Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

Religion and Atheism

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Religion and Atheism

Originally posted by yerazhishda View Post
    This quote just shows your arrogance and pride regarding a subject you know nothing about. You make claims about "most Christians" because they happen to support your philosophical prejudices.
    I have never hidden the fact that I have never read the Bible and don't really intend to. I actually have probably read maybe 3 books total in the last 2 decades. My entire basis for discussion in these topics is what other people say and just personal observations. I totally grant you that my view of "most Christians" may be highly localized to the western US. I did live in Germany for a while and was exposed to the protestant/catholic divide there but I was far too young to make much of it.

Now regarding my "claims", most are at a fairly high level and on the fundamental basiseses of Christianity. As kind of a computery guy, I tend not to get bogged down when I don't really understand the big picture.

NOW, both of these Christianities reject the idea of what you are talking about (sola scriptura). Sola Scriptura is the idea that the Bible is the inerrant word of God, literally. This is a new Protestant idea (think Reformation) and has been rejected by the ancient Churches, going back to the third, fourth, and fifth centuries. If you had any knowledge on the topic you purpose to be talking about, you would already know all this and I wouldn't have to explain it.
    As I said there are 2 schools of thought: Those who think the bible is the literal word of God and those who do not. How did I not convey this in my post (there were 2 choices I presented to Kanadahye). So what you are telling me is that the Catholics and the Orthodoxes are of the non-literal category. Fine and dandy.

The FUNDAMENTAL issue still remains: In order to believe in God you have to have faith that the Bible is true (at least the parts that talk about God). I see no reason presented in the validity of the Biblbe other than it is some sort of holy book that is not to be questioned. THIS is the main problem I (and of course pretty much anyone that can think on his or her own) have with this entire premise of circular reinforcement logic (I made that phrase up since I also want to use big words)

By the way, the best proof for the Resurrection is the existence of the Church. Multitudes of people are not going to willingly be martyred for something that isn't real, and they ALL couldn't have been hallucinating.
    Perhaps to some. To me, the behavior of the masses hasne't tended to be much proof of truth. We burned witches in the past. We shunned those that said the Earth was not at the center of the universe. It took us a long time to figure out the Earth is actually round ... there are still people that have trouble believing we actually went to the moon. So yah, with such a wide-spread mental disease (aka religion), I certainly won't be shocked to find out MANY MANY MANY have been hallucinating for a long long LOOOOONG time.

For the record, I am not "atheist". I am much more of a practicalist, agnostic, whaterver ... I am pretty certain at this point I have a good understanding how Christianity came to be 2000 years ago and I am pretty certain I will not be believing in that God but of course I have no clue about the real questions of existence, purpose, etc.
    Last edited by Sip; 06-10-2011, 10:36 AM.
    this post = teh win.

Comment

Originally posted by Siggie View Post
      Yeah, I've run into this... Some people identify jewish like it's an ethnicity and not a religion. So, it's like they're ethnic jew, but not religiously a jew.
      It's confusing to say the least. I suppose they do share a culture even if they don't believe.
      Why do we generally refer to people from France as French when they are actually Franks? They have Germanic roots so frankly speaking, they should be referred to as Frankish not French. It's basically an attempt by Hryas to bury the history in the region (disconnecting the French people from their own roots) to form an illusion that the current rulers of France are liberal, peaceful and fun loving people. In actuality, France is just as imperial and murderous as it was in its hay days.

Originally posted by Sip View Post
      Perhaps to some. To me, the behavior of the masses hasne't tended to be much proof of truth. We burned witches in the past. We shunned those that said the Earth was not at the center of the universe. It took us a long time to figure out the Earth is actually round ... there are still people that have trouble believing we actually went to the moon. So yah, with such a wide-spread mental disease (aka religion), I certainly won't be shocked to find out MANY MANY MANY have been hallucinating for a long long LOOOOONG time.

For the record, I am not "atheist". I am much more of a practicalist, agnostic, whaterver ... I am pretty certain at this point I have a good understanding how Christianity came to be 2000 years ago and I am pretty certain I will not be believing in that God but of course I have no clue about the real questions of existence, purpose, etc.
      When you say "We burned witches in the past" were Armenians involved in any of these things? Why should everyone be made guilty for things that only certain individual people or groups of people were responsible for? Just because someone identifies themselves as being Christian doesn't make them a Nazi. I know my ancestors had no involvement in Nazi Germany.

As far as the "Earth is flat" argument, this was a 20th century myth. The Greeks knew the Earth was round and was able to estimate its diameter rather accurately.

