Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

Armenian lesbians/gays

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Armenian lesbians/gays

Originally posted by Siggie View Post
    That's interesting, I didn't see her saying that at all. She simply described the dynamic in her family and expressed a preference for that. Where did she say she defeated the oppressive male system? I don't think she even presented her household growing-up that way.

And if she had said that...
    Is it really different from implying that women who don't subscribe to the "traditional" gender roles are promiscuous (and of course that's not the word that was used).
    Well, I don't get where Armenian women get off by saying that the men hold them back... in most cases Armenian fathers end up paying for an education for their daughters while the sons pay their own way or go straight to work after high school. At least that's the way I see it in the diaspora. Then the daughters complain about how the Armenian men are uneducated so they end up with odars. Seems like a catch 22 doesn't it.
    "Nobody can give you freedom. Nobody can give you equality or justice or anything. If you're a man, you take it." ~Malcolm X

Comment

Originally posted by KanadaHye View Post
      Well, I don't get where Armenian women get off by saying that the men hold them back... in most cases Armenian fathers end up paying for an education for their daughters while the sons pay their own way or go straight to work after high school. At least that's the way I see it in the diaspora. Then the daughters complain about how the Armenian men are uneducated so they end up with odars. Seems like a catch 22 doesn't it.
      Now we're talking! There is just as much pressure on men to fit into pre-ordained lifestyles, and men perceive that they are valued by their families based upon how much money they earn. Therefore, they may not pursue higher education beyond what they need in order to make enough money to establish themselves as legitimate earners, as "real" men. And women, who don't have that kind of pressure, do go and acquire higher education. But then you end up with this terrible large-scale mismatch. You end up with men who don't have the level of education of the women, and who, as a result, have not had the opportunity to question the beliefs they inherited from their families. Meanwhile that is what happens in 4 year liberal art colleges, and in graduate programs in things other than math, some hard sciences, engineering, etc. If a man hasn't bothered to immerse himself into literature and the humanities, he will have very little in common with a woman who has a degree in political science, or art history, or history, or psychology, or comparative literature. It's a shame, really.

I know many Armenian women who are educated, self-sufficient, independent and who would like to meet Armenian men with whom to make a life. What happens is that, after dating several, they realize they have two choices. Either stay single forever or marry out. Men, by a similar token, end up either marrying women younger than themselves, or women who come from the "old country", or women who are not Armenian. There is still this crazy deluded notion in circulation that, with enough money a man can have any woman he wants.

Armenian men are just as much victims of the system as women are. It's like the tea party folks: They are fighting to the death for causes that are contrary to their own best interest.

Comment

Originally posted by Flamenkita View Post
        Now we're talking! There is just as much pressure on men to fit into pre-ordained lifestyles, and men perceive that they are valued by their families based upon how much money they earn. Therefore, they may not pursue higher education beyond what they need in order to make enough money to establish themselves as legitimate earners, as "real" men. And women, who don't have that kind of pressure, do go and acquire higher education. But then you end up with this terrible large-scale mismatch. You end up with men who don't have the level of education of the women, and who, as a result, have not had the opportunity to question the beliefs they inherited from their families. Meanwhile that is what happens in 4 year liberal art colleges, and in graduate programs in things other than math, some hard sciences, engineering, etc. If a man hasn't bothered to immerse himself into literature and the humanities, he will have very little in common with a woman who has a degree in political science, or art history, or history, or psychology, or comparative literature. It's a shame, really.

I know many Armenian women who are educated, self-sufficient, independent and who would like to meet Armenian men with whom to make a life. What happens is that, after dating several, they realize they have two choices. Either stay single forever or marry out. Men, by a similar token, end up either marrying women younger than themselves, or women who come from the "old country", or women who are not Armenian. There is still this crazy deluded notion in circulation that, with enough money a man can have any woman he wants.

Armenian men are just as much victims of the system as women are. It's like the tea party folks: They are fighting to the death for causes that are contrary to their own best interest.
        Statistically, if you look at education levels, you'll see that women outnumber men in post secondary education. Where do men stand? Usually working in auto plants, production facilities, construction, mining... the dirty but necessary jobs that keep the world going. Companies are hiring women out of college and university by the droves.... it's good for business but bad for society. Pre-ordained? Maybe. However, if you know that there is a filing order and you don't want to be classified in a filing cabinet that someone has made for you then you have to find a way out
        "Nobody can give you freedom. Nobody can give you equality or justice or anything. If you're a man, you take it." ~Malcolm X

Comment

Interesting. Let me tell you a Diasporan tale of a brother and sister.

