Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

How Much of the Bible Must Be Historical to Believe?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: How Much of the Bible Must Be Historical to Believe?

That is not what religion says. Many religions including chrystianity look at good and bad as absolutes.
    Originally posted by KanadaHye View Post
    Good and bad are objective judgements depending on point of view. What we generally view as "good" are things that benefit the majority while things that we consider "bad" are those that hurt the majority. In other words, good and bad aren't absolutes.
    Hayastan or Bust.

Comment

Originally posted by Siggie View Post
      I'm focusing on what the book says. Which limited reading of the bible has you walking away only with love and forgiveness? For every such message there are like 10 more of vengeance, hate, intolerance, etc.
      Christianity emphasizes the teachings of Jesus that come in the New Testament. This is at the core of Christianity. Hence, I emphasize these teachings. And Love being the fundamental concept of Christianity all together is something you really need to understand.

Originally posted by Haykakan View Post
      This is typical of religious folks. Lets credit god and religion with all the good things and lets blame all the bad things on man and the devil. If you credit man for the bad things then why not credit him with the good things to. Religion makes man out to be a idiot that is incapable of anything on its own and that is what people who use religion want but that is far from the truth. Why use a doublestandard against your own kind? Just stand up and take credit for the bad and the good instead of making up bs stories.
      No. Christianity is not a religion that is imposed on a person, it's not a religion that's filled with strict rules/customs to follow like Judaism/Islam. Christianity professes a set of values and principles to live by and to make your own in bettering your mortal life, it grants a freedom that the other two religions don't grant. There's a freedom of choice that Judaism/Islam lack also, and it's important to understand this.
      Մեկ Ազգ, Մեկ Մշակույթ
      ---
      "Western Assimilation is the greatest threat to the Armenian nation since the Armenian Genocide."

Comment

All religions are imposed on people. The example i gave of a young girl saying Obama should not be president because he kills babies was a great example of this. When people are born the religion of that society is always imposed on them at a young age they do not have a choice.
        Originally posted by Mos View Post
        Christianity emphasizes the teachings of Jesus that come in the New Testament. This is at the core of Christianity. Hence, I emphasize these teachings. And Love being the fundamental concept of Christianity all together is something you really need to understand.

No. Christianity is not a religion that is imposed on a person, it's not a religion that's filled with strict rules/customs to follow like Judaism/Islam. Christianity professes a set of values and principles to live by and to make your own in bettering your mortal life, it grants a freedom that the other two religions don't grant. There's a freedom of choice that Judaism/Islam lack also, and it's important to understand this.
        Hayastan or Bust.

Comment

All religions are imposed on people. The example i gave of a young girl saying Obama should not be president because he kills babies was a great example of this. When people are born the religion of that society is always imposed on them at a young age they do not have a choice.
          I'm talking about the nature of Christianity in comparison with the other main religions of the world. The fact is in Christianity there's much more freedom to choice, while in Judaism/Islam it's all about following rules, customs, and being submissive as a result. That's a key difference. Everyone can twist and turn every religion, but it's the essence of that religion which remains constant.
          Մեկ Ազգ, Մեկ Մշակույթ
          ---
          "Western Assimilation is the greatest threat to the Armenian nation since the Armenian Genocide."

Comment

I find this funny. People who are born in America or Canada consider themselves Christian but most often they haven't a clue what Christianity is about. The only religion imposed on people in North America is Judaism.

I'm focusing on what the book says. Which limited reading of the bible has you walking away only with love and forgiveness? For every such message there are like 10 more of vengeance, hate, intolerance, etc.

You need a bible for dummies... you can't learn right without knowing wrong. Those messages are there as examples of what was done wrong in those times. There cannot be justice without punishment.
            "Nobody can give you freedom. Nobody can give you equality or justice or anything. If you're a man, you take it." ~Malcolm X

Comment

I don't see anything in the bible that is unique or groundbreaking. Eastern religions like Buddhism and Confucianism contained many concepts we think of as 'Christian' hundreds of years before Christianity, and so did Manichean and Zoroastrian philosophies. This is a strong indication that humans don't get morality from religion but rather religion gets its morality from humans.

