Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

Movies that stand the test of time

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Movies that stand the test of time

Let's talk about movies then.

Dr. Strangelove
    or How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb

If you haven't seen it, you should. This movie is one of Stanley Kubrick's masterpieces. If you need more than intelligent dialogue to keep you interested, it has some pretty funny parts (a lot of black humor). It's interesting how some things stand the test of time. The movie gives a satirical view of government and nuclear holocaust. Here's the deal: an insane US military general (General Jack D. Ripper) gives an order that will end in nuclear holocaust while the rest of the government frantically tries to stop it. George C. Scott's performance in this movie as Gen. 'Buck' Turgidson is nothing short of awesome, and Peter Sellers does well in this film too, a somewhat serious deviation from his previous work in the Pink Panther series (yes jahannamig, it's the pink panther ).

Dr. Strangelove is also the source of this famous line said by President Merkin Muffley after a scuffle breaks out in the middle of a meeting: "Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room!"

Here's to movies that make you think.

Strangelove's plan for post-nuclear war survival involves living underground with a 10:1 female-to-male ratio.]
    General "Buck" Turgidson: Doctor, you mentioned the ratio of ten women to each man. Now, wouldn't that necessitate the abandonment of the so-called monogamous sexual relationship, I mean, as far as men were concerned?
    Dr. Strangelove: Regrettably, yes. But it is, you know, a sacrifice required for the future of the human race. I hasten to add that since each man will be required to do prodigious... service along these lines, the women will have to be selected for their sexual characteristics which will have to be of a highly stimulating nature.
    Ambassador de Sadesky: I must confess, you have an astonishingly good idea there, doctor.

[The President calls the Soviet Premier to tell him that Russia is about to be obliterated.]
    President Merkin Muffley: [to Kissoff] Hello?... Ah... I can't hear too well. Do you suppose you could turn the music down just a little?... Oh-ho, that's much better.... yeah... huh... yes... Fine, I can hear you now, Dmitri.... Clear and plain and coming through fine.... I'm coming through fine, too, eh?... Good, then... well, then, as you say, we're both coming through fine.... Good.... Well, it's good that you're fine and... and I'm fine.... I agree with you, it's great to be fine.... a-ha-ha-ha-ha... Now then, Dmitri, you know how we've always talked about the possibility of something going wrong with the Bomb.... The *Bomb*, Dmitri.... The *hydrogen* bomb!... Well now, what happened is... ah... one of our base commanders, he had a sort of... well, he went a little funny in the head... you know... just a little... funny. And, ah... he went and did a silly thing.... Well, I'll tell you what he did. He ordered his planes... to attack your country... Ah... Well, let me finish, Dmitri.... Let me finish, Dmitri.... Well listen, how do you think I feel about it?... Can you *imagine* how I feel about it, Dmitri?... Why do you think I'm calling you? Just to say hello?... *Of course* I like to speak to you!... *Of course* I like to say hello!... Not now, but anytime, Dmitri. I'm just calling up to tell you something terrible has happened... It's a *friendly* call. Of course it's a friendly call.... Listen, if it wasn't friendly... you probably wouldn't have even got it.... They will *not* reach their targets for at least another hour.... I am... I am positive, Dmitri.... Listen, I've been all over this with your ambassador. It is not a trick.... Well, I'll tell you. We'd like to give your air staff a complete run-down on the targets, the flight plans, and the defensive systems of the planes.... Yes! I mean i-i-i-if we're unable to recall the planes, then... I'd say that, ah... well, ah... we're just gonna have to help you destroy them, Dmitri.... I know they're our boys.... All right, well listen now. Who should we call?... *Who* should we call, Dmitri? The... wha-whe, the People... you, sorry, you faded away there.... The People's Central Air Defense Headquarters.... Where is that, Dmitri?... In Omsk.... Right.... Yes.... Oh, you'll call them first, will you?... Uh-huh... Listen, do you happen to have the phone number on you, Dmitri?... Whe-ah, what? I see, just ask for Omsk information.... Ah-ah-eh-uhm-hm... I'm sorry, too, Dmitri.... I'm very sorry.... *All right*, you're sorrier than I am, but I am as sorry as well.... I am as sorry as you are, Dmitri! Don't say that you're more sorry than I am, because I'm capable of being just as sorry as you are.... So we're both sorry, all right?... All right.
    Last edited by ckBejug; 01-24-2004, 01:36 PM.
    The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposing ideas in mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function. -- F. Scott Fitzgerald

When did you move in with Afro?

That film was brilliant, by the way.

Personally, I suggest The Graduate for everyone on this forum, especially who are at or nearing the end of their college days, and for Slimrod because of his mom fetish.

Comment

Achkerov kute.

Comment

Originally posted by Anonymouse
        Hey mousey, how do you like the fact that they're remaking WillyWonka? Johnny Depp as Willy Wonka, directed by Tim Burton, should be pretty interesting....
        Last edited by ckBejug; 01-25-2004, 12:06 PM.
        The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposing ideas in mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function. -- F. Scott Fitzgerald

Comment

It'll never beat the first one.
          Achkerov kute.

Comment

Depp and Burton doesn't sound too bad but it'll be hard for it to even touch the OG.

All the movies I'm thinking of are just my favorite movies that are 15 years or older so I'm not even going to bother listing them.

Comment

Ok, this is the thing1 i saw Memento.
              Now what i got from that movie is that the movie is backwords movie nothing in particular. IF i got it wrong whoever saw it and understood it, plz explain it!!!!

Cos everyone says that movie is this and that, bla bla bla

Comment

my movie knowledge sux

i havent seen willy wonka or dr strangelove or the graduate or any of the good movies you guys keep mentioning.
                guess i should get myself a blockbuster membership, which i kinda hate, cuz I KNOW FOR A FACT i'm gonna turn in the stuff late.

Comment

Originally posted by jahannam my movie knowledge sux

i havent seen willy wonka or dr strangelove or the graduate or any of the good movies you guys keep mentioning.
                  guess i should get myself a blockbuster membership, which i kinda hate, cuz I KNOW FOR A FACT i'm gonna turn in the stuff late.
                  I understand not seeing The Graduate or Dr. Strangelove but you haven't seen Willy Wonka? You don't have a Blockbuster membership? Jesus.

Comment

scarface is a good movie
                    Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                    X