The sister started working at age 16 and worked her way through college, graduate school, and more graduate school. She left, was unemployed about 7 months and then found a job and is presently employed. She got no kind of allowance after becoming employed at 16 and paid for much of her personal needs (clothing, gas, car payment, car insurance, entertainment, etc.) and the parents (not father, it's BOTH parents' money) paid tuition when there wasn't a scholarship or grant to fund the education.

The brother didn't work until much later, maybe about age 20. He worked for about 6 months and then left that job. A year or so later, he got another job which he kept for almost a year. When he got laid off from that job, he decided it was too much to do both and he'd focus on finally graduating. He graduated nearly 3 years ago and is still unemployed. Part of that because he decided to supplement his coursework with some additional training at a local college. The parents gave him an allowance, paid for his gas, insurance, car, etc. and the money he earned he spent on his personal purchases (e.g. clothing, entertainment, electronics, etc.). The parents paid his tuition.

Other Diaspora families I've seen give their children the same opportunities as well. What they do for one child, they do for all.
          If anything, I see some devaluing of education for the female children because they don't think the women need it (they don't need to be competitive in the job market when they're going to get married and raise children at home instead, right?). This, at least among Armenians I interact with, isn't so much that they won't pay for the daughters' educations if she desires to go, but instead that it's not encouraged to the same degree.
          [COLOR=#4b0082][B][SIZE=4][FONT=trebuchet ms]“If you think you can, or you can’t, you’re right.”
          -Henry Ford[/FONT][/SIZE][/B][/COLOR]

Comment

Originally posted by Flamenkita View Post

Stressing the bolded. Seen this in my experience too.
            [COLOR=#4b0082][B][SIZE=4][FONT=trebuchet ms]“If you think you can, or you can’t, you’re right.”

Comment

Hey y'all need to lay off bashing my buddy Kanada here ... EVERY good multi-page discussion needs the completely unwavering and absurd point of view to keep it going But as far as insulting, I wouldn't take any insults kanada throws out too personally.

I mean where else are you going to get amazing facts like "Statistically, if you look at education levels, you'll see that women outnumber men in post secondary education." (I know you mean Armena but it it would help to clarify that )... perhaps from the same line of reasoning that brought us the famous "Ancient greeks and romans were far more advanced than us"
              Last edited by Sip; 05-16-2012, 11:49 AM.
              this post = teh win.

Comment

Originally posted by Sip View Post
                Hey y'all need to lay off bashing my buddy Kanada here ... EVERY good multi-page discussion needs the completely unwavering and absurd point of view to keep it going But as far as insulting, I wouldn't take any insults kanada throws out too personally.

I mean where else are you going to get amazing facts like "Statistically, if you look at education levels, you'll see that women outnumber men in post secondary education." (I know you mean Armena but it it would help to clarify that )... perhaps from the same line of reasoning that brought us the famous "Ancient greeks and romans were far more advanced than us"
                No man, those are real world figures. There are more women getting degrees than men since men can work jobs that require labour without education. Makes sense if you think about it.

Comment

No man, those are real world figures. There are more women getting degrees than men since men can work jobs that require labour without education. Makes sense if you think about it.
                  Last I checked women can clean toilets, empty trash cans, and pick fruit too.

Where are these statistics you're looking at? I work at a college and have to report this sh!t day in and day out (to the state, country, chancellor, and various campus programs/depts) and we're roughly equal between genders overall unless you're defining in the strictest sense and calling anything over 50% a majority. If you divide by disciplines, you might see it slant.

Comment

It's more even at my college, but I'll help you out... Here's Glendale Community College where there's a massive Armenian student population.

It got to 60% female and now it's swinging back... Sooooo disproportionate.

-----------

Originally posted by Sip View Post

this post = teh win.

Comment

The liberal "cultured" women in Armenia crack me up. Their views are often very naive and based on what ever Western propaganda they hear in Levon's media outlets or organisations like "Pink". They are usually ashamed of their culture and prefer the globalised culture of the West (which I wouldn't call a 'culture') Fortunately they are a small minority. And most look like the two in the photo (the two in the centre )

Մեկ Ազգ, Մեկ Մշակույթ
                      ---
                      "Western Assimilation is the greatest threat to the Armenian nation since the Armenian Genocide."

Comment

Working...
                      X