Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

Religion and Atheism

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Religion and Atheism

Originally posted by HayotzAmrotz View Post
    I kindly suggest you to read and understand the text below. It highlights very clearly why Christians ought to fight against homosexuality.
    [/I]
    I read it. I didn't understand it. All I got from that text is blah blah blah homosexuality is sin blah blah homosexulaity bad blah blah God forbids it blah the end.

There is no "reason" given other than God's will. That's not good enough. A true follower of Christ will have compassion and love for all of God's creations, including the gays.
    this post = teh win.

Comment

Originally posted by Sip View Post
      I read it. I didn't understand it. All I got from that text is blah blah blah homosexuality is sin blah blah homosexulaity bad blah blah God forbids it blah the end.

There is no "reason" given other than God's will. That's not good enough. A true follower of Christ will have compassion and love for all of God's creations, including the gays.
      The most important message of my earlier post to you was this: Marriage is between a man and a woman. And that’s exactly what the opponents of gay marriage (including myself) oppose. I don’t care if all the holy books of the world (i.e. Torah, New Testament, Koran etc.) consider gays sinners and abomination because that’s not what my opposition is about.

I’m against gay marriage because I believe that the institute of marriage should be exclusively between a man and a woman. It was always this way and it should always remain this way for the sake of our traditions, culture and our future as a healthy nation.

Let the gays legally be together, but let’s not call it a marriage, let’s not give their union the same status as the heterosexual ones because theirs is just a legalized partnership, ours is not just a partnership, it’s union to create the future of mankind. What future for the society does a legalized gay partnership create? None, zilch, zero! What future for the society does a marriage create? Children – the very future itself! Do you understand that or not?

Comment

Originally posted by gkv View Post
        Don't let this jewish/freemason thing grow into an obsession.
        Very good suggestion, thank you.

P.S. it’s good to see you, axel. stay around and continue your contributions, i enjoy reading your posts.

Comment

Gay marriage is a political issue, focusing on gay couples having the same rights as heterosexual couples. The politics is quite simple. Men or women who are room mates and who don't ever plan to get married could legally opt to form a union just to reap the benefits. It sounds absurd but keep in mind that the same suspicions were applied to couples that married for green cards. That is perspective of the government. The perspective of the people is that marriage between a man and a woman is sacred and gay marriage makes a mockery of this sacrament.

There may be some people who have deep seeded hatred towards gays but I'm sure they are in the minority or have had some sort of altercation which formed their viewpoints. When the "Christian" right in the media speaks on issues, keep in mind that they don't speak for all Christians. However, it is still in dispute whether television and pop culture is having an affect on young minds who don't have the best parental figures. The representation of gays in the media is not proportionate or a blatant misrepresentation of reality.
          "Nobody can give you freedom. Nobody can give you equality or justice or anything. If you're a man, you take it." ~Malcolm X

Comment

Note: This applies to the US only (not the world; looking at you Kanada )

The way I see it, religion is irrelevant because there's (or there should be GRR) separation between church and state. What it boils down to is this... There's an equal protections clause in the constitution and at present the law is discriminatory. It's only a matter of a little time before this inequality is fixed. They cannot say that oh you can have "domestic partnership" and that's good enough. The Supreme Court has seen this kind of "separate but equal" BS before and it didn't fly.

That said, I agree with Sip... the arguments are unconvincing because they're really not arguments. They're prescriptions, rules, etc without any explanation or justification.
            What makes sense is that the bible takes this stance because a (the?) major goal of any religion is to GROW. What better way to do that than with lots of christian babies? In this light, the views on contraception, withdrawal, homosexuality, abortion, etc., all make a little more sense.
            [COLOR=#4b0082][B][SIZE=4][FONT=trebuchet ms]“If you think you can, or you can’t, you’re right.”
            -Henry Ford[/FONT][/SIZE][/B][/COLOR]

Comment

Originally posted by Siggie View Post

That said, I agree with Sip... the arguments are unconvincing because they're really not arguments. They're prescriptions, rules, etc without any explanation or justification.
              What makes sense is that the bible takes this stance because a (the?) major goal of any religion is to GROW. What better way to do that than with lots of christian babies? In this light, the views on contraception, withdrawal, homosexuality, abortion, etc., all make a little more sense.
              The only reason "America" works is because of immigration. Close off the country to immigrants and it will die within 1-2 generations using your model. It's not about growth but sustaining sustaining life. If you don't have a young generation to take care of the old, you're pretty much dead in the water.
              "Nobody can give you freedom. Nobody can give you equality or justice or anything. If you're a man, you take it." ~Malcolm X

Comment

Originally posted by KanadaHye View Post
                The only reason "America" works is because of immigration. Close off the country to immigrants and it will die within 1-2 generations using your model. It's not about growth but sustaining sustaining life. If you don't have a young generation to take care of the old, you're pretty much dead in the water.
                I didn't say America... Not about growth anyway. I was saying it makes sense for religions to take these stances.
                [COLOR=#4b0082][B][SIZE=4][FONT=trebuchet ms]“If you think you can, or you can’t, you’re right.”

Comment

Originally posted by KanadaHye View Post
                  What? Are you suggesting America will die due to gays? Before you answer that, let me ask if there are only gays in the US or there are gays everywhere? (Note that this is mostly a rhetorical question unless you are with Ahmadinejad and want to claim that for example there are no gays in Iran )

I may have misunderstood what you are saying ... I am hoping you are saying that we need larger and larger groups of young people to keep the old generations going since they live so much longer
                  this post = teh win.

Comment

(Note that this is mostly a rhetorical question unless you are with Ahmadinejad and want to claim that for example there are no gays in Iran )

I may have misunderstood what you are saying ... I am hoping you are saying that we need larger and larger groups of young people to keep the old generations going since they live so much longer
                    I think this is what he meant. In classic Kanada style, his point didn't have much to do with gays or religion.

Comment

Originally posted by HayotzAmrotz View Post
                      The most important message of my earlier post to you was this: Marriage is between a man and a woman. And that’s exactly what the opponents of gay marriage (including myself) oppose. I don’t care if all the holy books of the world (i.e. Torah, New Testament, Koran etc.) consider gays sinners and abomination because that’s not what my opposition is about.
                      Gay marriage is definitely a huge topic on its own. I am one of those that doesn't think marriage should be subsidized (straight or gay). If people want to get together, commit to each other, and live like that, fine. They are free to do so. It is a social concept and should not be endorsed, recommended, discouraged, encouraged, or in any way interfered with by government. In other words, I am anti-marriage as an institution (Gay or straight, doesn't matter to me).

The problem with modern religion is trying to classify homosexuality as "sin" when there are soooo many gays that are biologically gay (as in God made them that way). I know a lot of the uber-religious will fight tooth and nail trying to argue against this but you put any group of 10 people together, my guess is 1 of them is going to be gay. You can shame them into silence, you can burn them at the stake, you can stone and hang them (like they do in Iran), but in the end, you can't really fight biology (or God's will?).
                      this post = teh win.

Comment

Working...
                      X