Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

What does HYE mean?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What does HYE mean?

Hi friends, I registered in this forum many days before. But I realized that I didn't know what the name of this forum mean.

Can you explain what HYE is? Is it in Armenian?

By the way, I am not Armenian and I can't speak your language.

Peace..

Re: What does HYE mean?

Originally posted by Folk View Post
    Hi friends, I registered in this forum many days before. But I realized that I didn't know what the name of this forum mean.

Peace..
    HYE is the the Armenian word for "Armenian"
    "Nobody can give you freedom. Nobody can give you equality or justice or anything. If you're a man, you take it." ~Malcolm X

Comment

Peace..
      To the best of my understanding, 'Hye' is from the root word of Hayastan... which translates to 'Armenia' in the Armenian language. For example, the same way Germans refer to themselves as Deutsch/Germany as Deutschland.

But I too, cannot speak Armenian.

Comment

Hay or Hye if you wish (pronounced like the English word high) derives from the Armenian kingdom of Haya which is recorded in 2,600 BC in the Ebla inscriptions (along with the chief deity Hay-Ea-Enki). Armenia is also mentioned as Hay(asa)-Azzi in the Hittite inscriptions of second millennium BC.

Comment

I see... Thanks for your help.

Comment

Originally posted by Catharsis View Post
            Hay or Hye if you wish (pronounced like the English word high) derives from the Armenian kingdom of Haya which is recorded in 2,600 BC in the Ebla inscriptions (along with the chief deity Hay-Ea-Enki). Armenia is also mentioned as Hay(asa)-Azzi in the Hittite inscriptions of second millennium BC.
            There is no evidence that the hayasa were the same thing as Hayk/Hay.

There are only shreds of of details about the Hayasa social organization, for example, this correspondence between the Great King Suppiluliuamas and Hakkini (a king or prince of the Hayasa) :

Originally posted by wikipedia
            In a treaty signed with Hakkani, Suppiluliuma I mentions a series of obligations of civil right:

"My sister, whom I gave you in marriage has sisters; through your marriage, they now become your relatives. Well, there is a law in the land of the Hatti. Do not approach sisters, your sisters-in law or your cousins; that is not permitted. In Hatti Land, whosoever commits such an act does not live; he dies. In your country, you do not hesitate to marry your own sister, sister-in law or cousin, because you are not civilized. Such an act cannot be permitted in Hatti."
            We also have some evidence of battles between the Hittites and the Hayasa. But regarding their culture and their LANGUAGE we know nothing.

Thus, equating Hayk with the Hayasa is just speculative. The Hayasa apparently were not based neatly in the core of the Armenian highlands, especially not where Urartu sprang up around lake Van (with important centers also in Erebuni (Yerevan) and Artsakh.)

Hayasa was probably around the northeastern shore of the Black Sea in Anatolia: http://armenian-history.com/Nyuter/H...d%20others.jpg

If you want to suggest that the name Hay comes from them, you must show more evidence supporting it as plausible.

I'm not advocating that Armenian history begins in the 6th century with the Orontids, but I am also fed up of Armenians trying to piggy-back into remote history with utmost certainty by claiming direct descent from such little known civilizations as the Hayasa, and even the Hurrians (though it is plausible to me that we assimilated a great deal of the later's culture and we have some important loan words from a very old strata of our language's history)

The best thing we could possibly do in dealing with the Hayasa academically is to find attestation of their language, which we have not. The fact that we haven't alone renders the popular tactic of relating their name to "Hay" in Armenian worthless, as we cannot appreciate their phonology, we don't even know what language family they come from, and we don't even know their self-designated name (their name Hayasa is only attested in Hittite and perhaps Elba as you suggested, though I haven't seen the latter [Can you link me to it?])
            Last edited by jgk3; 11-15-2009, 01:57 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by jgk3 View Post
              There is no evidence that the hayasa were the same thing as Hayk/Hay.

There are only shreds of of details about the Hayasa social organization, for example, this correspondence between the Great King Suppiluliuamas and Hakkini (a king or prince of the Hayasa) :
              Actually the supposed derivation of Hayk for Hay and Hayastan is incorrect. We have much more evidence for Hay(asa) than for Hayk, which if anything would be from Hay and not the other way around.

We also have some evidence of battles between the Hittites and the Hayasa. But regarding their culture and their LANGUAGE we know nothing.
              I would not use wikipedia as an reference to be honest, since virtually anyone can edit there and does (without academic credentials). In the Indo-Europeans and Indo-European language Tamaz Gamkrelidze and Vyacheslav Ivanov give detailed breakdown of the names of Hayasan kings, queens, princes, princesses, cities and provinces pointing out that they are Indo-European in origin and have direct connections with later Armenian cities.

Thus, equating Hayk with the Hayasa is just speculative. The Hayasa apparently were not based neatly in the core of the Armenian highlands, especially not where Urartu sprang up around lake Van (with important centers also in Erebuni (Yerevan) and Artsakh.)
              When did I equate Hayk with Hayasa? In fact I am stating that it is the other way around. Another mistake is to actually use Urartu which is simply the Assyrian name for the Vanic Kingdom.

Hayasa was probably around the northeastern shore of the Black Sea in Anatolia: http://armenian-history.com/Nyuter/H...d%20others.jpg
              No one knows, because we have not found the state archives of Hayasa and the borders that you note only show the incursion of the Hittites who went as far as approximately to the western shores of lake Van.

If you want to suggest that the name Hay comes from them, you must show more evidence supporting it as plausible.
              Read the above work, it truly is an eye opener and is regarder a primer in Indo-European studies. There is also a very good work by Grigor Ghapantsyan entitled Hayasa: Cradle of Armenians.

I'm not advocating that Armenian history begins in the 6th century with the Orontids, but I am also fed up of Armenians trying to piggy-back into remote history with utmost certainty by claiming direct descent from such little known civilizations as the Hayasa, and even the Hurrians (though it is plausible to me that we assimilated a great deal of the later's culture and we have some important loan words from a very old strata of our language's history)
              This is a fallacy. Armenians are not the (only) ones who have pointed out that Armenians are indigenous and have many thousands year history beyond Orontids. Are you familiar with the works of Colin Renfrew, Quentin Atkinson, Russell Gray (or as I noted above) Vyacheslav Ivanov, Tamaz Gamrkelidze, Aaron Dolgopolski, Joseph Greenberg, Merrit Ruhlen or Luigi-Lucca Cavalli Sforza? These are some of the most outstanding scholars in the fields from various disciplines. I can provide the links to their works on Amazon. There are snippets of their (copyrighted) works online also.

The best thing we could possibly do in dealing with the Hayasa academically is to find attestation of their language, which we have not. The fact that we haven't alone renders the popular tactic of relating their name to "Hay" in Armenian worthless, as we cannot appreciate their phonology, we don't even know what language family they come from, and we don't even know their self-designated name (their name Hayasa is only attested in Hittite and perhaps Elba as you suggested, though I haven't seen the latter [Can you link me to it?])
              I don't want to repeat what I said (see above) about Hayasan personal and toponym names which include Indo-European (Armenian) root words.

Comment

I agree wiki is no referance any serious researcher would use. And the north eastern part of the black sea coast is not in anatolia!
                Hayastan or Bust.

Comment

Get Outta Here!
                  Get high on that sweet stuff.

Comment

Peace..
                    It's another way of saying you are Armenian or I am Armenian.

You can say I am Hye
                    Positive vibes, positive taught

Comment

Working...
                    X