Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

Is it just me or.....?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is it just me or.....?

Do armenians not get enough credit? It seems to me that everytime there is something in the american media about an armenian man or woman doing something good, they never mention that he/she is armenian, yet they emphasize, for example, on the armenian identity of a criminal. This story is just another case of an armenian man doing something that is quite remarkable, yet no mention of him being armenian, and we actually get the sense that he is "pure" American, if that term even makes sense.

Watchmaker With Time to Lose

Pasadena Jet Propulsion Laboratory Web Site
    January 08, 2004

Garo Anserlian, master watch and clockmaker

They said it couldn't be done. But in the sleepy little town of
    Montrose, California, nestled in the hills surrounding JPL, master
    watchmaker Garo Anserlian of Executive Jewelers is perfecting
    a timepiece for hundreds of Earthlings bound to Mars' irregular
    day. Past the glass cases of what looks like an ordinary jewelry
    store is a workshop where watches are losing 39 minutes a day.

Rover controllers have to monitor Spirit (and soon, Opportunity)
    all the time; this doesn't just mean 24 hours a day " it means 24
    hours, 39 minutes a day. The martian day is longer than Earth's,
    but this minimal variance can amount to physical and mental fatigue. Every day, team members are reporting to work 39 minutes later than the previous day.

"Everything on this mission is based on local solar time on Mars," said Julie Townsend, Mars Exploration Rover avionics systems engineer. "From home, during the mission practice tests, it was very difficult to constantly translate Earth time to Mars time."

Townsend and her co-worker Scott Doudrick, a systems engineer on the project, set out to find a solution for this otherwordly problem. The pair began to ask watchmakers to tackle the challenge but each one turned them away, saying that it couldn't be done unless they placed a large order (10,000 plus) for quartz-controlled watches; they insisted that attempting to convert mechanical watches was not possible.

A neighborhood store located on a strip of distinct specialty
    shops "not a chain store in sight " Garo's workshop is far from a
    cookie-cutter assembly line. Tables covered with disassembled watches and clocks seem to mirror the intent watchmaker's mind; taking things apart and fixing them is, for him, second nature.

"When I do something I like to know the maximum about it," he
    stressed. "This is not just a hobby, it is my career."

A man who found his passion at the age of eight, an underling to
    his father, now guides his own young apprentice, nine-year-old son, David. Clearly enamored of his father, David relayed his own novice clock-making prowess and declared that he would one day take over the store. When he does inherit the business, he will have benefited from his father's finely honed skills, acquired under master watch and clockmakers in Switzerland and Germany.

Garo acknowledged that the Mars watch request is the strangest he has ever received. It took him about two months to design, fine-tune and streamline the process that would keep the watch on Mars time.

"Since I was a young child I've put my heart into making very precise time pieces, now I was being asked to create a watch that was slow on purpose " it was going to be a challenge if it was even possible," Garo said. "I spent more than $1,000 trying to figure this out "damaging watches, trying different parts, just searching for a way."

Watchmaking is a careful process that involves very small parts and wheels. In order to make the watches useful to the Mars Exploration Rover team, Garo had to physically attach additional specific lead weights thus precisely altering the movement of the wheels and hands on certain existing famous-maker wristwatches. Working on the 21-jeweled self-winding mechanical wristwatches was sometimes frustrating.

"At one point my helpers and I looked at each other and said 'forget it, we're wasting time and money.'" But Townsend and Doudrick wouldn't let him quit. The two came by his shop every week, assuring him that his highly anticipated watches would be a valuable asset to the team.

Garo finished Doudrick's watch first and after initial testing,
    discovered that it was off by no more than ten seconds in 24 hours Earth time " an amazingly accurate feat for an entirely mechanical watch. Now, when the store is fully staffed, the experts can retrofit and thus create about ten watches per day. After he accommodates all rover team members who wish to own a custom-made Mars watch, he will market his patented rarity to the public.

Garo watched with million of others as mission control described
    Spirit's near-perfect landing. But his connection to the mission
    was personal.

"I felt proud; I got goosebumps," he said. "I saw that some of them had two watches on and I thought, one of them was mine! I was proud as an American that it landed and secondly that my watches will be used."

Used, indeed, by a team of scientists and engineers who looked to a truly old world craft for a solution to a very modern problem. And like the rover team, that faced countless challenges and criticism, Garo gets to say, "I told you so" to those who said it couldn't be done.

Baron, I've come to terms with the media a long time ago. It is not an honest purveyor of information.
    Achkerov kute.

Comment

Originally posted by Anonymouse Baron, I've come to terms with the media a long time ago. It is not an honest purveyor of information.
      And it pisses me off.

Comment

Originally posted by Baron Dants And it pisses me off.
        Me too!

Comment

Well, don't listen to the media, and you won't get pissed off. Get your news from alternative media, not what's mainstream and most likely owned by the 6 Jewish CEOs, oops I'm being "anti-Semetic".
          Achkerov kute.

Comment

Originally posted by Anonymouse Well, don't listen to the media, and you won't get pissed off. Get your news from alternative media, not what's mainstream and most likely owned by the 6 Jewish CEOs, oops I'm being "anti-Semetic".
            Yea, I get most of my news off the net now, from different sources, while still following the mainstream media, just to compare.

As for the jewish CEOs, it is best not to talk about them, because you know, the Jews have had a Holocaust. Thank you.

Comment

baron you mean to tell me that you didn't know about this?

everyone in pasadena knew it. Infact it was in the Star News and it said local armenian-american helping NASA be on time.

Comment

Originally posted by Anonymouse Well, don't listen to the media, and you won't get pissed off. Get your news from alternative media, not what's mainstream and most likely owned by the 6 Jewish CEOs, oops I'm being "anti-Semetic".
                Free press is a constitutional amendment which garuntees our freedom of information with out danger of censorship. We as citizens can thus be truly enlightened and educated as to the events in our great nation. Such policy has kept this nation among the most honest in history. Believe the media Baron and Anon, it will lead you to truth.

And dont make general statements. All general statements are false.

Vote for me!

(Please, it was a joke , I am now going to surf. Good bye)

Comment

well you have a great time surfing, and about the watch man

this guy has already began marketing the idea, cool another armenian hopeful millionare in the making.

Comment

and it's not just the media, it's everywhere, you probably all heard the Damadian story.

Comment

Working...
                    X