Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

UC admissions policies

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ILOVETATA I don't see why SAT's really matter. If someone wants to go to college and get an education then they should be gived the opportunity. It's all about education and motivation.
    Yes, they SHOULD be gived the opportunity. And perhaps also GIVEN the opportunity... That's why there is such a thing as a community college.
    The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposing ideas in mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function. -- F. Scott Fitzgerald

Comment

Re: Re: UC admissions policies

Originally posted by SagGal the part about ppl not being college material if they get below 1000, is such a lie. SAT's r not the only thing that count 4 admission, don't 4get the personal statemets and something called......oh idk.........GRADES and EXTRA ACTIVITIES. A person with an SAT score of 520(yes, very bad) got accepted to UCB on some sport scholarship.
      and just like flames said, "brag, brag, brag"
      That's my entire point. A person who scores a 520 on the SAT does not deserve to get into UC Berkeley while another person with a 1400 is denied admission. That is unfair, plain and simple.
      Last edited by ckBejug; 02-25-2004, 12:11 AM.

Comment

lol... 520 on SAT??? holy sh**!! well, to be honest, i sat for the SAT I, and i got 1250... 650 for Math and 600 for English.. I can't even imagine how someone with a score of 520 can ever get into university........ WOW!!!!

It's actually the same situation here in Toronto, where people who don't know the basics of English take the space that should be given to those who can actually LEARN something because they understand the language.. so instead they put them in one ESL class (like they're gonna learn English in that one course...) and give them entrance scholarships even... jesus....

Comment

God bless affirmitive action.

If I had the ability to travel time, I'd travel back in time and destroy the the government during the Civil Rights era for instituting this garbage.

Thus we wouldn't have a thread about this now.
          Achkerov kute.

Comment

It would be nice if all of the sixties could be erased, except for the music.

Comment

Re: Re: Re: UC admissions policies

Originally posted by loseyourname You my entire point. A person who scores a 520 on the SAT does not deserve to get into UC Berkeley while another person with a 1400 is denied admission. That is unfair, plain and simple.........
              wtf is ur problem? just cuz u don't agree don't mean u gotta be an xxxxxxx.
              now for the part about ppl with a 520 getting into UCB and someone with a 1400 not getting in, that rarely happens but sometimes it is fair. I know someone who got into UCB with a 520 because his personal statement was really good, GPA was very close to 4.0. Something like 3.8 or. 3.9. And had a lot of extra curricular activites and volunteer work. That counts. SAT's don't mean xxxx when u got all of that extra stuff. Watch your mouth lose, i'm so frikkin serious about that! damn
              Last edited by ckBejug; 02-25-2004, 12:10 AM.
              I see...

Comment

Re: Re: Re: Re: UC admissions policies

Originally posted by SagGal I know someone who got into UCB with a 520 because his personal statement was really good, GPA was very close to 4.0. Something like 3.8 or. 3.9. And had a lot of extra curricular activites and volunteer work. That counts. SAT's don't mean xxxx when u got all of that extra stuff. Watch your mouth lose, i'm so frikkin serious about that! damn
                What the hell are you going to do to me, little girl? I guess I better watch out, huh?

This isn't what we're talking about here. This thread is aimed at people who get in because of special consideration being given to minority students after affirmative action was made illegal in the state of California.

Now don't go yelling at me about cursing at you four days after telling me to cool off and not take the personal insults I get from forumers so personally. Take your own advice.

Comment

there is no way on earth someone's gonna get 520 on SAT when one has an A average..... only people who get Ds will get 520 on the SAT. jesus, it's not that hard, eh.... as for personal statements, what-the-f***ever that means..? sounds like BS to me. anyhow, while high school performance is not a marker of success at university, it is the only thing (along with coherence of results in other tests) that can distinguish one student from the other... not all thoe who get As in high school succeed at university. and the reason they require SAT (or other such tests) is to see whether your results correspond to the marks on your transcript.. 520 on SAT and an A average in high school? i think not. that'd happen only if one sleeps through the entire test..

Comment

Originally posted by Dan 520 on SAT and an A average in high school? i think not. that'd happen only if one sleeps through the entire test..
                    I don't know how it works in Canada, but here in the states we have something called grade inflation, in which teachers are pressured to give higher grades in order to make the school look better. Part of the point of the SAT is to level the playing field between students who attended high schools that gave ridiculously easy A's and those who attended very difficult schools.

Comment

Originally posted by loseyourname I don't know how it works in Canada, but here in the states we have something called grade inflation, in which teachers are pressured to give higher grades in order to make the school look better. Part of the point of the SAT is to level the playing field between students who attended high schools that gave ridiculously easy A's and those who attended very difficult schools.
                      lol.... hmmm, well, i don't know how the system works in Canada either, as I didn't attend high school in Canada. But, i think the education system in Ontario (if not all of Canada) has gone down significantly due to the massive amount of immigrants and the consequent lowering of standards (lame, eh?)...

As for what you said about the levelling out, you might be right, and i see the logic in it. but i mean, no matter how easy the high school gives As, i mean, they're not giving As to those who would normally get Fs, right? so i don't see how they would get 520 on the SAT.. anything below 1100 is way too low for university. maybe they should try kindergarten.

Comment

Working...
                      X