"WE" didn't go to the moon. At least I don't know anyone that has gone to the moon and brought back vacation photos .
      Last edited by KanadaHye; 06-10-2011, 11:02 AM.
      "Nobody can give you freedom. Nobody can give you equality or justice or anything. If you're a man, you take it." ~Malcolm X

Comment

Originally posted by KanadaHye View Post

"WE" didn't go to the moon. At least I don't know anyone that has gone to the moon and brought back vacation photos .
        OBVIOUSLY he meant the collect "we" meaning humanity, but you'll take issue with that too and we know your views on that. To avoid having this debate in this thread, I will post a link to the thread where this was discussed for any who are curious:

Please post any comments pertaining to this, in that thread.
        [COLOR=#4b0082][B][SIZE=4][FONT=trebuchet ms]“If you think you can, or you can’t, you’re right.”
        -Henry Ford[/FONT][/SIZE][/B][/COLOR]

Comment

Originally posted by Siggie View Post
          OBVIOUSLY he meant the collect "we" meaning humanity, but you'll take issue with that too and we know your views on that. To avoid having this debate in this thread, I will post a link to the thread where this was discussed for any who are curious:

Please post any comments pertaining to this, in that thread.
          Typical American mentally "our basketball team won" "we did this" "we" it's like the American mentality is conditioned like the "Borg".
          "Nobody can give you freedom. Nobody can give you equality or justice or anything. If you're a man, you take it." ~Malcolm X

Comment

Originally posted by yerazhishda View Post
            I'm not really b!tchy, I just don't appreciate false information.

When talking about the origins and history of the Bible, and how most Christians (i.e. the Apostolic Churches) relate to it, I do not consider my post "minutiae".

That's subjective, especially considering the debate is about people's deep-seated beliefs. I don't think I was being rude to him, only trying to bring him down to reality that most of the assumptions which he bases his conclusions upon are not correct.

Depends whose Christianity you're talking about. I agree that American atheists tend to be able to pick out random Bible verses and say, "see, look how evil Christianity is!" and then deconstruct American Christianity that way. But I think most American atheists know next-to-nothing about what Christianity has said over its near-2000 year history. Do you know how the Bible is traditionally interpreted (i.e. through the Church Fathers)? It is well known that anyone can take any verse of the Bible and make any sort of claim using it, but this is not how Christians have traditionally understood it including the Armenian Church.

I was just pointing out that most Christians do not agree with the doctrine of Sola Scriptura and that this is basically an American invention. Most Christians do not think like the ones you see on TV, and that's an empirical fact.
            However a huge part of Christians aren't like you. To me you got three different kinds: one like you who doesn't take the bible as a literal word of god, most of them seem to live in Europe and you got a small part in the US. Secondly you got your crazy fundamentalist in the US, we all know them. They refuse to accept anything that isn't in the bible. They are no different than the taliban or any other extremist out there.

Third group is the group that lives in poorer countries and just doesn't know anything else because they don't have access to it and the lack of education. You got a lot of them in Armenia, we call them havadatjal.

What the dangerous thing is that those people take the bible as the word of god and everything in it true. How many times have you not seen Armenia being connected to Noah and the flood.
            People like you are a minority, a gem in the bunch so to say. Most people don't have the knowledge you have.

Comment

Typical American mentally "our basketball team won" "we did this" "we" it's like the American mentality is conditioned like the "Borg".
              Don't we Armenians say we won the Artsakh war or we won WWII, while in the first the majority didn't participate and in the second the majority wasn't alive but still we do it. So that is something human not American.

Comment

Why do we generally refer to people from France as French when they are actually Franks? They have Germanic roots so frankly speaking, they should be referred to as Frankish not French. It's basically an attempt by Hryas to bury the history in the region (disconnecting the French people from their own roots) to form an illusion that the current rulers of France are liberal, peaceful and fun loving people. In actuality, France is just as imperial and murderous as it was in its hay days.
                France has been used so long now, I mean almost a 1000 years that this has nothing to do with xxxs or any conspiracy, or this has been going on for a thousand year.

Comment

Originally posted by KarotheGreat View Post
                  Don't we Armenians say we won the Artsakh war or we won WWII, while in the first the majority didn't participate and in the second the majority wasn't alive but still we do it. So that is something human not American.
                  YOU don't include all of humanity where American speakers think they are the world... so if "we" went to the moon... didn't Arabs go to the moon as well? I guess all the countries that America has invaded weren't part of humanity. It's just rather funny... that's all.

For instance... the "World Series" - apparently North America IS the world

Comment

Originally posted by KarotheGreat View Post
                    France has been used so long now, I mean almost a 1000 years that this has nothing to do with xxxs or any conspiracy, or this has been going on for a thousand year.
                    Are you kidding... Zionism's stronghold was in Britain and France.

Comment

YOU don't include all of humanity where American speakers think they are the world... so if "we" went to the moon... didn't Arabs go to the moon as well? I guess all the countries that America has invaded weren't part of humanity. It's just rather funny... that's all.

For instance... the "World Series" - apparently North America IS the world
                      Well Armstrong didn't say it's small step for men but a huge leap for the US but he said:

That's one small step for [a] man, one giant leap for mankind

Comment

Working...
                      X