Comment

Even if you at the very least acknowledge it was written by persons (the disciples?) and edited - ie some gospels made it in, others didn't - then there's room there too for the morality reflected within to have come from people, society, the times. You must concede this type of influence if you now believe the slavery and barbarism (demanding a stoning death sentences for the same offenses as it says).

Kanada, there you go again suggesting filtered/edited sources with the Bible for Dummies recommendation... Indicative of whether you yourself have read large portions of the "good" book yourself, perhaps? Do you also read Cliff/Spark/etc. Notes instead of the work of literature itself?
                [COLOR=#4b0082][B][SIZE=4][FONT=trebuchet ms]“If you think you can, or you can’t, you’re right.”
                -Henry Ford[/FONT][/SIZE][/B][/COLOR]

Comment

Kanada, there you go again suggesting filtered/edited sources with the Bible for Dummies recommendation... Indicative of whether you yourself have read large portions of the "good" book yourself, perhaps? Do you also read Cliff/Spark/etc. Notes instead of the work of literature itself?
                  Reading the bible is like reading any other piece of literature.... it's open for interpretation. For example, a lawyer reading the bible is like a red neck reading a law book. Neither will absorb much from the words.

Since I was born all knowing with perfect judgement, such basic levels of theological literature are too simplistic for my liking.

Indeed. As I pointed out earlier, some of the highlights of that value system include prescriptions for how to treat rape victims, homosexuals, nonbelievers, and slaves.
                  What are the prescriptions we use today? Probably the same except with a heftier price tag.

Also, I'd like examples in history where "non believers" or "atheists" had to run from their homeland to escape persecution.
                  Last edited by KanadaHye; 11-13-2012, 06:23 AM.
                  "Nobody can give you freedom. Nobody can give you equality or justice or anything. If you're a man, you take it." ~Malcolm X

Comment

Originally posted by KanadaHye View Post
                    Reading the bible is like reading any other piece of literature.... it's open for interpretation. For example, a lawyer reading the bible is like a red neck reading a law book. Neither will absorb much from the words.
                    Aha! Progress. So you acknowledge that it is not a factual book.

You say something promising and then you follow it up by a nonsensical and non-humorous attempt at a joke. Why would lawyers be less capable of making sense of the bible than the average person? Surely you don't believe holders of a professional graduate degree to be somehow cognitively inferior to the general population?

What are the prescriptions we use today? Probably the same except with a heftier price tag.

Also, I'd like examples in history where "non believers" or "atheists" had to run from their homeland to escape persecution.
                    Oh dear! Unbunch your briefs! Abort the attack on Pharma for you have misunderstood! I didn't mean that kind of prescription. I meant it like the adjective prescriptive; I guess the noun form isn't as popular in common usage.

As I don't like to engage in frivolous exercises, I will withhold such search until you can explain how that's relevant. If nonbelievers had never been persecuted on a grand scale in the past because of the ubiquity of religion, what would that demonstrate? Would it make it any more wrong for the bible to call for their stoning? Would it change the print in the bible so that the words vanish if adherents to the religion have conveniently ignored some parts of the book in favor of emphasizing other parts?

Besides, what exactly are you trying to argue with me? Are you saying the bible doesn't say to do these things? Pepsi asked me why I don't believe the bible and I explained why. I don't see where there's room for your disagreement in that.
                    [COLOR=#4b0082][B][SIZE=4][FONT=trebuchet ms]“If you think you can, or you can’t, you’re right.”
                    -Henry Ford[/FONT][/SIZE][/B][/COLOR]

Comment

Oh dear! Unbunch your briefs! Abort the attack on Pharma for you have misunderstood! I didn't mean that kind of prescription. I meant it like the adjective prescriptive; I guess the noun form isn't as popular in common usage.
                      No really? I REALLY thought you meant pharmaceutical prescription.... I think you misunderstood my use of the word "PRICE"

i.e. that which must be given, done, or undergone in order to obtain a thing: He gained the victory, but at a heavy price.

Comment

Working...
                      X