Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

Importance of Cultural Solidarity

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Re: Re: In reply to loseyourname...

Originally posted by Baron Dants It is particularly BECAUSE you are a Native American that I assumed that you would understand our situation. Didn't the missionary schools deprive your ancestors of speaking their own language? Why did they do so? It facilitated their assimilation...Which is probably the reason why you have never had the opportunity to learn Cherokee..and why Native American art and culture is not developping any more than it alrady has. Same situation applies here.
    You're right. It pisses me off to know that many of my ancestors, and all mestizo people today, are Spanish speakers. It's an insult to the native people that we were forced to adopt the habits, religion, and language of the people who came in, raped our women, killed our warriors, and corrupted our children. I even have a Spanish surname and I'm ashamed to know that I'm at least partially descended from Conquistadores. I don't mean to be of any offense to the people on the forum living in the Americas, but it may be the ultimate insult that immigrants from around the world are welcomed with open arms, can come here and make a living when they have been displaced from their home lands, while my own people, who have claims to this land going back 20,000 years, are given nothing.

Comment

Re: Re: Re: Re: In reply to loseyourname...

Originally posted by loseyourname You're right. It pisses me off to know that many of my ancestors, and all mestizo people today, are Spanish speakers. It's an insult to the native people that we were forced to adopt the habits, religion, and language of the people who came in, raped our women, killed our warriors, and corrupted our children. I even have a Spanish surname and I'm ashamed to know that I'm at least partially descended from Conquistadores. I don't mean to be of any offense to the people on the forum living in the Americas, but it may be the ultimate insult that immigrants from around the world are welcomed with open arms, can come here and make a living when they have been displaced from their home lands, while my own people, who have claims to this land going back 20,000 years, are given nothing.
      You see? This is how stuff like "hybridization" were caused. It will always be the stronger, more brutal forces (in this case, the Spaniards), taking over and assimilating a more peaceful, and in my opinion, more noble civilization (in this case, the Native Americans). Native American culture could have flourished and could still be flourishing now if your ancestors had been allowed to keep their language, habits, religion, rituals, etc. And God knows the Western world today could have learned many many things from that culture (such as the respect for nature). This is why I am against the hybridization of the whole world because in the end, it will obviously be the more opressive culture that will take over, and other cultures, with their values and riches, will fade away...

The resemblances between the Native Americans and the Armenians are striking. At least the Armenians, despite all the tragedy of our history, have had the luck of having at least a piece of their land known as Armenia. I wish the Native Americans had had such "luck" too.

It personally pisses me off when at major American events (like the Salt Lake Olympics), they bring a Native American tribal chief, as if to show that they play an instrumental part in the country. Puer publicity....
      Last edited by xBaron Dants; 02-17-2004, 09:17 PM.

Comment

There is a huge difference between one culture coming in and conquering another, and two people from different cultures falling in love and deciding they want to procreate. It is not as utilitarian as you make it out to be.

Comment

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: In reply to loseyourname...

Originally posted by Baron Dants It personally pisses me off when at major American events (like the Salt Lake Olympics), they bring a Native American tribal chief, as if to show that they play an instrumental part in the country. Puer publicity....
          It pisses me off when a US state gets itself into debt and Arnold Governator decided to come in and use bully tactics to extract tribute from sovereign nations that exist within. It pisses me off George Bush says quite openly that he would annex further Native territory if oil was found on it. It pisses me off that the US census bureau labels Hispanics as "Caucasian" because they were raped by Spaniards five hundred years ago. I could go on.

Comment

Originally posted by loseyourname There is a huge difference between one culture coming in and conquering another, and two people from different cultures falling in love and deciding they want to procreate. It is not as utilitarian as you make it out to be.
            Alright, that is true, and I didn't mean for it to sound that way.

But in most cases, the outcome, in the long run, would still be the same. For example, if a Native American marries a non-native American, chances are that the kids will grow up not knowing much about the Native American culture, and will identify more with the non-Native one.

