god like Caesar, Augustus or Nero were. Vespasian was the last one to be proclaimed god. However after Constantine we see that emperors are viewed as the voice of god on earth. In the Middle Ages there were two emperors in all of Europe. Both of them taught they were messengers of god. It gave them something exclusive they were the most powerful being on earth safe for god that is what meant for Constantine to become Christian.

Then you don't know much about Roman/Hellenic religions. Still you haven't given real proof how your god is more real than the other ones.

Enlightenment? Are you kidding me?

Comment

Originally posted by Armanen View Post
      I guess living in western Europe will turn one into an atheist?

If you read about Perennialism (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Perennial_philosophy) you will understand that there as always been a Creator, but people throughout history have seen different aspects of the Creator. Some saw multiple gods, others a few, and more recently, only one. The answers are out there, but you will never get them from science because that is not what science was created for nor should do.
      What is wrong with being an atheist?

That piece of philosophy to me seems as an attempt to find a link that in my opinion doesn't exist in religion. they find a minor link but choose to ignore everything else in the religion.
      How can people follow a book that basics of the universe wrong, aka sun turning around the earth?

Comment

Originally posted by KarotheGreat View Post
        Actually it gave him and his successors more power. After Vespasian no emperor was proclaimed god like Caesar, Augustus or Nero were. Vespasian was the last one to be proclaimed god. However after Constantine we see that emperors are viewed as the voice of god on earth. In the Middle Ages there were two emperors in all of Europe. Both of them taught they were messengers of god. It gave them something exclusive they were the most powerful being on earth safe for god that is what meant for Constantine to become Christian.
        Now this is the kind of an informative and well structured post that is great to see!
        this post = teh win.

Comment

No, it was not made up as a joke. You should probably read the article, and the section on criticism. His logic is not flawed and he explains the position you just brought up, about God knowing someone is believing in him but not out of sincerity. Of course God would know. Just read the article, it is explained rather well.
          I know I read something about the context in which he proposed it, but I don't have access to it, as all of my books and such are in storage.
          At any rate, the article simply says that reason should compel people to believe. That's not how it works. It's going to take more than an inconsistency-laden bronze age text and the word of others (who have no evidence to offer themselves) to make some believe.

If we said the same about Santa and said therefore you should believe in him because you can only gain by doing so, if he turns out to be real, would you be able to believe in him? Fear of hell which there's no evidence for either isn't sufficient reason to believe.

Well I'm glad you are not a post-modernist. But I could be wrong.
          Of course not; I'm a scientist.
          [COLOR=#4b0082][B][SIZE=4][FONT=trebuchet ms]“If you think you can, or you can’t, you’re right.”
          -Henry Ford[/FONT][/SIZE][/B][/COLOR]

Comment

What is wrong with being an atheist?

That piece of philosophy to me seems as an attempt to find a link that in my opinion doesn't exist in religion. they find a minor link but choose to ignore everything else in the religion.
            How can people follow a book that basics of the universe wrong, aka sun turning around the earth?
            Not just those basics, but it contradicts itself left and right too. :-/
            [COLOR=#4b0082][B][SIZE=4][FONT=trebuchet ms]“If you think you can, or you can’t, you’re right.”

Comment

Then you don't know much about Roman/Hellenic religions. Still you haven't given real proof how your god is more real than the other ones.

Enlightenment? Are you kidding me?
              Right... that's why the power was divided among more than one Emperor where in the past, authority belonged to only one. As Christians further expose the ruling bodies and breakdown all the government structures that protect the liars and thiefs, they will be left naked in the streets along with all the leeches protecting their institutions. Blood sucking thieves.
              "Nobody can give you freedom. Nobody can give you equality or justice or anything. If you're a man, you take it." ~Malcolm X

Comment

I guess living in western Europe will turn one into an atheist?

If you read about Perennialism (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Perennial_philosophy) you will understand that there as always been a Creator, but people throughout history have seen different aspects of the Creator. Some saw multiple gods, others a few, and more recently, only one. The answers are out there, but you will never get them from science because that is not what science was created for nor should do.
                There being universal religion is not evidence of a creator. Yes, people have believed in deities for a looooong time, but that doesn't mean that one exists. One does not follow logically from the other. To say that some entity created the universe is an extraordinary claim and extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence (but really... I'll settle for any amount of evidence). Where's the evidence of a creator?

Comment

That's not what I said. I said half of each story was true and the other half of each story was made up to leave question or doubt in order to persuade the third party that THEIR version of the truth is what really occured. It's impossible to prove something that is entirely made up and difficult to prove that it didn't occur. It's hard to prove something that really happened when half truths of accounts are created to change the events and leave doubt.
                  While this makes a great topic for a film (see Roshomon; it's fantastic), I still don't see your point.
                  We're not always working from people's memories. The evidence is not limited to personal accounts. That's what you examine, as a first step, if it's not feasible to examine more reliable data.
                  You shouldn't need to prove that something didn't occur. It's illogical. The court system isn't even set up this way (that's why it's innocent until proven guilty).

Comment

Originally posted by Siggie View Post
                    While this makes a great topic for a film (see Roshomon; it's fantastic), I still don't see your point.
                    We're not always working from people's memories. The evidence is not limited to personal accounts. That's what you examine, as a first step, if it's not feasible to examine more reliable data.
                    You shouldn't need to prove that something didn't occur. It's illogical. The court system isn't even set up this way (that's why it's innocent until proven guilty).
                    Not in the case of a breathalyzer malfunction for a DUI. You're guilty until proven innocent.
                    "Nobody can give you freedom. Nobody can give you equality or justice or anything. If you're a man, you take it." ~Malcolm X

Comment

Right... that's why the power was divided among more than one Emperor where in the past, authority belonged to only one. As Christians further expose the ruling bodies and breakdown all the government structures that protect the liars and thiefs, they will be left naked in the streets along with all the leeches protecting their institutions. Blood sucking thieves.
                      Now add the historical context and then you will come to the truth. The emperors that came after Constantine had more power than the ones that came before. Until Charlemagne there was only one emperor in the whole world and he spoke with the voice of god.

Christians didn't do no such thing most of the time the people breaking down the power were not the Christians but everybody but the Christians. Some of these Emperors ruled until WW1 in one form or another.

Comment

Working...
                      X