Or if a Greek woman and an Armenian man marry in the States, chances are the kids will be raised to only speak english, as neither the mother will speak Armenian, nor the father will speak Greek. You CAN argue that that is a positive, but I just see that as the slow dissolution of two rich cultures.

And keep in mind that things ARE different when you compare Armenians and Italians, for example, as most of Armenia's population IS in the diaspora, and they must play a big role in keeping our culture alive. Otherwise, nothing will prevent Armenia from disappearing, and Turkey taking over the remaining 10% of our lands...

Comment

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: In reply to loseyourname...

Originally posted by loseyourname It pisses me off when a US state gets itself into debt and Arnold Governator decided to come in and use bully tactics to extract tribute from sovereign nations that exist within. It pisses me off George Bush says quite openly that he would annex further Native territory if oil was found on it. It pisses me off that the US census bureau labels Hispanics as "Caucasian" because they were raped by Spaniards five hundred years ago. I could go on.
              How much territory are the Natives "given"? (sounds so pathetic that they have been "granted" territory by the generous Americans").

How is the administration? Any Native American congressmen?

Comment

Honestly, Baron, given the struggle that you're in, I think you should attempt to marry within your own culture. It should be a goal to shoot for, but at the same time, it should not be an ultimatum, and it should particularly not be an ultimatum for cultures that are not threatened with extinction. Don't forget that Armenians themselves are an amalgamation of many ethnic influences, as testified by the fact that you all look so different. New and wonderful cultures can arise from the joining of previous ones, and it need not be at the expense of parent cultures.

Another thing. If you are in a struggle for land, why do you keep leaving? What good are you doing your land by not being on it?

Comment

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: In reply to loseyourname...

Originally posted by Baron Dants How much territory are the Natives "given"? (sounds so pathetic that they have been "granted" territory by the generous Americans").
                  Desert outposts. That is all. You want an example of genocide? Read up on the trail of tears. The Cherokee nation did everything asked of it to appease the US government. It adopted so called "civilized" life and democratic government, but as soon as gold was discovered in Georgia and North Carolina, they were forcibly displaced to Oklahoma and Texas on foot with virtually no provisions. Most starved to death on the way there.

How is the administration? Any Native American congressmen?
                  Very few, and none are prominent.

Comment

Originally posted by loseyourname Honestly, Baron, given the struggle that you're in, I think you should attempt to marry within your own culture. It should be a goal to shoot for, but at the same time, it should not be an ultimatum, and it should particularly not be an ultimatum for cultures that are not threatened with extinction. Don't forget that Armenians themselves are an amalgamation of many ethnic influences, as testified by the fact that you all look so different. New and wonderful cultures can arise from the joining of previous ones, and it need not be at the expense of parent cultures.

Another thing. If you are in a struggle for land, why do you keep leaving? What good are you doing your land by not being on it?
                    Wow, I am glad to see that you have finally understood my point of view. Good to see people who actually DO listen to what other people say.

You know, as different as we look, I (and most other Armenians) can always tell when someone is Armenian.

As for the land, I agree with you entirely...I am born in Syria because my grandparents were driven out of Western Armenia, and I have arrived in Canada because it gives me so many opportunities, as opposed to Syria. One of those opportunities being to return to Armenia, which I will definitely do some time after I complete my education, and my family will finally return on their own lands.

That's it for tonight. I shall scurry off to bed now.
                    Always a pleasure.
                    (my, what a courteous flamers forum).

Comment

Originally posted by loseyourname Honestly, Baron, given the struggle that you're in, I think you should attempt to marry within your own culture. It should be a goal to shoot for, but at the same time, it should not be an ultimatum, and it should particularly not be an ultimatum for cultures that are not threatened with extinction. Don't forget that Armenians themselves are an amalgamation of many ethnic influences, as testified by the fact that you all look so different. New and wonderful cultures can arise from the joining of previous ones, and it need not be at the expense of parent cultures.

As I said, the similarities between the fate of Armenians and that of the Native Americans, despite all their differences, are striking. Both have become second class citizens on their own land. Not even second class....10th class...

Comment

Working...
                      X